Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 9,373 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Native Texan here...born and raised...then left for the beyond after university and want to come closer to roost after a few decades.

I am researching a few different places in America to live after a sojourn of a decade abroad in Europe. I have travelled widely all over the world and am leaning toward East Texas simply because it is between Houston and Dallas where some of my relatives live. I am especially interested in the Palestine and Tyler area. I went to Tyler as a young child and remember it with fondness, but I have never been to Palestine...so I am asking for information on both communities. I am especially interested in arts, cafes, bookshops, education, culture and if it has a diverse enough community of interesting people who enjoy the above. I am drawn to TREES as I grew up in a scrub-brush part of Texas...I love GREEN!

I have lived in Houston and Austin and found both of them to be lively...but that was a long time ago. I liked Austin for its "alternative"
lifestyle...but it seems to be such a large, honking city now. By "alternative" I am talking about vegetarian restaurants, cafes, great bookshops and people who are a bit (I'm not asking for Berkeley here) open-minded. I am poltically a moderate actually, but enjoy meeting and talking to people who have open views on spirituality, life and are into the arts. Is there access to produce markets, fresh produce? Organic stuff? Antique shops?

My hobbies are antiquing and decorating and I am a bibliophile (I love books) and am into altered art (so a craft store/stamp shop would be ideal.) I also have been a vegetarian for most of my life (much to the chagrin of my excellent bar-b-q every Sunday Texas Dad!) I grew up in a small Texas town, so I understand the make-up of small Texas towns, I just was hoping that perhaps Tyler and/or Palestine might (might?) have a bit more of a cosmopolitan flair as they have grown over the years. I would also like to teach at the college level (I have a Master's degree).

How far a commute is it from Palestine to Tyler, by the way? Does Palestine have any higher education facilities?

Basically, I suppose this is the question...can a Texas born person with Austin sensibilities who has lived and travelled all over the world come to live in Tyler or Palestine and be inspired?

If you have moved to this area from outside...and enjoy some of the things I mentioned...how have you found it?

Thank you for your time...

P.S. In all my travels, I have never (ever) found anyone as friendly as the people of my home state...hands-down! Texas rules!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 06:47 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,091,382 times
Well, most people would think I would respond. I doubt you get many TRULY outsiders that actually know very much or a whole lot about Tyler. May have some limited insight, not that are not plenty who have that BROAD experience, just not reading this forum to respond to you. Here goes, I'm slightly an outsider - Lived outside of Tyler for 30 years, 25 years in Houston, like it, traveled much of the state and spent some time in Austin, was born here, been back 18 years. My first response to you I like it here alot. I really don't think it will/would be enough for you, just not enough of what I see you needing, yes, a little of all of it. Now, will share my not so humble opinion. Palestine is nice but the only thing I know about it, it is 45 minutes from "the loop" in Tyler lol, no really. It has a new branch of the University of Texas at Tyler, some few historic homes, pretty enough for you, maybe.

Tyler:
The Canary for whole food type, fairly large, some at Broohshires, a few more
I'm sure teaching positions at TJC and UTT both schools total 17,000 students Also the University of Texas Health Center at Tyler, becoming a teaching facility as well as speciality care facility.
East Texas Symphony - compares well with, of course not as professional as the Houston Symphony
UTT Cowen Performing Arts Center,just had Isak Pearlman here, just fantastic. Many performers, productions that come thru DFW stop here also.
There's a small nice Art Museum on the TJC campus, large really nice new building to be built using the natural setting of creeks, hills, and trees to start this year.
A new Performing Arts Center to start this year downtown, to renovate one of the old historic movie theaters.
Just a few cafes of the type you might enjoy, Kiepersol Estates Winery, lite meals, or upscale, music etc; The Hidden Gate, The Honey Tree, not much nite life, just Barnes and Noble, Hastings Bookstores, we do have several non chain specialty restaurants, Chez Bazan, French; Mercado's, Mexican, Clear Springs, Seafood, Currents, Mediterranean & Continental; Dan Juan, Mexican; Half Moon Grill and Saloon, several of these types; lots of Delis, Jersey Mikes Subs; Joe's, Marios,Little Italy, Italian; The Mansion on The Hill, steaks; Dakotas, steaks; others Asian of 4 or 5 nationalities.
3 fresh produce markets, are drive out a "ways" and pick or pick-up your own.

Tyler is very conservative, but you can survive quite well here, lol, a Mosque here, so live let live, even a few gays, venture "out" lol.

For Texas, hard to find greener, with as much other green flowery "stuff" largest "muncipal' rose garden in the country, spring azalea/dogwood/flower trails. pines, oaks and others,
Many upscale communities 14 story condo the Stretford in the Cascades, many really fine apartments for younger professionals there also, some with golf course views, spas, saunas, large varied home selections, Tyler's got it "bad" stuff, won't go into here, crime rate is NOT one of them, of course their are many, many not so "well healed" people like myself. But still to end this, I just don't see it being for you, just not enough of all you need. But, heck, come visit, it would be better if you wait until the blistering heat to end. like in December lol , nah, not nearly as bad as West Texas or DFW, imo, trees to hide under to escape the heat not as much dust, concrete, et. Good luck

Old 06-08-2009, 07:13 PM

595 posts, read 2,724,263 times
I waited until I saw Mark-Tyler is special to reply because that mean't that I wouldn't have to write as much. I've lived in Tyler (northern suburb) for almost two years. I think there is a lot of things to do in Tyler and when our friends visit...they just fall in love with it. I on the other hand have had trouble adjusting to the lack of choices when it comes to shoppng and places to eat. The good news is that I live on I-20 and can be in Dallas in 75 minutes. I go to the metroplex at least once a week for Costco and Wholefoods Market. I do love the country side....it is beautiful!
I took your question about beng "green" to mean are we recycling and such.....that would be a big no! We came from a neighborhood where it was easier to re-cycle than to throw trash away....everytime I throw away a milk jug...I get sad.
I would say that most of the people that we hang with are from larger cities around the US. I sell homes monthly to people who are relocating here from all over the US.
Come and enjoy!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:17 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,091,382 times
destin lol I was waiting for someone else to respond, lol I even get tired of "hearing" me, but I guess that a few of the people who post here for the first time, just might be interested in some of the stuff I share. I do agree with your response, I don't think of "green" too much that way, but I act "green" alot here by picking up all the trash many people in Tyler drop, just everywhere, even seen two "used" diapers. Tyler didn't used to be so trashy, I guess that comes with the growth -

Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,241,570 times
And regarding the Palestine part of your question......Tyler and Palestine are two very different places in spite of their proximity. Palestine is still rural 1950 Texas (not a criticism....I love it!) whereas Tyler has come into this century with a bang in the past few years.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:07 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,512,910 times
You might get more for your money south of Tyler. Alto, Gallatin, Palestine and Rusk and be within a 30 minute drive of Tyler. Rural Veggieville down there. It's certainly not the hub of culture, but neither is Tyler. You can travel 2 1/2 hours south or 2 hours NW and get that in Dallas and Houston. I like Tyler, but it reminds me of exurbs of Houston like The Woodlands or Sugarland. I prefer the real East Texas found in the smaller towns.

Frankly I'm surprised of the lack of local artists in NE Texas. Maybe it will change, one can only hope.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 06-16-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 01:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,359 times
As a new resident of East Texas (near Athens) after living for many years in Madison, WI. I found your posting while doing some research on Palestine. Your inquiries about good restaurants, cafes, bookstores, antique shops, and "culture" in general were similar to my own concerns. I was familiar with this area (family) from many visits over the years, and had no "expectations" for more than a rural / socially conservative outlook in general, with the ARTS and more diversity to be found in Dallas, Austin, Houston, etc. This part of Texas, and "points" East and South of here are very pretty and scenic. Palestine has a pretty remarkable heritage of historic architecture (more than 1800 sites, 2nd most in the state after Galveston), which is an interest of mine. Population statistics show some racial diversity, and it looked like there were a few interesting shops, etc. in "Old Town" Palestine. Mark has covered what Tyler has to offer.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 PM

206 posts, read 503,898 times
San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Eugene, most any where in So. Ca, the Midwest, eastern seaboard, any of those areas will have everything your looking for and more. WTH East Texas if thats the junk you gotta have man?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,015,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda Afternoon View Post
I grew up in a small Texas town, so I understand the make-up of small Texas towns, I just was hoping that perhaps Tyler and/or Palestine might (might?) have a bit more of a cosmopolitan flair as they have grown over the years. I would also like to teach at the college level (I have a Master's degree).
Tyler is still growing & diversifying. Its kinda in a weird stage right now...not highly diverse, yet not strictly Black, White, & Brown either. The Greater Tyler Metro Area is around 250,000. There is even a small Asian market now.

Quote:
How far a commute is it from Palestine to Tyler, by the way? Does Palestine have any higher education facilities?
Tyler to Palestine is about a 40 minute drive. HWY 155 which once was a windy 2 lane country road between Franskston & Palestine is being widened to a straight 4 lanes as we speak making the drive that much easier.

UT Tyler just the last quarter of 2009 opened a brand new satellite campus in Palestine.

Quote:
Basically, I suppose this is the question...can a Texas born person with Austin sensibilities who has lived and travelled all over the world come to live in Tyler or Palestine and be inspired?
Check out the Azalea district in Tyler. Lots of older homes people who live the "alternative lifestyle" have fixed up. Downtown Tyler is being revitalized & a Main Street Arts exhibit along with the East Texas Symphony Orchestra now call downtown home as of last year. The Cowan Center at UT Tyler hosts some of the same big acts that come through both Dallas & Houston.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-25-2010 at 12:01 AM..

Old 01-24-2010, 11:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,015,869 times
Let me also stress that Tyler is still a conservative town that promotes family first values, though it is progressive from a development standpoint. If you come here expecting a Liberal college crowd with a party every night of the week you simply won't find it here. The local bars/clubs close at midnight & only part of Smith County in Winona finally went wet after almost 75 years. Old money still lingers, though that is slowly fading away as more & more people continue to move here from out of city & state. The Rose Queen is still a big annual event only the local daddy's girl with their pockets lined ever wins, money talks in this town, along with who you know.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-25-2010 at 12:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler