Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 04:07 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Climate always changes.
Weather always changes not climate. Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 06:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Nyah, I was being facetious anyway. I know the difference and don't feel the need to prove that I do.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:45 AM

OP, Mark Senior is right to tell you not to be concerned about ice and snow generally. Yes, we do occasionally get both, and in fact, the very occasional ice storm can really be destructive around here, but that's partly because they are so rare that 1) we don't have the equipment to deal with them, and 2) we don't have the people around who know how to deal with them.

Like he said, we generally only get a few inches of snow a year - I like to say that it's generally enough to run outside in the morning and take pictures - because by that afternoon it's likely to be gone, or at the least looking very patchy.

We also tend to get one or two "cold spells" where it gets down into the teens a few nights in a row, but that's also the exception rather than the rule. The rule is that winters are generally mild and pleasant here.

Visit in July or August like he said. That's when the real rubber meets the road around here - it's hotter than Satan's backside then! Around August is when most of my plants on my patio give up the ghost, or start looking really tired and crunchy, even if I water them every day. Even September can be hot - not as hot as July or August but by then the heat has dragged on so long that usually my husband and I say, "Let's get out of here!" and run to a coast somewhere, or at least run far north.

But it's a trade off - long hot summers in exchange for mild, pleasant winters. I'm happy!

Come visit us for a week toward the end of August - then a week in February. That would be my advice.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
And speaking of the difference between "weather" and "climate," not sure how old you are, but when I was a kid we were being taught in school that the next CLIMATE change would be another Ice Age - in our lifetime. Never got that one. Then my kids were taught that the next CLIMATE change would be a rise in temperatures world wide during their life time.

Haven't you ever heard that phrase "climate change?"

Old 06-22-2019, 10:42 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OP, Mark Senior is right to tell you not to be concerned about ice and snow generally. Yes, we do occasionally get both, and in fact, the very occasional ice storm can really be destructive around here, but that's partly because they are so rare that 1) we don't have the equipment to deal with them, and 2) we don't have the people around who know how to deal with them.

Like he said, we generally only get a few inches of snow a year - I like to say that it's generally enough to run outside in the morning and take pictures - because by that afternoon it's likely to be gone, or at the least looking very patchy.

We also tend to get one or two "cold spells" where it gets down into the teens a few nights in a row, but that's also the exception rather than the rule. The rule is that winters are generally mild and pleasant here.

Visit in July or August like he said. That's when the real rubber meets the road around here - it's hotter than Satan's backside then! Around August is when most of my plants on my patio give up the ghost, or start looking really tired and crunchy, even if I water them every day. Even September can be hot - not as hot as July or August but by then the heat has dragged on so long that usually my husband and I say, "Let's get out of here!" and run to a coast somewhere, or at least run far north.

But it's a trade off - long hot summers in exchange for mild, pleasant winters. I'm happy!

Come visit us for a week toward the end of August - then a week in February. That would be my advice.
Thanks. I will try to plan that.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:49 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I am just wondering what the weather over the next 10 years or so, might be; in the event that I move to East Texas to get away from major snow and ice and ice storms.
I don’t live in Texas but my grandparents and parents +siblings do. I’m 60 years old and I remember going to Texas during the summer to visit grandparents, it was hotter then H.ll and went again last summer to visit my brother and still hotter then you know what. I think you will be safe from climate change.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:37 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I don’t live in Texas but my grandparents and parents +siblings do. I’m 60 years old and I remember going to Texas during the summer to visit grandparents, it was hotter then H.ll and went again last summer to visit my brother and still hotter then you know what. I think you will be safe from climate change.
If you read all the posts in this thread. Weather is cyclical, cycles of warmer and colder, scientists who BELIEVE "man" is causing or least contributing to what they call CLIMATE change, have reached this decision with a consensus, group agreement, that their OPINION, is that man is contributing to "a change in the climate." They NEVER say the scientists KNOW, this is a FACT. However, we are told this, as if it is a FACT, or assume, their opinion, as FACTUAL. It just scientists "agreement." OK, probably not, lol

Now, to Tyler, it will LIKELY always be as hot as hell in the summer in Tyler. I grew up here, I'm old almost74, it is almost always hot or hotter here in the summer, lol

Now, ONE and ONLY one exception to "a" HOT summer was some time, 20-30 years ago, when totally, unbelievable to me, there was "A" summer, when Tyler received a consistently reoccurring, refreshing, cool, NOT cold front, every 7-10 days throughout the entire summer. AMAZING.

In July, August, we would get dryer, cooler air move in here from the Northwest, just like we receive most of our cool/cold fronts in Fall and Winter, mostly coming from the NW. In short, the fronts that "occur" push thru Tyler, until early summer, when the fronts largely stop, just NEVER stopped being able to push thru, the warm/humid Gulf breezes and replace that with cooler dryer air. No dry really hot air was able to "set up" and stay in place as it usually does during the summer, causing the really HIGH temps, because the air can be then, desert-like dry, dry as Phoenix, temps not THAT high though, LOW humidity air or the dry air can sore the temps well into the 100's

Don't EVEN be concerned about climate change, just BE concerned it you can really adjust or want to adjust to the blistering summers, lol

Best to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler