Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2019, 10:43 AM

566 posts, read 390,670 times

Advertisements

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ty...34ae6b495.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 07:58 PM

https://www.cbs19.tv/mobile/article/...c-68531d08500b

Old 07-08-2019, 08:05 PM

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/sm...b2df6db9c.html

Old 07-09-2019, 08:37 AM

https://www.easttexasmatters.com/vid...-be-in-danger/

Old 07-09-2019, 08:41 AM

https://www.news-journal.com/general...7413988da.html

Old 07-09-2019, 10:43 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevon Green View Post
Wow, I would not think it was a GOOD "thing" to make the NYT with "this" write-up. I know, Longview is really trying to grow, improve, get good jobs, they always have "tried" in the 60 years that I have been following them and Tyler.

I thought several times that they should just "take off" from all that they have tried. They offer millions of dollars, over the years, to entice, or "land" corporations to the area. Usually, providing either, land, buildings, or normally, paying a set amount per job, created by the new or expanding company. Such as 2,000-3,000 per job, costing 500,000 to a million out of THE BUDGET.

Per a 1995 election, Tyler can not use revenue funds for these purposes. Longview's tax rate is .51 per hundred valuation, Tyler's is .245. Meaning Longview's is 100% higher, more than double that of Tyler's.

However, Longview's tax rate is average to slightly better than most cities in Texas. Tyler's is a rate, that HAS to creep, which it has from .20, in the last few years. IMHO, you can't provide services, that is, maintain, the same level of GOOD or better or best services at that rate. Tyler's bragging about having the lowest city property tax rate in Texas, of any city over 18,000, is nice, however, almost led to severe consequences, when the city lowered Tyler's rate from .60 to .20. City leaders ran a good or even great thing, "into the ground" as the old saying goes, lowering taxes, to a point, where you can't provide services, if revenues do not continue to come in as you budgeted, PLANNED, then you are in "need deep" trouble. Cut, city staff, freeze staff, Tyler began to cut parks dept employees, to the point of nearly no one to maintain the parks, I know, you say so what not important, but if WOULD be important when other departments were to be cut, one day, police or fire employees. Also, don't forget all the projects the city would like to do for us, are postponed until "next year" roads started to get in worse shape. Yes, things have stabilized for now, as I said earlier.

Anyway, crises passed, when the price of oil went back up, beer and wine, sales were allowed, thus sales taxes increased. However, the crisis may return, when oil goes back down in price per gallon, and the younger generation continues to buy more and more on line: most items bought on line are NOT subject to sales taxes, as they are in the stores in the city, Tyler.

Anyway, Longview just may one day grow as desired, any year now, major growth has been the plan for decades. Decades in Tyler that is not the plan the reverse is the plan no to very slow growth is the plan. That is ok IMHO, as long as there is slow growth. Another chapter in my text book, to explain that, lol

Chapter 23 of my text book coming soon, stay tuned. lol

Old 07-09-2019, 06:48 PM

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/sm...6b2e0de23.html

Old 07-09-2019, 09:16 PM

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/te...2872d1fd4.html

Old 07-09-2019, 09:45 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,859 times
Quote:
are people here in tyler that obsessed with golf? i'd rather have some heated indoor wading pools, not lap pools, to enjoy year round. goes to show i'm not a sun worshipper myself

Old 07-09-2019, 09:54 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Quote:

I'm "advanced in age" OLD, but I would love to see this picture become a reality. This would bring it back to almost or in some ways better than I remember before the majestic, state like capital, which was the OLD Smith County Courthouse, was torn down in mid 1950's and ugliest court house I have EVER seen built.

Big huge still demolishing "balls" should have been used to obliterate that ugly "thing" years ago, city has talked about what to do with or too the courthouse for over 30 years, yet it still "holds" the eye sore spot of downtown. Someday, I will tell you "what I really think about that courthouse". lol

I've actually seen someone respond to the Tyler paper about what she thinks about the courthouse. Let me see if I can find that. She much more articulate than I or me or whatever is the correct grammar. lol

WOW, to my surprise, people actually respond in the comments section in the Tyler paper. Here goes enjoy!

Any courthouse plan, hopefully would be to destroy the current courthouse, which was outdated for capacity, 30-40 years ago. It is an eyesore DECO type building that was built in the design of the 1950's. Yep, for progress, tore down one of the looking court houses in Texas, and replace IMHO, one of the very worst looking courthouses in the 254 counties in Texas, no I haven't seen them ALL, but I've not seen any that looked worse.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 1d
David Sundin
What, you don't like our brick stump?
Like · Reply · 11h
Kenny Carleton
The current Courthouse typifies downtown...drab, square, empty, lacking imagination, short on functionality, short on parking, lacking of civic pride, technologically challenged, dull, obsolete and unpleasant. We're Tyler!
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 12h
Shane Jones
Wow, mainly little private investment to make it downtown "work." Not a dollar of city money will be spent, however, we can all "gleam" from that MUCH bragged about .245 city property tax rate, the lowest in the entire state, of any city of a population of 18,000 or higher. Yes, a LOW tax rate is desirable, but do we have to be the LOWEST. A property tax rate of .40 would still be in the LOWEST 1/4 or bottom 25% in the state, providing at this higher rate, we could have better paved streets, MORE benifits, to living in Tyler, which is already IMHO, a very good place to live, better than any size city in Texas, comparable to Tyler's population. I could write a entire, long book on this and much more. Tyler, "everything" is my hobby, I watch planning and zoning, and city council meetings on the cable, channel 3, yeah I know, I know, I don't have a life. lol
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 9h
Shane Jones
I should have reread my reply, make it, downtown "work". Also, the city has not been able to agree on a newer LARGER convention center, for decades, city has land given to them on South Broadway, but could not agree, because a PRIVATE investor would not foot a large enough investment. Tyler NEEDS an event center, or could use one, at little cost to citizens, but with great returns for most citizens.

Side note, because of a small convention center, Tom Mullins, head of economic development, has stated for almost ten years, that Tyler losses 20,000 convention nights per year, due to shortage of…See More
Like · Reply · 8h
Kenny Carleton
Shane Jones I agree with the assessment that there's room for a property tax hike, and all the while keeping it low enough to please the masses..especially coming off the TISD bond. I like a whole lot of Tyler, that's why we chose to live in the area. And I think there's a fair amount of folk who would like to see a "serious" revitalization of the downtown area. A new courthouse would be a good jumpstart, and very much needed. If there could be incorporation of a suitable amount of parking garage say..underneath, and the building could have some pleasing qualities about it, and it wasn't ugly to the eye.....well, fun to dream...
Like · Reply · 8h
Kenny Carleton
Shane Jones And as we spiral toward more and more online shopping, my fear is saturation to the point of boarded up buildings. Then what? You drive past all that to the "but hey..at least our Courthouse is purdy" area?
Like · Reply · 8h
Facebook Comments Plugin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler