Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:19 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,495 times

Advertisements

There is a thriving singles community in Tyler....University Texas @ Tyler supplies a lot of it. Someone told me several of the churches have large single groups...I'm married so I wouldn't know. I do have several friends who teach at Tyler Junior College and they are single.....
As far as what end of town....I would say south....in the Broadway area? I have a good friend who does property management for over 60 properties in the historic district and most of them are singles...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 01:56 PM

163 posts, read 297,582 times
Thanks Destin. Btw, did you ever live in Destin, FL? Everytime I see your screen name I think of that little piece of heaven.

You mentioned lots of singles in historical area. What's the price range for homes in that area? Also, can you tell me anything about the area west of Tyler ? --- would like to live in a nice area but probably want better access to I-20 than living south of Tyler.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Carpe

Old 02-07-2009, 02:03 PM

Default Destin....

Carpe,
Yes I think you could say we lived in Destin...we owned a condo there and would spend the summers, springbreak and Thanksgiving week. Sold it in 2007 just before the major real estate crash.....thank goodness...those were some good times!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:51 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Destin was correct about church singles groups. You don't have to be "pious" are perfect or pretend to have it all together to attend the Green Acres Baptist Singles - many, many are from other denominations than Baptist. One of the things I like. Age groups from College to very "retired" - on any given Sunday 300-500 in Sunday School (Bible Study) either at 9:45 or 11:15 most at 9:45. The classes are "loosely" by age group, attend where you are comfortable, try several. Teach sin is sin but also grace is for all - no condemnation. Many "recovery" groups if you want. So, a hand is held out to all. A really "spirit filled" upbeat positive Worship Service that changes often like a non-denominational church service- full orchestra. large choir again 4000-5000 attend Worship but in three services.

Now, not much of anything West of Tyler, but remember the newest professional development is just 4 miles West of downtown, IN Tyler. The Cascades, still the vast majority of people in Tyler will not even heard of it. Has 40 separate 2 story townhomes, most with garages. Rents start about 675. Spa, PGA gold course where the Texas State Open is held each year. A master planned development like you would see in Houston, DFW, etc not in a city our size. A hundred year old lake with million dollar new homes plus 3 four story Condo Towers on the water plus 14 condo prices up to 850,000 to 1,300,000 for top two floors. Google - The Cascades of Texas lots of information.

Anything else, I'll give it a shot. Mark

Old 02-11-2009, 03:41 PM

Thanks for all the info Destin and Mark. I was interested if either of you have lived in other places in TX? I lived in DFW area for a couple of years about 18 years ago and like being close to a major city, so am I going to be "bored out of my gourd" as we say where I'm from, living in Tyler area?

Also, grew up with tornados all the time and am respectful but not frightened by them ( well, at least not frightened by tornado warnings near me), and I realize, contrary to what some meteorologists believe , that tornados do follow a general geographic pattern of where they tend to hit when you look at long range period like 30 years or so.

So my question is, in the Tyler area, are there specific areas that for some reason or another seem to be hit more often with super cells/tornados?

Thanks.
Carpe

Old 02-11-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpe777 View Post
Thanks for all the info Destin and Mark. I was interested if either of you have lived in other places in TX? I lived in DFW area for a couple of years about 18 years ago and like being close to a major city, so am I going to be "bored out of my gourd" as we say where I'm from, living in Tyler area?

Also, grew up with tornados all the time and am respectful but not frightened by them ( well, at least not frightened by tornado warnings near me), and I realize, contrary to what some meteorologists believe , that tornados do follow a general geographic pattern of where they tend to hit when you look at long range period like 30 years or so.

So my question is, in the Tyler area, are there specific areas that for some reason or another seem to be hit more often with super cells/tornados?

Thanks.
Carpe
We moved here from the DFW area about 18 months ago. That's why we chose Lindale because of the closeness to DFW. Since we live in Hideway Lake right on I20 it only takes us 1 hr 5 min to get to Mesquite. A lot of our friends go into Dallas just for dinner and come home. I prefer to go into Dallas to go to Wholefoods Market and then come home!!! LOL! As far as tornado's go....sometimes when they come out of Dallas the weathermen think they will build as they move east...but like last night they kind of fizzled out before they got here. We've had more problems with hail since moving here than tornado's. As far as your questions about where else I've lived...I was born in Ft. Worth...moved to Dallas...moved to Ft. Worth...moved to Richardson..moved to Nacogdoches.....moved to Houston...moved to Dallas..moved to Frisco....moved to Pensacola, FL...moved to Frisco...moved to Hideaway (Lindale)...worked in travel for 18 years and saw almost the entire world! Anything else? I love answering your questions....did you get the direct message I sent you?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
I grew up in Tyler. As for tornado's, one hit on my birthday on April 26, 1957, I was 11 years old. From that day forward I have been a weather "nut". Maybe should have been a meteorologist, not much demad then. Major damage to Tyler. Hit about 8:10 AM on a weekday. 300-400 homes damaged or destroyed. But no deaths or major injuries. Some say a "miracle". Most newer homes were hit where young families had already left for school or work. Back then Tyler was a strict 8-5 town. Anyway, no major storm since then.

I left Tyler to college, then 25 years in the Houston area. "played" very very hard, slowed down - got "canned" in the oil bust and gladly moved back to Tyler about 20 years ago.

Yes, not much of a "club" scene in Tyler. Go to Dallas. But you should not be that bored here, if clubbin' is really not your thing. You actually can do that here at a couple of dance "bars". But a couple of plays a month come here or the Symphony which I compare fairly well with the Houston Symphony and plays that the U.T Cowen Center have as part of their season package. Many performances that you would see in DFW area. Or just hit the road a couple times a month to Big "D" for that big city "fix". As Destin said, just ask and we will try to help. Promise not to sell you anything

Old 02-13-2009, 02:50 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times
Oops you got me, I guess I was thinking about the times driving thru Tyler excuse my rudiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpe777 View Post
I'm guessing that was a slight slight at Tyler by Txstate.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Oops you got me, I guess I was thinking about the times driving thru Tyler excuse my rudiness.

No worries. Actually, I thought it was a good line!

Carpe

Old 06-21-2009, 12:09 AM

20 posts, read 54,496 times
Just read this thread and appreciated the information very much! I recently posted my own thread requesting information for the area. Although my needs are a bit more family oriented (married mom) I am interested in the comments about the condos in the Cascades. Before Shreveport (which, Carpe, I would definitely avoid for reasons to numerous to count) we lived in a nice loft in downtown Dallas and I miss that "urban" feel. Tell me more about the Historic District? What is the surrounding area like...does it fade into, dare I say, the ghetto? Your information is appreciated! Look for my recent post for more specifics (sorry to jack your thread, Carpe)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler