Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2019, 09:22 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times

Advertisements

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/fa...7b6efc6a8.html

Last edited by elnina; 03-19-2020 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Question mark is not a title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 08:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Hey, this may be bad, but I don't care - my husband and I call Green Acres Baptist Church "Six Flags Over Jesus."

Old 04-18-2019, 11:14 PM

270 posts, read 110,247 times
GABC has a horrible choir. I can't even listen to them. They are shrill, out of tune, just awful.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Grievance View Post
GABC has a horrible choir. I can't even listen to them. They are shrill, out of tune, just awful.
NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW You have finally hit a "sour note" lol, with me. To each his/her on, but YOU are so way off. I have sent their DVD, to people in Fort Worth, Houston, Stutttgart, Germany and have heard nothing but raves. Comments have been wow, sure doesn't sound like any Baptist church choir to me, wow, even opera, country, gospel, symphony, celtic, bag pipes, all in one performance, referring to their Christmas concert of 2016. You should see/hear their Christmas Concert. My best friend is German, traveled and travels all over Europe he sees symphonies, concerts and is impressed with GABC. Yeah, a few of the male solos could be better, but at Christmas, go to Dallas, and Prestonwood Baptist and pay your 25 bucks and you won't be more impressed because you paid money.

They have performed in Carnegie Hall in New York to a standing ovation. This summer 300 strong will tour Italy.

So, you must have had a "bad hair day" I mean and "bad hear day" lol

The 4th of July Concert, but not this year, choir had to practice for Italy, requires 5 performances because of the demand to see them.

Now, most people don't exaggerate the trees in Tyler compared to the New England trees, we largely just compare them to trees elsewhere in Texas, IOHP, In OUR humble opinion, there is more of a mix of trees here.

Welcome to the forum, you came on like gang busters. lol

Old 04-20-2019, 09:17 PM

I don't know what a gang buster is.

Perhaps, to be fair, the television captures only some of the frequencies present in the worship service and maybe that is why I'm so bothered by it because the dynamic range of frequencies isn't present there. I'm sorry I'm a bit of a musical chauvinist. It's sad in church music we've gone from J. S. Bach to Toby Mac. The society has fallen so much from the beauty of the prior era and I just don't find that beauty I crave in the GABC music department.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Grievance View Post
I don't know what a gang buster is.

Perhaps, to be fair, the television captures only some of the frequencies present in the worship service and maybe that is why I'm so bothered by it because the dynamic range of frequencies isn't present there. I'm sorry I'm a bit of a musical chauvinist. It's sad in church music we've gone from J. S. Bach to Toby Mac. The society has fallen so much from the beauty of the prior era and I just don't find that beauty I crave in the GABC music department.

Okay, that's milder and you made clearer what you first posted. I'm rather "sensitive" to harsh criticism, lol, of GABC, large part of the reason I stay in Tyler, with no longer any close relatives here, however whatever you like in music is what you like in music. In Kathryn's rather direct and somewhat rude comment about GABC, that's her feelings. We have heard it all. That one, often. Sometimes, the root of it, comes from several directions, IMHO. A top one, is jealousy, largest church in ETexas by far, many simply don't like
religiosity, neither do I, you can be religious about playing golf, you religiously play the game, lol, another reason GABC is simply to strong politically, control Tyler, false, or in today's society, being conservative is simple a BAD thing, actually you are not correctly informed, you're mean, a racist, you're uneducated,
remember, we're deplorable.

Yes, the music at GABC starts as a celebration of Jesus in worship, reduces to more softness, after 5 or 6 songs, GABC believes in worship, the sermon is not the main "thing" or the only thing, for sure. The adult choir is called the Celebration Choir on purpose, lol.

Yes, everyone can worship in anyway they wish, I don't criticize anyway they chose to worship, very quietly, reverently as some would say, you can here a pen drop, or harps only, whatever, hopefully helps you relate to your creator. I don't won't to start a whose right or wrong, or who believes what is right or wrong are we are all nuts at GABC, because you KNOW the Bible say you don't do "it" that way, or don't you know we enlightened ones know "it" all started, with a "big puff", which once was called a "big bang" until they went to "chemical reaction", whatever, lol

I'm done, for sure on religiosity, and hope I did not offend too many good people out there.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:13 PM

206 posts, read 170,921 times
GABC is quite an institution. I don’t mean anything negative toward it by this - just conversation - but aren’t these two the sons of long-time GABC pastor Paul Powell?

Meals On Wheels Executive Director, Brother Face Meth Charge

Old 04-21-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd225 View Post
GABC is quite an institution. I don’t mean anything negative toward it by this - just conversation - but aren’t these two the sons of long-time GABC pastor Paul Powell?

Meals On Wheels Executive Director, Brother Face Meth Charge
I just googled all this, as anyone could, just conversation,lol much I already knew, even of his sons addiction.

Paul Powell was largely responsible for building GABC, not just the structures, lol, into the church it is today. With the current pastor coming on in 1990 to present continuing in Paul Powell footsteps, as "they" say.

Likely, Meals on Wheels sure, the other I seem to remember. But why in the world for heavens sake would you bring this up 12 years later? I can't think of one positive reason, except morbid couriosity or to shed bad light on a family well respected, or at least Paul Powell, good son, bad son. As you yourself pointed out, "I don't mean anything negative toward it by this - meaning you KNOW some of us would see this as negative. But just in case you are not REALLY aware of how your conversation looks.

Son Kent died in April 2016.

https://obituaries.tylerpaper.com/ob...1053&fhid=6513

Yep, VERY highly known and regarded by many outside of Baptist Churches no scandal on him, just for conversation. He retired from GABC about 30 years ago, slightly before I joined, in 1990.

https://baptistnews.com/article/paul...o-replace-him/

Old 04-22-2019, 05:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Having lived in the Tyler area for 25 years, believe me, I am familiar with GABC. I even attended there for awhile when we first moved here. It took me a little while to figure out that, hey, I'm not Baptist. (PROBLEM!) And an aside note, I also don't like any big megachurch, which is what I consider GABC. I don't typically feel drawn to wealthy pastors - not saying a pastor can't be wealthy but in a pastor, a wealthy lifestyle is not a draw to me. I don't much care for the writing style of Max Lucado or the Left Behind series so I had a difficult time having an intellectual discussion with people who attended there.

I will never forget when GABC built it's bigger, newer sanctuary, touring it and being told that it cost $6000 to use it for a wedding. WHOA. And I understand why it costs a lot of money - you'd have to heat it or cool it or whatever, for starters, but oh my gosh, that just blew my mind - and that was around 15 years ago.

Also, a big, big "gripe" of mine is that in spite of it's vast size, GABC doesn't have a private school. I get it - it has a lot of ministries and that's great but no school, with all those members? It's got multiple locations, it's got a lakefront retreat, it's got a gym with fitness classes, but it doesn't have a school - I just think that's missing the boat, but hey, that's just my personal opinion.

I really do feel like it has too much influence politically and socially around here. And I'd say that if ANY church - or institution for that matter - had that much influence. I see other big churches and religious groups in Tyler but they don't seem to have that same pervasive sort of influence.

Oh well. Clearly it hasn't turned me off to living in the Tyler area. Once you are out of it's rotation, you're not impacted by it much. Also, in it's absence, I'm not sure that Tyler would be a BETTER place so there's that.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:13 AM

I don't like megachurches either. I have some commonalities with Baptists, but I don't believe in OSAS or the damnable doctrines of Calvin. I'm an Arminian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler