Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,555 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transfered to the tyler area from houston and I am not at all familar with the area. I have a middle schooler and a high schooler so the schools are very important to me. We are looking to rent a house in a nice,newer neighborhood. Where should I be looking and what should I stay from. Any help would be greatly appericiated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,057,932 times
Welcome, I made the move from Houston 20 years ago. Maybe Tyler schools are not you best choice. 4 or 5 Schools are ok, I guess. Many doctors and professionals still send their children to Tyler Schools. Hubbard and Moore Junior Highs or Robert E. Lee High School for you age children. Tyler has 4 private schools thru grade 12, so many send them there or home school. Many people move to the "suburbs" of Whitehouse, Lindale, and Bullard for better, best schools, all three very close to Tyler especially Bullard and Whitehouse almost in the city limits of Tyler, in fact Whitehouse is.

Was a real estate broker, now retired, easier rentals would be in Whitehouse, if your not staying in the Robert E Lee district where both Moore and Hubbard Jr Highs are located.

I hate to tell you what to stay away from, I prefer to stick with what are positive areas for schools. - but Chapel Hill schools also in Tyler is not a good choice even though a large exculsive subdivision, The Woods, is in Chapel Hil ISD.

I should work for the Chamber of Commerce or at least an Information source on Tyler. Because as you can tell, I'm very much sold on it, of course it has it's faults and drawbacks too.

If you want to know anything else about Tyler, I would be glad to help or look up information if you need it. Many people have moved to Tyler from larger cities over the last 20 or more years. Retirees seem to love it. Tyler has the lowest city property tax rate in Texas of any city over 15,000 population and a city is debt free. Of course for them being the Medical Center of East Texas helps, Tyler serves an area of 400,000 - 500,000 pop. for medical care. Anyway much more info if you like.

Good luck !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler