Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:18 PM

86 posts, read 199,064 times

Advertisements

Mr. Henry, a special needs teacher, was stabbed in the neck today at John Tyler High School in Tyler, Texas. The news report says it was a random attack. This has always been a pretty rough school but this is the first death I've heard of.

Teacher dies in stabbing at John Tyler HS - KLTV 7 News Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,760,093 times
I'm sorry to hear this :-(

Old 09-24-2009, 01:44 AM

34 posts, read 138,852 times
I am also saddend to hear this. I know anything can happen anywhere and anytime. I am still looking at Tyler as a potential new home soon. A number of years back in my home state of Arkansas there was a situation where two 12 year old males drove a van to school that was loaded with rifles and handguns and they shot a teachers and students and 8 were killed. That year there were 14 weapons related charges in Arkansas schools from elementry to high school. In one case in Little Rock a 14 year old attacked a police dog and injured it even.

I am sure this is just a situation and not a reflection on the people of Tyler but more a signs of the times we are in.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
the article in my paper pretty much leads you to see this man was an alt-cert probably or an emergency certification--he worked as a prison guard for most of his career and last year was the band teacher at the same Tyler school---that is not how certified teachers work their subject matters
not to say there was any provocation from the teacher or that a certified special ed teacher would not have been in same situation...
but I know several special ed people in school where I taught that were alt-certs...so I think it is certainly possible this man did not have background in special needs students...

Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 AM

714 posts, read 2,932,154 times
I was saddened at this terrible event. The teacher was married for less that a year. My prayers goes to his family and friends, and the school.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the article in my paper pretty much leads you to see this man was an alt-cert probably or an emergency certification--he worked as a prison guard for most of his career and last year was the band teacher at the same Tyler school---that is not how certified teachers work their subject matters
not to say there was any provocation from the teacher or that a certified special ed teacher would not have been in same situation...
but I know several special ed people in school where I taught that were alt-certs...so I think it is certainly possible this man did not have background in special needs students...
interesting theory..

Nita

Old 09-24-2009, 01:21 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,250 times
It sheds some light on some peoples' attitudes that many years experience as a prison guard makes someone a good candidate for alt. certification.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:40 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp nurse View Post
I am also saddend to hear this. I know anything can happen anywhere and anytime. I am still looking at Tyler as a potential new home soon. A number of years back in my home state of Arkansas there was a situation where two 12 year old males drove a van to school that was loaded with rifles and handguns and they shot a teachers and students and 8 were killed. That year there were 14 weapons related charges in Arkansas schools from elementry to high school. In one case in Little Rock a 14 year old attacked a police dog and injured it even.

I am sure this is just a situation and not a reflection on the people of Tyler but more a signs of the times we are in.
How does one separate the two?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
i regret very much. when its a killing it makes the news but lots of K12 assaults on teachers inc sexual never are reported much less on CNN.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:59 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Any links to your said paper?

Here we are mourning the loss of an innocent man trying to do the right thing by helping SPED students & his teaching credentials are brought up as a factor in this cold blooded murder by a kid with a troubled upbringing?

LUDICROUS!!!

John Tyler has had a history of violence & racial tension for some time now. Nothing new there. I can remember back in my high school days between 94-98 at Robert E. Lee (Tyler's other high school) gang violence was a big issue over at JT & to some extent at REL.

This all boils down to parents (mostly minorities) failing to raise their children right...simple as that. You know if this was a white kid murdering a black teacher we'd have the NAACP causing a stink here in Tyler right away.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-24-2009 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler