U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 01:35 PM

43 posts, read 49,295 times

Advertisements

I have been looking in Whitehouse for a future retirement home. I seen on City-Data stats that the median household income in Whitehouse was over $73K per year. This seems to be quite higher than other parts of Texas where i have been looking. What is the main industry in the area that generates the higher incomes?

I also would like some information on property price appreciation and general comments on living in Whitehouse.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 02:27 PM

547 posts, read 317,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHiker55 View Post
I have been looking in Whitehouse for a future retirement home. I seen on City-Data stats that the median household income in Whitehouse was over $73K per year. This seems to be quite higher than other parts of Texas where i have been looking. What is the main industry in the area that generates the higher incomes?

I also would like some information on property price appreciation and general comments on living in Whitehouse.

Thanks
$73k per year. I don't know about that. Most of the people who live in Whitehouse work in Tyler. The best paying and most steady jobs in Tyler is the medical field.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:46 PM

73k is what the City-Data says. Not sure how accurate that is. So how is living in Whitehouse?
Is the city growing?
Activities ?

Old 04-07-2017, 05:21 PM

547 posts, read 317,363 times
Quote:
73k is what the City-Data says. Not sure how accurate that is. So how is living in Whitehouse?
Is the city growing?
Activities ?
It's a bedroom community of Tyler. All the activities to do are in Tyler. It's a quiet little town.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:22 PM

3,024 posts, read 4,700,462 times
Quote:
Is the city growing?
Activities ?
If you saw Whitehouse, which is made up mostly of suburban homes, for people who work in Tyler. Whitehouse exists mainly because many years ago, people wanted, what they thought, mostly rightly so, were better schools. It is a good school system.

Whitehouse's city limits is less than mile from Tyler's. The main road/highway to Tyler is Highway 110, what we call the Troup Highway, goes to Troup on the other, south side, of Whitehouse.

Most houses inside the city limits are modest, yes, some more expensive. Now, Whitehouse ISD, which actually enters inside the far Southside of Tyler's city limits, has many more expensive home, perhaps or not, this is where City-Data, gets their average income figure.

Now, about a year ago, Whitehouse City officials asked Tyler officials if they, Tyler, would consider annexing Whitehouse, if so, they, Whitehouse would take the proposal to Whitehouse residents. Tyler said no thanks. The reason Whitehouse proposed this, was because Whitehouse's city tax rates is almost 300%, yeah, thats three times higher than Tyler's Whitehouse .63 to Tyler's .22. A great deal for WH, not so for Tyler, lol.

You see, Tyler has the lowest CITY and I repeat, City property tax in Texas of any city over 17,000 population, Some smaller cities "sit" on gas or oil fields, and have lower rates than Tyler, but Tyler can't compete with that. But like Longview at .51, 232% higher than Tyler. All cities over 17,000 have higher city tax rates. Tyler has a much LOWER CITY tax rate. Now, Tyler's county and school taxes are pretty much just state average. But you save big time on city taxes in Tyler.

NO, Whitehouse, inside the city limits especially, is not growing much. No city infrastructure or industry for growth. Water supply problems of several years ago, solved, new agreements, and "water tank built".

You can find fairly inexpensive homes there and the school system and being very near Tyler, and being very near Lake Tyler would be good, reasonable reasons to chose Whitehouse.

Don't have the exact figures, but property appreciation has varied, but last 3 - 4 years about 5-7 percent, best I recall. Of course, it depends on which price range, the lower price range possibly more. Now it's DFW, where there is a real shortage of houses due to, boomtown USA, lol or for that matter other parts of Texas. One shouldn't come to the Tyler area and easily, flip houses, lol. NOT !!! Former real estate broker "speak here" on that last comment.

As stated by others, look to Tyler for activities, you basically live in Tyler, or if you are from a large city you would probably "think" so, or "that way", lol

If you can't find answers somewhere in the Tyler Sub-Forum, just email me directly, many have. If I can't help, I'm sure others on here can help you, if not I'm sure we would be glad to refer you.

I for one, live here as a retire with no longer family ties, but live here by choice. For me, if offers so much more, than many places its' size, especially in Texas, can't/don't offer. Not Utopia, by a long shot, lol, but for Texas, well, it's one of the few "better" places.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 04-07-2017 at 07:39 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the great information Mark Senior. We don't have a city tax per say in Ca. We do pay a yearly county property tax. So tell about the city tax. What is it based on and how is it paid? Dose the city tax also apply to commercial properties? Do you pay a county tax?

Old 04-08-2017, 09:22 AM

3,024 posts, read 4,700,462 times
I'm about to leave the house for the day. Just too beautiful to stay around the house. 75 - 80 degrees. Later to the zoo, and a bunch of errands to run. This link, explains property taxes in Smith County, where Tyler/Whitehouse are located.

Taxes are based on Appraised Value, after exemption, or exemptions, at .xx per hundred dollar taxable value. Like current Tyler .23 per hundred, appraised value $150,000 divided by 100 = 1,500 x .23 = $345 CITY taxes per year, don't get TOO excited yet, lol, school taxes are 1.375 x 1,500 = 2,062.25 per year, now again, read all the information, there are exemption that bring down the 150,000, at least somewhat, and for my experience, most of the time the appraisal district appraised value, worth, of your home is lower than what you pay or sales price. Although, I would get a of argument on CD about that last opinion, lol.

Click on about SCAD
Click on Tax Information

Somewhere it explains each taxing authority.

Talk to you later

Enjoy your day

https://www.smithcad.org/organization.html

Last edited by Mark Senior; 04-08-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 04-08-2017, 03:10 PM

Tax is calculated quite a bit different in Texas then here. With that said just for comparison what would be your yearly total tax be on $1,000,000.00 property?

Old 04-09-2017, 08:49 AM

29 posts, read 27,018 times
Originally from CA myself, property taxes were a bit of a shock. However, with no state income tax, your overall tax burden will likely be reduced.

That said, property taxes are best described as layers. You have the layer of county taxes that applies to all properties in that county. This is a percentage. If you live in the city, then you have the city percentage. Then you have the school district taxes for the ISD you live in, another percentage. If you live in an emergency services district (outside the city), that is a percentage. And if you live in a college district, another percentage. Add all of these percentages up together, and that is your total tax bill.

These are the 2016 tax rates - https://smithcad.org/TaxRates.html. These are percentages. Smith County is 0.33%. If you live in Whitehouse city limits, your taxes will be just under 2.3% of your assessed value. Depending on your exemptions, you could see your taxes being $23,000. However, buying a 1M property out here probably comes with a fair bit of land, which you would likely get an ag or timber exemption which would significantly reduce your tax burden.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:13 AM

being from Ca you know that a 1,000,000 homes property tax in Ca would be around 14K per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler