Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:30 AM

143 posts, read 192,827 times

Advertisements

If we have to stop and spend one night in a hotel, on our way south, what are the safest areas to stay? Any areas to avoid? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 07:43 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
In Lindale, it's all the same, safe as most anyplace, nice newer, motels, hotels. Maybe, the three hotels, just North of I 20 on Highway 69 across, to the West of Walmart, may be the best choices. Where are you headed? Safe travel !!

Old 11-20-2015, 08:32 AM

143 posts, read 192,827 times
Thank you! We're headed to Fort Walton Beach!

Old 03-14-2016, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,118 times
Default Diverse cultural events in Tyler, Tx

My husband will be retiring/ military in June, we plan to return to his hometown of Tyler, Tx. We have traveled extensively and have lived in large cities with very diverse populations. We already have a home in Tyler and have lived there off and on since December 2015, so we realize there is little or no diversity in the arts or cultural events brought to the city. So, what would be the suggestion on how to 1) find cultural venues, and 2) would this city be open to bringing more diverse cultural events to the city?

Old 03-15-2016, 07:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantozoe View Post
My husband will be retiring/ military in June, we plan to return to his hometown of Tyler, Tx. We have traveled extensively and have lived in large cities with very diverse populations. We already have a home in Tyler and have lived there off and on since December 2015, so we realize there is little or no diversity in the arts or cultural events brought to the city. So, what would be the suggestion on how to 1) find cultural venues, and 2) would this city be open to bringing more diverse cultural events to the city?
There is a smallish but active group of "cultural arts" folks in Tyler - and it's very diverse. I can get you the contact's information if you're interested. There is a multicultural group that strives to bring different groups together via the arts and religion.

Tyler is a small city. Between various venues, we manage to bring some decent stuff (check out these links). And we are close enough to larger metro areas to be able to enjoy even more diversity within an hour or two drive.

UT TYLER Cowan Center Season 2015-16

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Caldw...17211461630023

Events Calendar - Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce, TX

Old 03-16-2016, 09:54 AM

Thank you, Kathryn Aragon. The sites were very informative, what it showed me, was the lack of diversity in the headliners brought to Tyler. I'm not sure how to change this, but I realize that this may become my next cause.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:05 PM

There has been some diversity, maybe not what you see right now, this minute. But prior events, speakers, The Georgian State Symphony, The Harlem Boys Choir, gee I don't make a point to seek out to remember diverse events. Tyler often has performance that are also seen in Houston and DFW. We may not get them, usually don't on prime nights like Saturday, but during the week. Hang in there.

When I moved back from being in Houston for 30 years, I found the East Texas Symphony to be surprisingly good, yes, not the Houston Symphony where I saw Boston Symphony renowned conductor Arthur Fiedler conduct a Christmas Concert once, but a very nice orchestra in Tyler indeed.

For a somewhat plainer event the East Texas Symphony has a little more "spiced up" performance this Saturday night at 7:30. March 19, 2016.

Maybe Kathryn remembers other more diverse concerts/shows/speakers, off the top of her head, lol. I'm sure the Cowen Center can help you out on acknowledging past events, maybe future events.

Good luck. Best to you !!

Old 03-16-2016, 11:35 PM

Mark Senior,
Thank you for the response!
Although, we are very eclectic in our taste, we like some smooth jazz, Blues or R&B, every once in a while.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantozoe View Post
Mark Senior,
Thank you for the response!
Although, we are very eclectic in our taste, we like some smooth jazz, Blues or R&B, every once in a while.
I don't remember exactly what it was but there was a specific jazz concert within, I think, the last year. As I said I hope you find some of what you need at least. Best to you.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
There's an annual Red Dirt Blues Festival as well as a jazz festival held downtown by Main Street Tyler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler