Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 853 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this gets asked loads, but I couldn't really find much recent info about Tyler. I'm moving on Friday. I know literally no one in town, and no one will know me. I'm a fairly introverted and shy person, but hoping to step out of my comfort zone and meet new people fast.

What's life like there, honestly, for a person like me? I'm 27, female. Outdoors-y, arts-y, definitely a little more left of center politically. I'm nervous I'm just going to be bored to pieces with nothing really to do or not making any friends.

Help me out, fellow Texans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 06:29 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,062,886 times
Well, let's get this part of the forum goin' lol

How did you chose Tyler? Job offer, where are you moving from? Meaning what are YOU "used to" for a comparison, small town mega metro>

They tell me, you can party here, but if it's not "rowdy" enough, then many go to Dallas on weekends.

Hopefully some one will respond soon? Surely someone cares to offer and opinion.

Best to you.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:39 PM

35,521 posts, read 17,818,962 times
Tyler is pretty, as is much of the Piney Woods area of Texas, that Tyler almost borders on.

The people there tend to be friendly, as is true of small town Texas in general, but definitely right of center politically.

Lake Tyler is nice for recreation, and the Tyler Rose Garden in the spring smells like heaven. The charming old downtown brick streets are nice.

If you're coming from a liberal urban area, you're going to have to do some adjusting of your expectations.

Can you give us an idea what field you will be working in?

Edited to add: This might be helpful. The "Tyler Young Professionals Network". Looks like they have several social activities coming up, and the photos make the activities appear well-attended. Happy moving!

https://www.tylerypn.com/

Old 07-28-2017, 06:03 PM

2,317 posts, read 2,551,261 times
OP, welcome to Texas! I moved this year to a town near Tyler from Dallas...believe it or not, you will be able to find us fellow libs out here...just have to give it time, as it truly is pretty conservative for the most part. But the people are very nice, the area is beautiful. Tyler itself is a nice sized town, and it has all the average amenities of a small city in terms of shopping, medical, etc.

I see you are moving from Mississippi...I hope you will find happiness in Tyler...you will also be very near several lakes, the nearest of which is Cedar Creek Lake where I live. Again, people here are so nice; yes there are plenty of what people call "rednecks", you know, big trucks, Trump bumper stickers, etc. But even so, I hope you will find them to be mostly very nice as I have.

Best of luck -- by the way, there are several Meetup groups in the Tyler area. And you will find you are only about an hour or so from everything you would want in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler