Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,575 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved here in late 2015 and have been renting in Flint near the Brookshires on 155. He used to live here from 1993-2007 (before my time) and he persuaded me that this was a great place for us to finally settle down. Unfortunately he did not realize that there have been so many changes.

I have been looking for a house to buy ever since we moved here but....wow.... the prices in this area seem to be pretty expensive. I've lived in Corpus Christi and Spring (north of Houston) and I must say a lot the prices and taxes are higher than both of these areas (Corpus is still higher overall due to the insurance required). After living on the island in Corpus for under $200K, I assumed that I could find something similar here so I'm suffering from a little sticker shock. For example, I found several houses within budget in the Lindale and Whitehouse areas, but the taxes are well over $4500 a year! None of the houses were worth paying that much in taxes.

Of course we have a "list" of wants that are making the search more difficult and I totally understand it will be hard to find all of these things in one property. Does anyone have any tips/tricks or know of any areas to look for. Our lists of wants are:

No in town subdivisions. Husband is a huge hunter and needs a more rural environment for all his bows/guns and other outdoor toys.
Prefer either around acre or a large lot. Willing to take a little less or more acreage depending on the property. Ideally prefer no more than 2.
3 bdrm/2 baths
Commuting is fine but not past 20 miles one way - the main reason we moved from Houston
Ideal budget of under $225k
At least 1500 sq ft
Would like for the interior to not need to be gutted - seems like everything I see is stuck in the late 70's-80's.

Also, does anyone know anything about what it's like to live in The Villages on Lake Palestine? Our rental is just down the street and there are several lots for sale that are side-by-side and are very reasonable considering the location.

We are open to FSBOs and to purchasing land/lot and building what we want. I was a residential & commercial real estate project coordinator for years so I know some tricks to save costs on a new build.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 05:13 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
You've seen my posts on here for years, unless you new to city-data. I'm among many things, a former, repeat former real estate broker IN Tyler. No commission or referrals to come to me for providing you, hopefully some information, maybe nothing I might share, will help you. lol

Maybe those lots in the Villages will work. Hints, what is built around on other lots? Your future value will be determined by what's there NOW, and what could be built later. Restrictions for building on the lots? Are restriction ENFORCED, what do you SEE now? You know, all the common sense questions, how much for water, can you use septic? For SURE for a FACT, what does the state say about lot sizes for septic systems today in 2018, that's changed to more restrictive over the years.

As you said, some of YOUR experiences in these areas should help.

Building may be the best route, if not these lots, then land, but that is another matter entirely. What would be your demands or needs for LAND to build on, MAINLY meaning, what does the area around YOUR land need to look like, are YOU concerned with less desirable properties being around you property, than what YOUR place will be like, 225,000 investments with properties worth maybe 80,000 - 100.000 close by? Not a good idea, lol

I've seen many people build and nice home in an area, and HAVE to sale or to move, thinking they would at least get there money back, but what was AROUND them when THEY built, killed the value they NEEDED in resale.

Or in my case, I tried to buy enough land to protect myself, when I needed to resale and I still came up short, because of what was built LATER, after I built, that lowered my property value of what I THOUGHT would/should have occurred.

The last tid bit is, what occurs all over the area, especially Smith County, people have been moving into the county for well over 60 years wanting a little bit of this and that pieces of lang, and when you are outside of restricted development anything can be built on the property and usually is built. So your value is harder to protect, the smaller the tract.

So, just be careful, however, what you trying to do IS possible, just be patient and look and look, now, how to best look, that is yet another matter. Much property changes hands by word of mouth, or agents already knowing properties, TO BE listed BEFORE they come on line, and having buyers lined up, so the first time you see a property listed, they are actually under contract, and were NEVER ACTUALLY available to the general public. The Broker/Agent just has to OFFICIALLY "run" the properties thru the MLS system. Even thou something is actually long ago, hours, days, sold. Just how it is. Many people have and ARE apparently looking for the same thing you are, but again, don't give up, without a real "fight" for what you want.

I moved from the Houston area, it's great for work and if your young, or have families there, etc, but do you really want to NOW stay there indefinitely? Of course it's up to you.

Taxes, yep, Whitehouse and Lindale ISD or pretty high or average high. But you get what some say better schools, and higher resale of your properties.

Now, OF course stay OUT of ANY city, within their city limits, something you appear to want to do anyway.

Whitehouse taxes are really pretty high, so high several years ago, city officials asked Tyler city officials if Whitehouse were to unincorporate as a city would Tyler consider annexing the whole area. Whitehouse ISD would remain as is, Tyler politely declined, saying thanks but no thanks. lol This WAS in the news, fact, not just...

You see Whitehouses tax rate is about 250% higher than Tyler, go figure, yep, that would have been be a deal for Whitehouse, not Tyler, in many ways. lol

Lindale's City rate, is of course twice, as Tyler, but again, for what you need inside, Tyler city limits would likely not work for you.

So on the big taxes matter, stay OUT of any city limits, you taxes there, you would save a fairly large amount. Now Tyler CITY, not SCHOOL taxes would not be high, at all, NO more than $500-$600 on $250,000.

Where is you starting point for a 20 minute commute one way?

What about school systems, children? personally important for you, but watch resale value?

Now, I don't think Wood county would be in your 20 minute commute, not likely, unless far north Tyler is your starting point, many lower beautiful properties out that way.

Everything from Southeast to South to Southwest, as you know is GENERALLY more expensive, not saying you can't find something around 250,000 maybe that "one" jewel in the rough, at a lower price, why not, lol

I don't know how working with an agent would help, finding the right agent, working the right areas, staying on top of availability is possible but difficult. Agents, work where they can make the fastest and most money, some just the fastest, you know a number of smaller sales, as contrasted with waiting or working on the big ones, this all varies of course.

It can be trial and error on this subject. I would not even know anyone to refer you to, either.

Having said ALL this, you sound flexible enough for something to work out for you, in time.

I don't know anything else at this time to add, not that has helped any at all.

However, if you can think of emailing me, directly, that's great, many others have. I've had to say I don't know, lol. but I will try to refer you. Just recently, I was really stumped, someone asked about a part of the areas, sorta for out, that I really DID NOT know much about.

Rural areas, West, Northwest, Northeast, East may work for you just take your time and be careful.

Best to you

Old 01-11-2018, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,575 times
Thank you so much for the feedback. I will send you a direct message to answer your questions. Thank you for the quick response!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler