Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:03 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
You know, it's comments like these that only help perpetuate the stereotype that East Texas is backwards, redneck territory.

That statement was not only uncalled for, but extremely disrespectful. Bad parents and bad kids come in all colors. Not just minorities.

You say that race relations are still somewhat an issue in the Tyler area. Well with people like you up there hmm I wonder why.
I know right? A really dumb comment by Metro Matt. Made me lose respect for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:08 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Any links to your said paper?

Here we are mourning the loss of an innocent man trying to do the right thing by helping SPED students & his teaching credentials are brought up as a factor in this cold blooded murder by a kid with a troubled upbringing?

LUDICROUS!!!

John Tyler has had a history of violence & racial tension for some time now. Nothing new there. I can remember back in my high school days between 94-98 at Robert E. Lee (Tyler's other high school) gang violence was a big issue over at JT & to some extent at REL.

This all boils down to parents (mostly minorities) failing to raise their children right...simple as that. You know if this was a white kid murdering a black teacher we'd have the NAACP causing a stink here in Tyler right away.
From the man who says Tyler is progessive.

Tyler is anything but progressive.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:33 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,587 times
Tyler is the armpit of Texas. Always has been, always will

Old 12-16-2009, 12:49 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj101 View Post
Since you seem to be Mr. Tyler of schools I was wondering about these MINORITYS you are talking about. I do agree it is the parents,but not the leser minority. I am half mex and half white so I always see both sides. anyways my point is since you are soooo open. Out of curiousity when you speak of gangs, are there many hispanic gangs in the schools? when i visited tyler I found not too many hispanics. I loved Tyler, but I cannot live in a mostly white ruled area. I need ethnicity culture areas. also good mexican restaurants, and no not On the Borders.....Although I loved Tyler I didn't like the no liquor thing, and there was soooo many churches it was kinda creepy. Any feedback would be great, like i said I did love Tyler.
You should really do a little bit more digging on Tyler then. Its not all White like everyone on this forum makes it out to be. The only predominately "White area" of Tyler is in South Tyler, the rest is heavily Black or Hispanic, especially on the Eastern side of town where there are many authentic Mexican restaurants & markets popping up all over the place. Heck, we even have an Asian Market here now finally.

Back in 2000 the population of Tyler was 83,650...today its around 110,000 with a metro population of 250,000.

Here was the racial makeup of Tyler 10 years ago:

White - 61.72% (now probably between 55-60%)

Black - 26.83%

Native American - 0.34%

Asian - 0.96% (now probably closer to 1.5% with the majority being of Filipino, Chinese, or Korean descent)

Pacific Islander - 0.04%

Other Races - 8.46%

Two or more races - 1.65%

Hispanic - 15.82% (now probably somewhere between 20-25%)

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-16-2009 at 02:02 AM..

Old 12-16-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
From the man who says Tyler is progessive.

Tyler is anything but progressive.

Tyler is THE hub for medical care & research in East Texas with 3 major hospitals; Mother Frances, East Texas Medical Center, & UT Health & Science Center. All three are growing like crazy. Mother Frances & ETMC together employ over 7,000 people.

We have a four year college; UT Tyler, one of the oldest junior colleges in the country; TJC, & an all Black college.

Tyler has decent public transportation for a city its size with the Tyler Transit buses running daily, which by the way just added several new stops all over the city & remodeled the older ones. Tyler Pound Regional Airport offers daily flights to & from Dallas via American Eagle & Houston via Continental. There is a Greyhound bus station downtown, as well as a taxi service. We also have a privately operated daily shuttle service that goes back & forth from Tyler to D/FW Airport & Love Field & takes you directly to your terminal without having to hop on one of theirs.

As far as roads go, we're building a much needed outer loop tollway that is already over 13 miles long & is all electronic (no toll booths) making it a 2nd loop around Tyler when its finally completed & restructuring other main arteries around town to further ease congestion with horrendous traffic now that makes you feel like you're in suburban Dallas.

Downtown has also seen a rebirth with new loft apartments built & other once vacant buildings converted into lofts. The Tyler 21 Plan implemented a few years back has done wonders for the city's center. Downtown during the day is a very bustling place & the nightlife has gotten a lot better in recent years. You can hear different live bands playing Blues & Jazz music any given weekend down on the square. The old run down Liberty Theatre will breathe new life once the East Texas Symphony Orchestra moves in.

So yeah...we're not very progressive here at all.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-16-2009 at 02:06 AM..

Old 12-16-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Tyler is the armpit of Texas. Always has been, always will
I thought that one went to Beaumont & all of Southeast Texas?

Tyler is located in one of, if not the most beautiful areas in the state with its Pine/hardwood forests, rolling terrain, numerous lakes, rose & azalea festivals, etc.

You've obviously never been to Tyler & solely rely on hear say.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-16-2009 at 02:09 AM..

Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,587 times
Tyler people are the most delusional people in the state. Former resident for 15 years. Couldnt be happier I left the pit

Old 12-16-2009, 12:16 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Tyler is THE hub for medical care & research in East Texas with 3 major hospitals; Mother Frances, East Texas Medical Center, & UT Health & Science Center. All three are growing like crazy. Mother Frances & ETMC together employ over 7,000 people.

We have a four year college; UT Tyler, one of the oldest junior colleges in the country; TJC, & an all Black college.

Tyler has decent public transportation for a city its size with the Tyler Transit buses running daily, which by the way just added several new stops all over the city & remodeled the older ones. Tyler Pound Regional Airport offers daily flights to & from Dallas via American Eagle & Houston via Continental. There is a Greyhound bus station downtown, as well as a taxi service. We also have a privately operated daily shuttle service that goes back & forth from Tyler to D/FW Airport & Love Field & takes you directly to your terminal without having to hop on one of theirs.

As far as roads go, we're building a much needed outer loop tollway that is already over 13 miles long & is all electronic (no toll booths) making it a 2nd loop around Tyler when its finally completed & restructuring other main arteries around town to further ease congestion with horrendous traffic now that makes you feel like you're in suburban Dallas.

Downtown has also seen a rebirth with new loft apartments built & other once vacant buildings converted into lofts. The Tyler 21 Plan implemented a few years back has done wonders for the city's center. Downtown during the day is a very bustling place & the nightlife has gotten a lot better in recent years. You can hear different live bands playing Blues & Jazz music any given weekend down on the square. The old run down Liberty Theatre will breathe new life once the East Texas Symphony Orchestra moves in.

So yeah...we're not very progressive here at all.

Tyler is still dry and for someone who complains that there are too many holy rollers in Dallas, in Tyler its much more so. East Texas is one of the most conservative areas of the country. Even more to than other parts of Texas like Central Texas or South Texas.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Tyler is still dry and for someone who complains that there are too many holy rollers in Dallas, in Tyler its much more so. East Texas is one of the most conservative areas of the country. Even more to than other parts of Texas like Central Texas or South Texas.
Tyler dry? I can drive or even walk less than 2 miles to buy & taste test all different kinds of Texas wines just right across the street from our main mall off of Boradway/US 69.

Wine is perfectly legal to sell anywhere in the Tyler City Limits now as long as it was bottled in Texas. That law passed several years back & a new law just passed back in November allowing the City of Winona in Northern Smith County the right to sell alcohol. So no, Tyler is technically not a "dry" town anymore. Even before all those laws passed, Tyler was considered statewide as the "wettest/dry town" in all of Texas because it was sold in every restaurant & was easily obtained just by driving 15-20 miles crossing Lake Palestine into Coffee City or by driving to Kilgore, Tx in Greg County which has always been wet.

True, Tyler is still a moderately Conservative town that is known for its family first values (which isn't a bad thing). There is still a lot of old oil money left in this town, that generation though is slowly dying off & people are moving here from all over the country. My mom's best friend moved here from LA just a few years ago & couldn't be any happier to leave California. Her husband is half Japanese/Hawaiian & his wife (my mom's best friend) is Italian. They own & rent out their houses all over California & have a 10 year old son that is my little bro's best friend. My little brother's other school friend is from Pakistan.

Tyler has a Korean Baptist Church & also a Hindu Temple. We have a sizable Filipino community (always have since I was in elementary school) due to the large & booming medical facilities that are here & even a small Asian Market now that does a good business. Asians here no longer have to drive to Garland, Arlington, or Houston for their groceries. The owner, which is a young Thai lady, her husband is an old White man, she makes weekly runs down to Houston to stock up on everything one would need & if they don't carry it in stock, they can get it.

Oh & did I mention the new head of the Tyler & East Texas BBB is a BEAUTIFUL young Filipina woman in her mid-late 30's who got her 4 year degree in Business/Human Relations from Baylor University & her graduate degree from UT Tyler.

You have a lot to learn before you go bashing a city & state you know little of, LAnative. You should have left that attitude in California when you first moved here, we don't put up with non-native Texans here trying to tell us how it is, or how to run things & you're coming across as "one of those".

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-16-2009 at 07:28 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 08:38 PM

Just for LAnative's sake, I will post the "progressive, liberal minded" City of Denton's population makeup, a city very close in size to "ultra conservative" Tyler.

As of the 2000 census, there were 80,537 residents, known as "Dentonites", 30,895 households, and 16,405 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,309.7 people per square mile (505.7/km²). There were 32,716 housing units at an average density of 532.0/sq mi (205.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 75.62% White, 9.12% African American, 3.39% Asian, 0.58% Native American, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 8.85% from other races, and 2.40% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race comprised 16.38% of the population.

As you can clearly see, the White population of Denton in 2000 was at 75.62% vs. 61.72% in Tyler. Tyler has a significantly larger Black population at 27% vs. Denton at a measly 9%. Denton has over twice the Asian population of Tyler, yet the Hispanic & rest of the population is exactly the same.

Denton is a White Bread town compared to Tyler & its a lot closer to Dallas too which is whats so surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler