Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
That is very true.

Political correctness is bull**** and only getting worst.
Yeah really tell me about it.

Take for example, several years ago (2005?) city leaders were lobbying to change the name of Fort Worth suburb White Settlement to West Settlement. When they finally voted on the name change the citizens spoke out & overwhelmingly rejected it. Props to them for not giving into that political correctness BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 03:33 AM

34 posts, read 138,868 times
Cool secondary comment about earlier blog

also in response to my last blog. I meant to mention on average in these times people have gotten more stressed and high strung and less hibited my morals and values and young people have not been taught respect of elders and authority and to value things in life and about life. I am sure the incident in Tyler was just that an isolated incident and not an average daily occurance that goes on; like when I lived in Little Rock and heard gun shots daily off of Asher Ave. or downtown or when I visted Jackson MS and can feel the negative judgmentalness off of just about every person there. Tyler sounds progressive with modern problems and modern people but it does not sound to be an urban sewer like Los Angeles or Chicago or Philadelphia. Maybe times are we just hear more of the bad stuff that occurs everywhere, unlike some of these little west Texas towns out here where people stop you in a store checkout line and speak a conversation with you and reach out and make physical contact with you or sit down to a cafe table with a total stranger just for company and seldom seem to lock car doors and sometimes house doors. I guess I've just been graced to be lost in time out here in "Mayberry goes west" and have blocked out my years in urban settings where bad things do happen and frequently.

Thanks Houston3 for the guestion that probed me to think and reflect.
I am new to these forums and blogging; I am learning new things.!

Old 09-25-2009, 04:43 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Swamp Nurse, I still thank your assessment of Tyler is correct, the good far outweigh the not so good, but yes, there are racial problems at JT mainly between blacks and the growing Hispanic population, over who has control.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:22 PM

430 posts, read 1,339,691 times
My sister-in-law is a teacher at a middle school in Tyler. My thoughts go out to the victim and his family. What an unfortunate event.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:35 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Any links to your said paper?

Here we are mourning the loss of an innocent man trying to do the right thing by helping SPED students & his teaching credentials are brought up as a factor in this cold blooded murder by a kid with a troubled upbringing?

LUDICROUS!!!

John Tyler has had a history of violence & racial tension for some time now. Nothing new there. I can remember back in my high school days between 94-98 at Robert E. Lee (Tyler's other high school) gang violence was a big issue over at JT & to some extent at REL.

This all boils down to parents (mostly minorities) failing to raise their children right...simple as that. You know if this was a white kid murdering a black teacher we'd have the NAACP causing a stink here in Tyler right away.
You know, it's comments like these that only help perpetuate the stereotype that East Texas is backwards, redneck territory.

That statement was not only uncalled for, but extremely disrespectful. Bad parents and bad kids come in all colors. Not just minorities.

You say that race relations are still somewhat an issue in the Tyler area. Well with people like you up there hmm I wonder why.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
You know, it's comments like these that only help perpetuate the stereotype that East Texas is backwards, redneck territory.

That statement was not only uncalled for, but extremely disrespectful. Bad parents and bad kids come in all colors. Not just minorities.

You say that race relations are still somewhat an issue in the Tyler area. Well with people like you up there hmm I wonder why.
Yeah I was reading that and I really found that little rant unneeded. It's funny how when crimes like these are committed; someone on CD feels the need to always bring up the "If they were black....blahblah!".

The man was killed and its a tragedy for everyone; I don't see why race needs to be brought up in this conversation. The last thing I'm thinking about when I hear of all those school shootings committed by whites is how white parents do such a bad job raising their kids. It's uncalled for and simply just shows how divided and ignorant we are as a nation.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
very sad responses, "are you sure the teacher did not provoke it" "was he not poorly trained"
what provokes an armed minor to stab to death an unarmed teacher???.
in 60 years what change i have seen. i appear to be living in a foreign country but i was born here.
we now rebuke the victim sympathize with the perpetrator and often jail the arresting officer.
if K12 is like this for an adult male what is it like for a child?

Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post

HAWTALTA

You're only about 2 months behind on this "late breaking news", Hoss.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 11-13-2009 at 12:05 AM..

Old 11-13-2009, 09:06 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
HAWTALTA

You're only about 2 months behind on this "late breaking news", Hoss.
Actually, I heard about this when it happened, but it wasn't until yesterday that I came across this thread.

You're not making Tyler look good, MM. Not at all...but thanks for letting us all see the real you

Old 11-28-2009, 11:24 PM

10 posts, read 23,834 times
Quote:
How is it ignorant when its happened before at those schools & when I was attending one?

Do you even know the history of REL HS or what General Robert E. Lee stood for? Blacks are the ones responsible for forcing that school to change their mascot from the Rebel to the current Red Raider back in the 70's much like the University of Mississippi did with their Rebel mascot back in 2003.
Since you seem to be Mr. Tyler of schools I was wondering about these MINORITYS you are talking about. I do agree it is the parents,but not the leser minority. I am half mex and half white so I always see both sides. anyways my point is since you are soooo open. Out of curiousity when you speak of gangs, are there many hispanic gangs in the schools? when i visited tyler I found not too many hispanics. I loved Tyler, but I cannot live in a mostly white ruled area. I need ethnicity culture areas. also good mexican restaurants, and no not On the Borders.....Although I loved Tyler I didn't like the no liquor thing, and there was soooo many churches it was kinda creepy. Any feedback would be great, like i said I did love Tyler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler