Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 10:14 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevon Green View Post
I've watched countless P & Z and City Council Meetings on Channel 3, Suddenlink over the last 20 years. I decided to ATTEND my first in person meeting. Expecting a very "intense" discussion. At least a two hour no break discussion. The reporters article is fairly concise, yet comprehensive of what was presented.

One HUGE take away, both the P & Z did not "extra" time to prepare for this, and even more important, those representing the developer were not prepared to present or expecting to present a "financial impact" on the "dollars" that would be created and added to the city property taxes revenue or city sales tax revenues created. In other word the POSITIVE economic impact was not presented.

Finally, I watch the Chinese prospective developer, Tan, seated on the first row far left seat, during the presentations. I was several rows behind him. As the meeting ending, attendees, talking with each other, or leaving. Not intending to say ANYTHING, I walked by, within a foot, of Tan, still seated next to his "wife"?, anyway, they were the ONLY two people still seated. I had intended to just "shake his hand" and tell him I hoped something could be worked out, and leave. It turned out we talked for at least ten minutes before I left. I explained to him, what I thought was the NUMBER ONE most important "point" to be understood, this got involved, but I had a chance to explain, the city simply has no MONEY to spend on this project, that even if this was an approved expenditure by voters, getting infrastructure built, WHICH was not approved in a city wide election in 1995, the city could NOT increase the low tax rate, because of State of Texas limits on what percent the city could raise taxes, oh heck, this is too complicated to explain here.

Simply the city can NOT afford to offer police, fire, water, sewer, etc. because the tax rate is SO low, HE, MR. Tan, would have to decide if HE wanted to pay for EVERYTHING needed to complete his project. I suggested if HE did, then have his attorneys contact the CITY attorney and see if a contractual agreement could be made with the city, for to pay "up front" as the project was being built, or "deposit account" for the development. Not an attorney, so the legal minds, would have to work this out, if possible.

NOW, nowhere to DATE, has TAN ask the city to PAY or furnish ANYTHING. Several speakers pointed out this DEVELOPER had the CASH MONEY, unlike almost anyone else, who would need to obtain commercial financing and all that "red tape" and time.

I man, standing there, MR. Tan, with the ABILITY today, to take all the steps to build, IF he wanted too.

This property, as pointed out has been under consideration for at least 4 major projects in the last 20 plus years, in 2006, I think, it was reported as the LAST time, just before all FINANCING for most commercial projects in America, "dried up" you, know those old enough to remember, the near collapse of the American economy. I remember the last HUGE excitement over the development of this HUGE area, larger than this, even well advanced that this, site plans, detailed drawings well past all zoning needs.

In short, good or bad or whatever, Mr. Tan will likely take all his tax revenue to some other area. Who, KNOWS, maybe this IS best, keep Tyler as IS and maybe Tyler can overcome all it's revenue needs in the next 10-15 years. Just need to "pray" cross your fingers, and hope, thousands of more people don't spend a significant amount of there purchases online, where legal or not, most sales taxes, or at least 50% of purchases no sales taxes are collected for the state and cities,Tyler.

Who knows,Tyler leaders are "crossing" their fingers that the city can get by, by raising the property taxes the one or maybe two cents each year, the most allowed by state law, until the tax rate has reached a "sustainable" amount of revenue to operate all the needs of the city. This is their only option now. This could easily take 15 years. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 10:24 PM

Their a zoning request for the next meeting of Planning and Zoning, for development on the 2 acre tract of beautiful, huge forested corner of Cumberland Road and South Broadway, you know the SE corner next to Academy, I knew "one day" most all those trees would likely be clear cut, the land made barren as Academy did, but I figured, it would be someone with "big bucks" with likely something "neat" unusual to be built.

Now hold on, are you HOLDING tight? Are you sure? maybe you should sit down, or better yet, you might fall out of your chair, the bed might be best, you lying down, "completely flat" NOOOOOOOOOOOOW that should do it, OK, READY. A car wash is to be built.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 03-06-2018 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 06:42 PM

566 posts, read 390,670 times
cbs19.tv | West Tyler development: What you need to know

Old 03-08-2018, 06:40 AM

29 posts, read 31,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevon Green View Post
My personal opinion is that if a private developer wants to start a project, the primary motivation to do so is profit. I also feel that if a private developer wants to profit off a project, $0 public dollars should be spent to do so. Therefore, if public services need to be created/upgraded to support the project, and they are reasonable, then the private developer should be footing the bill.

If the private developer, after looking at all of the costs, decides that there isn't enough profit in the project, then they don't have to proceed. But this long notion that private money should profit off of public money because, well heck, the public benefits too....Silly in my mind.

My feeling is that this project would be largely beneficial too all, but that there are real challenges that would need to be dealt with. It will be interesting to see how this proceeds...if it does.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPerry View Post
My personal opinion is that if a private developer wants to start a project, the primary motivation to do so is profit. I also feel that if a private developer wants to profit off a project, $0 public dollars should be spent to do so. Therefore, if public services need to be created/upgraded to support the project, and they are reasonable, then the private developer should be footing the bill.

If the private developer, after looking at all of the costs, decides that there isn't enough profit in the project, then they don't have to proceed. But this long notion that private money should profit off of public money because, well heck, the public benefits too....Silly in my mind.

My feeling is that this project would be largely beneficial too all, but that there are real challenges that would need to be dealt with. It will be interesting to see how this proceeds...if it does.
Again, what I was trying to say, in this case the city has no money, from current funds to offer services needed, and more importantly, no legal way to raise the city property tax rate to bring in the funds needed. Again, state law prevents cities from raising the tax rates above a certain percent each year, WITHOUT an election by the city obtaining APPROVAL from the citzens for the proposed tax rate increase.

This is what I was attempting to explain to Mr. Tan. HE would need to provide the money, if 1) He wanted to, 2) Attorneys involved could/would determine this is possible, by some contractual agreement by the parties involved. Again, I did not intend to even speak to Mr. Tan, but he was two feet away, just sitting there, and I have my doubts if anyone would simply explain to him that the city, most likely CAN'T provide the services, he would have to pay, if he thought it would be worth it.

Yes, unless Mr. Tan provides the funds, likely this is just another "flopped" proposed development of the property.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Do they need officers or extra firemen for all the growth that's happening on Old Jacksonville Hwy? What's the difference between that and what he wants to build on the west loop. Nothing but the fact he doesn't need them and they won't have any control over him.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:28 PM

Default I'd like to report some good news, that can't conceivably be "spun" as negative.

Recently, last 3 - 6 months, the months sales tax allocations back to the cities, Tyler, have been mostly up, each of the last several months over the same month a year ago. This months report released today, the city sales taxes are up over 10% from last year where as the state average is just 7%.

Sure some cities more "oil related" economies, are up 20-40 percent. but, what this means for Tyler's "very,very tight" budget" at least there should be NO additional cutting of services, or maybe no need for planning for such "cuts", few, option if any left. Heck, maybe there can be some return to thinking of possible capital expenditures for the many needs of the city, that have been put on hold, until revenues increase or least don't decrease. So some GOOD news.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/transp...tax/cities.php

Listing of all the cities in Texas

Old 03-09-2018, 12:33 PM

Good jobs report for Tyler for the month ending January, released today.

February's monthly report to be releases March 23.

I should point out, a cities rank, from 1 - 25 can vary, sometimes greatly, from month to month.

http://www.tracer2.com/admin/uploade...sa_ranking.pdf

Old 03-09-2018, 09:02 PM

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/co...dab612bce.html

Old 03-15-2018, 09:58 PM

Just saw this, didn't think much of "it" until I read the article. Some people should really enjoy this place.

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/tr...85b8bcdeb.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler