Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:32 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,311 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to pursue employement in Tyler, Texas. However, from what my Sperling's guide tells me, and from what I can garner from other posts, I'm afraid I might be ostracized. I am a liberal, agnostic, vegetarian. Are there any progressive neighborhoods in Tyler, or would I find my self very alone?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 08:47 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,685 times
As long as your're not a yankee! JUST KIDDING! If you watch certain posters...you will see that they just hate living in Tyler and therefore aren't going to say anything nice. As a Realtor....I've sold homes to all kinds of people from all walks of life. I've lived in neighborhoods in Dallas that would have ostracized a liberal, agnostic, vegetarian. The only trouble I see is that you may have a little of a tough time finding good places to eat.....

Old 12-19-2008, 07:26 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
It partially depends on you. Do you plan to run for city council, mayor, commissioner, a school board? How do you react to others. Are your receptive of their conservative southern baptist, catholic, etc, views? You know, if you are an upbeat, posivitve outgoing friendly type, joke a lot, I don't think you will have much of a problem. Welcome to Tyler.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 12-19-2008 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-19-2008, 01:16 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
It partially depends on you. Do you plan to run for city council, mayor, commissioner, a school board? How do you react to others. Are your receptive of their conservative southern baptist, catholic, etc, views? You know, if you are an upbeat, posivitve outgoing friendly type, joke a lot, I don't think you will have much of a problem. Welcome to Tyler.
Can't you tell he already wants to come in and change Tyler.

"Are there any progressive neighborhoods in Tyler" Code words for I'm ultra liberal.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:01 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
"Are there any progressive neighborhoods in Tyler" Code words for I'm ultra liberal.

Yes, how could I have missed that "code"

Old 12-19-2008, 03:12 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
The only trouble I see is that you may have a little of a tough time finding good places to eat.....
Destin, I'm shocked! I've never had a problem finding a good place to eat in Tyler, just deciding where to go. And that's a good thing.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:19 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,685 times
Default places to eat.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Destin, I'm shocked! I've never had a problem finding a good place to eat in Tyler, just deciding where to go. And that's a good thing.
There are some great places to eat...I just mean't if you are a vegetarian.....

I have had trouble finding good Asian food. I reserve that for when I come to the metroplex...but I sure do miss it.

Last edited by destin04; 12-19-2008 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: changed wording

Old 12-19-2008, 03:27 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
This is a great answer, MarkT! Rep point to you!

I am not from Tyler -- nor ever lived there -- but in our trips out to the Caddo Lake area, we often visit and occasionally stay overnight in the city. It is especially beautiful during the rose and azalea trail season and deserves it moniker as the Yellow Rose of Texas...the Old South culture and history with that special Lone Star flair to it (like many true East Texas cities/towns).

Anyway, you are right on the mark when you say it largely depends on the person themselves as to whether or not they will be accepted or shunned when relocating into a community/state/region where the majority of natives do not embrace their own lifestyle/belief system. That is, if they truly want to fit in and make friends with their neighbors, then they must first of all recognize the simple rule of thumb (at least as it applies to Texas! LOL) that while one doesn't necessarily have to "do as the Romans do"....?

...Don't try to tell the Romans how to do it, or try and change how they do it. If those "rules" are generally adhered to, then a transplant of whatever stripe will find no more accepting place than Texas.

*afterthought* Of course, they should also remember not to take the label "yankee" personal!

Old 12-19-2008, 03:31 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
There are some great places to eat...I just mean't if you are a vegetarian.....
Whoops! Missed that one. Sorry.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:43 PM

216 posts, read 934,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
... It is especially beautiful during the rose and azalea trail season and deserves it moniker as the Yellow Rose of Texas ...
Never heard that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: