Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:07 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_julz View Post
I agree, looks like a great little town. Just too far out from Ft. Worth where our son and family live.
I make the Fort Worth trips about 6 plus times a year. Easy drive. I go to Benbrook, North Richland Hills and Eagle Mountain lake, all far West DFW. Easy trip.

Good Luck, as Kathryn said, just ask we will be glad to help if we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 07:34 PM

39 posts, read 70,566 times
Hi Tyler friends! Just thought I would let you know that we found a place to plant our roots. We loved the community feel of Hollytree with the social aspect but could not find anything we wanted to purchase. Soooo we went back out to Eagles Bluff and ended up purchasing property. Working on the house plans now and will break ground after the first of the year.

A lot different from the path we started down but several trips to the Tyler area and all of the wonderful input from many of you was a great help. Excited to be retiring and living in east TX soon!

Old 08-25-2016, 10:40 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Glad you found something. So The Cascades didn't fit either? But I'm sure you looked everywhere, lol

Best of luck to you. If you need anymore information, we will try to help you out !!

Old 08-27-2016, 08:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Hi Tyler friends! Just thought I would let you know that we found a place to plant our roots. We loved the community feel of Hollytree with the social aspect but could not find anything we wanted to purchase. Soooo we went back out to Eagles Bluff and ended up purchasing property. Working on the house plans now and will break ground after the first of the year.

A lot different from the path we started down but several trips to the Tyler area and all of the wonderful input from many of you was a great help. Excited to be retiring and living in east TX soon!
Great news! Have you already chosen a builder? If you're not under contract yet with one, may I suggest Cherie Paro at Granite Girls? She's FABULOUS. I love working with a woman contractor because of the attention to detail that she gives every step of the way. We have only worked with her on renovations (major ones - kitchen, bathrooms, backyard living space) but she is also a builder and if we ever build from the ground up we are definitely going to go with her.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:54 PM

39 posts, read 70,566 times
Thanks Kathryn! We will be working with Trent Williams. Have seen several of his homes and some friends of ours used him and were very pleased. So far the planing stage has been a very good experience.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Thanks Kathryn! We will be working with Trent Williams. Have seen several of his homes and some friends of ours used him and were very pleased. So far the planing stage has been a very good experience.
Well, good luck! I hope you like it here. I moved here 25 years ago and love it here.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:47 PM

121 posts, read 84,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
First of all. Hope you are coming in late March or early April for the Azalea Trail Events. 10 miles driving trails. Tyler will be "greening up" not completely there yet, not until late April. Yesterday 78 degrees, one degree from tying a 120 year high.

Anyway, Tyler does not have really "main streets" for walking, downtown, or you can walk in some of neighborhoods. But mainly you are very close to walking backing, jogging trails. Rose Rudman Trails, South Tyler Trails. Drive a very short distance and enjoy! Not really many places to walk to shop or ear, but again, if you live almost anywhere in Tyler, especially South Central or South Tyler you are five minutes from much or most everything. That where I live. Snacks, comfort food at most anytime up to mid-night.

You do see many people walking their neighborhoods, in the Azalea District and Central South Tyler, inside the Loop, and much of South Tyler. Tyler information has been a lifetime hobby of mine, now 70 years old. So, if you want to hear about some things to do on visit, which, if you ask while you are in Tyler, they're things most Tylerites don't know about or have never done, lol Just email me directly. Hope this helps. I'll try to answer question or refer you to someone who might know. Best to you, Mark

Azalea & Spring Flower Trail | Welcome to Tyler, Texas

Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Southside Park, South Tyler Trails, Tyler Texas

City of Tyler - Parks and Recreation > Park Directory > Rose Rudman Trail
That's good information. As a retiree looking to relocate from a lifetime spent in urban Houston and
Dallas, I'm interested in either Tyler or Hideaway. Which do you recommend? As a landscape designer, I am especially interested in lots of green, trees, lawns, pretty walking trails and pretty views, and even more so in property taxes. It looks from here that property taxes in Hideaway are close to what they are in other big cities, if not more. What is your opinion of the cost of living in Tyler vs. Hideaway, and of the lifestyle. I'm not interested in bars or restaurants but more the beauty of the place and the cost of living.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:57 PM

121 posts, read 84,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Not real familiar with Lake Property around Tyler, but there is a good number of people who live on lakes near Tyler.

Lake Tyler and Lake Tyler East, connected by channel, are nice, lots of homes, older to newer.

Lake Palestine, which is really much closer to Tyler than Palestine Texas. Has several gated communities on it a fairly large lake.

Emerald Bay, about 15 miles, minutes, from the Loop - four land divided highway.

Emerald Bay Club - Bullard, TX

Eagle Bluff -Lake Palestine

Eagles Bluff

Hideaway - Is really Hideaway Lake - a small town recently incorporated as not to be annexed by Lindale

No city government or city taxes. Has small lakes about 3,000 population

Hideaway, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

more information on google

Of course many less expensive places on the nearby lakes

I won't send any more information unless you have specific questions, glad to help, anytime

Mark
That's good information. I am looking to retire in either Hideaway or perhaps Tyler, and I want the prettiest place. As a landscape designer, I am looking for lawns, trees, pretty walking trails and lots of green around me, for views and for daily walks with my dog. Couldn't care less about bars or restaurants. It would appear that the taxes in Hideaway are fairly high - the houses I see online have higher taxes than we do in Houston. That doesn't make sense, so......? What can those taxes be paying for? There don't appear to be any expensive school districts or highways or roads in Hideaway, which looks rural. Is there a MUD in Hideaway? Municipal Utility Districts are a license to steal, which they do, where I am in a Houston suburb. They virtually double one's property taxes.

Any information you might offer on cost of living in Tyler vs Hideaway, as well as differences in lifestyle, would be greatly appreciated. I am outdoorsy, always out walking or gardening or designing landscapes, so the beauty of the environs are of great importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler