Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:00 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,022,685 times

Advertisements

Looking at possible move to Tyler for career opportunity. Dallas job offer is 25% more but don't want to live in a bigger metro area. Moved to TX three and a half years ago from WI and have come to enjoy it here. Love the "winter" hate the summer heat. So, getting to where we want to be but accepting a lower salary means we need a big house on a budget.

Kids are High School down through first grade at home, with a summer resident in the form of a college student at ETBU joining us. Don't need fancy, but really want space and something that will be warm when it's cold out and cool when the summer heat hits. Our experience with the newer construction in TX is - it sucks. Very inefficient due to the pace they are building in AUS and DFW metro areas.

Where are the areas to check out or avoid? Preferences allowed here, i'll take it with a grain of salt. Rural is ok - like one outside of Kilgore that needs a lot of work. We'll see.

Land and build? Is there any local builders that do spec houses or willing to do something without two story foyer and tray ceilings?

Thoughts welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 06:44 AM

Anyone?

Old 01-26-2018, 07:16 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
What's your budget?

Old 01-26-2018, 08:04 AM

7,105 posts, read 11,742,759 times
There's a 5-3-3 on 1/4 acre listed on Realtor.com 5 days ago in Tyler.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:53 PM

We really need to know a budget.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:45 PM

Sorry. Crazy week. Budget probably not more than $200k.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:53 AM

You should be able to find a place in a rural area with that budget. With kids in school, I'd look at how the school districts are rated and take it from there.

Word of caution about Kilgore. I moved there when my husband and I got married, because his son was in school there and he didn't want to move till his son graduated and went on to college. I moved from the Tyler area. Without a doubt, Kilgore was THE HARDEST place for me to fit in that I've ever lived in, and I'm a former military brat so I'm used to moving and finding a way to fit in quickly. I had a good job at a local bank and tried to get involved in the community, in my neighborhood, etc. for YEARS with no luck. I was talking with one of my very few friendly neighbors (who had lived in other places besides Kilgore herself) and expressing my frustration and she told me something interesting. She said, "You have to understand - no one needs you here. Everyone who lives here is FROM here - they went to elementary school and high school together, they've often never even left here - getting to know you and include you is just a hassle to them." BINGO. She was RIGHT, I believe. Out of all the places I've lived in my life (and I've lived in a lot of places) Kilgore is absolutely the WORST place I've ever lived - and that's saying something since I also have lived in Fort Hood. (Ha!)

As soon as my step son graduated, my husband looked over at me and said, "Let's move to Tyler," and I said, "I'm on it." We moved back to the Tyler area and found a great place and I couldn't be happier.

I'm not saying don't move to Kilgore - I'm just saying be judicious and realistic about where you move. Honestly, there's something sort of reserved and standoffish in my opinion about Kilgore and to some extent Longview - an attribute that's just not present from my perspective in the Tyler area, which has a LOT of transplants from all over the world due to the very strong medical and professional business environment.

I was not expecting that at all, because like I said, I've lived in a wide variety of places and states and even countries over my lifetime, with no issues at all. But Kilgore - ugh, I'd never move back there.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:44 PM

Default House Hunting!

It is official. Wife and I are house hunting within +/- 30 miles of Tyler for a 4 or 5 bedroom home for the family. Prefer 5 bdr, prefer larger lot or acreage, definitely max at $200k and hope to be under. Not terribly picky but prefer not to be in a double wide - stick built construction needed. Can be cosmetically flawed if structure good and it is livable for a family of six.

Gladewater? Seems to be a few here that could work.
Big Sandy? Tiny town, which isn't all bad. Anyone have info?
Overton?
Bullard? Heard schools here are good. Nothing 5 bdr here though in our price range it seems.
Kilgore - any other opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
It is official. Wife and I are house hunting within +/- 30 miles of Tyler for a 4 or 5 bedroom home for the family. Prefer 5 bdr, prefer larger lot or acreage, definitely max at $200k and hope to be under. Not terribly picky but prefer not to be in a double wide - stick built construction needed. Can be cosmetically flawed if structure good and it is livable for a family of six.

Gladewater? Seems to be a few here that could work.
Big Sandy? Tiny town, which isn't all bad. Anyone have info?
Overton?
Bullard? Heard schools here are good. Nothing 5 bdr here though in our price range it seems.
Kilgore - any other opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Gladewater would be a smaller town with some appeal to me. Looks like some good housing options.

Big Sandy just seems to wallow up there - personally I think it's just a bit too far flung from either Longview or Tyler to flourish much, and it doesn't have many employers consequently.

Overton and Chapel Hill both may have some good options for you. Not sure about the schools though.

Bullard - pricey, pricey.

Did you consider Lindale, Chandler, Brownsboro, Van, Fint/Gresham, Chapel Hill, maybe even Liberty City? What about Troup or Whitehouse?

Old 02-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Searching all the above online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler