Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 11:15 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,039,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPerry View Post
Mark, I didn't mean to imply or insinuate anything one way or the other about you, or anyone else for that matter. I hope you didn't take it as such!

I've spent a lot of time all over this country, I've been in small towns and big ones, but the majority of my life was spent in big cities. I'm glad to not be there in that anymore. That said, Tyler isn't perfect by any means, but it is the area that we chose, so for me and my family, that tells you what our preferences are.

I do recognize the real dilemma when you have this much wide open space, and every town wants to get a little further ahead. The example of Hwy 69 and I-20 is a perfect demonstration of this in real life. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it happened the way that it happened. Some will agree and think how it happened was the right way to go, others will disagree and say that Tyler should have done differently. Such is the case with almost everything in life I suppose...

While it might be real easy to debate the merits or pitfalls of this decision or that, it is also real easy for some of us to forget that of all the available choices, this was the best one. I am fortunate enough to have plenty of time to contemplate that, and do so regularly. I am thankful to call this home.

By the way, I'm good whichever way that Tyler goes, growth or no, as long as they do it responsibly. Wasting taxpayer dollars on pet projects doesn't get my okay. But being resistant to change simply because it's change is not a good reason either. And I'm happy to see the expansion at Times Square Cinema. I think that will be a real bonus for a lot of folks.
Great, I actually understand, lol. Thanks, great response. Yes, all and all, I chose Tyler above anyplace in Texas now, at my very senior age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 01:22 PM

Yes, this would normally qualify as "small news" are just looking for "something to post news:" for Tyler this is big news, for the second or third month in a row, sales tax revenues, up almost, 10% for this month over the same month last year, which is the state average as well, so not behind the state average either, as has been the case for the last two years or so.

In a city with a budget "crunch" this is GREAT news. Tyler is more "oil related" or dependent, than I thought, likely, the reason for recent "surge" in sales tax revenues" over last year, oil almost $70 bucks a barrel helps Tyler?

Old 06-09-2018, 05:36 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Yes, this would normally qualify as "small news" are just looking for "something to post news:" for Tyler this is big news, for the second or third month in a row, sales tax revenues, up almost, 10% for this month over the same month last year, which is the state average as well, so not behind the state average either, as has been the case for the last two years or so.

In a city with a budget "crunch" this is GREAT news. Tyler is more "oil related" or dependent, than I thought, likely, the reason for recent "surge" in sales tax revenues" over last year, oil almost $70 bucks a barrel helps Tyler?
May be! All I know is that my husband's career is in oil and gas. We've spent more money since oil prices picked up and his job became more secure (and he is paid more also). We reined it in when things were shaky.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:14 AM

563 posts, read 382,469 times
https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/sa...4854d908a.html

Old 06-10-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevon Green View Post
Yep, like the article said, now, the best recently, it should have said in several years, and yes, they've got it right, but be very careful, in their spending forecast. This I AM certain, they will be very careful. Yes I knew this, great news, up nearly 10% last month for same month last year. Things now, look much better, my fingers a crossed that it will last until something big can assure a longer term rosey picture. Great for now.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:26 PM

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/up...0039b320e.html

Old 06-27-2018, 10:36 PM

Default I was looking for a little an article with a little more detail of what the current plans could/would look like.

Tyler housing project that could generate $1.4B to move forward - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Old 06-27-2018, 10:45 PM

Default Maybe even a little more detail article.

Application for Chinese development zoning change in Tyler withdrawn - EastTexasMatters

Old 06-27-2018, 10:57 PM

JUST DO IT: Nike to open in Tyler on Thursday - EastTexasMatters

Old 06-27-2018, 10:59 PM

http://www.easttexasmatters.com/news...ion/1267476955

Tyler city limits "touch" or abut, I-20 for the first time.

This is only news, in the sense that city planners back in the late 1950's or very early 1960's wanted to protect this intersection, I-20 and U.S. 69 from ANY possibility in the FUTURE that any OTHER city than Tyler would be able to have any of the four corners of this intersection INSIDE their city limits.

This is why Tyler annexed Highway 69 North from Loop 323 to Swan, annexing just Highway 69 not any of the property on the Left or Right of 69, West or East, just the highway. Close enough to control the ownership of that major tax revenue producing corner for "future" generations, or like for Tyler citizens of TODAY.

But, our current mayor and the consent of council gave Lindale 3 corners of the intersection and all the NOW taxable property. Yes, just gave, the property right to Lindale. The stated reason, I heard from the lips of the mayor, was simply, we just want to be a "GOOD NEIGHBOR" lol

As I stated maybe three times on here, this mayor gave, Tyler property rights, our ETJ rights to a total for FOUR count them, 4 cities, Lindale, Chandler, Whitehouse, and Bullard, again, the stated reason, if you can believe the truth, "we just want to be a GOOD neighbor.

Did he and council have a crystal ball that told them clearly Tyler will NEVER desire the legal ETJ right that you FREELY with no compensation EVEN, just gay away.

So much for my venting.

Oh, well Tyler is on I-20 officially now, lol I wander does the connection now run all the way done south to the Tyler city limits sign in Swan? Which then runs to Loop 323 in Tyler, Maybe an explanation of that will come out in the next 10 years, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler