Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2019, 10:21 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times

Advertisements

Just a side note, the city census annual estimates figures for July 1, 2018, released by the Census Bureau Thursday, shows Whitehouse and Bullard TOGETHER, grew more than usual, reaching almost what Tyler grew in the last year, Tyler's are slowly dropping each year, current year about 919 growth. NO property available for the houses in the end value that people can afford. City has not interest, and no plans of annexing property that those price range houses could be built on, city opinion, sorta unofficial city POLICY.

Whitehouse and Bullard grew a total of 785. Throw in Lindale small growth of 138, the three grew more than Tyler, 923. Just for the heck of it, here are the numbers for the three.

Whitehouse 8,318 to 8,799, Bullard, 3,284 to 3,588, Lindale 6,011 to 6,149, for those who MAY be interested, lol.

Smith county, the official metropolitan, includes Tyler's numbers grew 2,761. The country grew 1,842, or simply stated, the area outside of Tyler in the county grew twice as fast as Tyler, land availability is part of the reason for this.

The numbers: County grew from 227,230 to 230,221 or the 2,761 figure.

Tyler grew (squeezed out) lol, a growth of, 919, from 104,810 to 105,729.
Lastly the annual estimates each year typically or proven very close to the actual COUNT of citizens every 10 years. Yes, thousands are not counted each year, but those "guessed figures" of uncounted people, are NOT, of course, added to the actual counts every ten years.

Therefore you will here city officials and other tout much higher populations numbers for Tyler, anywhere from, now, 110,000 to 115,000 maybe so but they are not counted.

Long explanation needed, but I found out there are many more people living outside of the county even, that are working in Tyler, because Tyler is increasingly the job growth, adding jobs, for the entire region. Job growth is equal to county population growth, why I asked, again, my much used expression, of course lol, because people are driving longer and more often to work IN Tyler.

My point, that is why the streets seem so much more crowded than just 919 more people here than last year, yes there ARE far more people on the streets than that, how many, Tyler officials do not know.

Wow, got to get going, enough already! lol

Last edited by Mark Senior; 05-25-2019 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I'd like figures on the metro area growth because that's what's increasing the traffic the most in my opinion.

For instance, I drive in to Tyler from Chandler several times a week, almost daily in fact. It's only an 8 mile drive but since Chandler is in (GASP) HENDERSON COUNTY rather than Smith County, I'm not sure it is even factored into the total metro area of Tyler. In fact, I know that it's not (it's considered to be in the Athens metro area - which is a laugh), but there is a lot of growth in this area just west of Tyler that's not factored into metro area figures at all.

Nearly everyone I have met since moving to Chandler five years ago works or worked in Tyler, and most people I've met aren't from Chandler or even Tyler. Many are actually from out of state and moved to Tyler, TX due to their profession.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:34 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
I just google American Fact Finder for my data. It has all the latest data for metros, counties, cities (this site covers all cities).

It shows Chandler's July 1, 2018 population, the latest figures released last week, to be 3,095 up from 3,007. Yep, most people drive the short distance to Tyler to work. Yep, again, Henderson County, home for Athens, is up to 82,229 from 81,061
the previous year. I've watched the annual figures given each year for over 25 years, and have noticed those figures are very accurate when comparing to the actual census counts each ten years, not off 1 % in most cases.

Yep, only Smith County is considered Tyler Metro. Once, Henderson County, Chandler, was placed in DFW metro, a short time later removed. I called the census bureau and asked what numbers does it take to place on county into a metro area, don't remember the details but it was near or slightly above 50% figure needed those numbers to work, shop, other wise depend on a county for the county to be considered part of a metro area. Example: Henderson County depended on Smith, Kaufman, Henderson, and DFW metro areas, Kaufman is in DFW metro area. Anyway, I know Henderson County is not in Tyler metro, I have not heard if it is back in the DFW metro are not.

Yes, most of Tyler traffic, as you stated, is not necessarily from Tyler City or Smith County people. When I last worked in Tyler, we had an employee list, of name, address, phone number, because at that time that was permitted, may not be today, we needed to contact each other, meet sometimes at their, home to travel as a group. So me interested in how many people actually live in Tyler, Smith County or another county, out of just less than 100 people, 15 years ago, the percentage were only about 1/3 lived in the city limits of Tyler, another 1/3 lived outside Tyler but in Smith County and even 15, actually maybe 20 years ago, 1/3 lived in another county. The numbers outside Tyler have to be higher now. People worked in every county that abutted the boundary of Smith County. Anderson, Henderson, Van Zandt, Wood, Gregg, Rusk, Cherokee. I thought that Wood County should be added to Tyler, where I lived for 5 years, should be added to Tyler's metro, the people I spoke with came to Smith county for their needs, apparently enough go to Gregg County to keep Wood out of Tyler metro. Most people in Mineola, Quitman, Hawkins come to Tyler. Also, Cherokee County, most people come to Tyler, but not enough numbers, the people in the lower third of the county may go to Nacogdoches, for most of their needs, many homes are being built just south of the Smith County line in Bullard, and part of Bullard is IN Cherokee County, and believe me most of the people in and around Bullard, do everything thing in Tyler.

As has been reported in the paper, the Tyler Police Department, and by the Chamber of Commerce, on an average workday, anywhere up to 200,000 - 225,000 people are in Tyler to work, medical reasons, shop, college, retail, whatever reasons. Therefore, when you see a meager, growth for Tyler of 900 people, that hardly tells the tell, of so much more traffic congestion. Tyler-Smith County is the major economic driver of Northeast Texas, yes, Longview contributes heavily, of course, just not to the extent of Tyler. I don't want to reread for errors, got to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler