Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live here?
Yes, Tyler is beautiful city full of potential! 82 38.68%
No, its a boring retirement town full of old people & no nightlife. 95 44.81%
Maybe, I would have to see more of it... 39 18.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

I lived in Tyler for twenty years, and watched it grow from a small town of 65,000 to a small city of 90,000. I still live in East Texas and though I am glad to be out of Tyler's weird traffic flow issues, I am still grateful to live so close to a town that offers such good shopping and restaurants.

Tyler is lacking in cultural activities but I think those will increase over time, as the population continues to increase.

The thing that's good about living in Northeast Texas is that we can enjoy a relatively rural setting, while still living close enough to both D/FW and Shreveport to be able to tap into those resources and the events in those larger cities.

I love it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I lived in Tyler for twenty years, and watched it grow from a small town of 65,000 to a small city of 90,000. I still live in East Texas and though I am glad to be out of Tyler's weird traffic flow issues, I am still grateful to live so close to a town that offers such good shopping and restaurants.

Tyler is lacking in cultural activities but I think those will increase over time, as the population continues to increase.

The thing that's good about living in Northeast Texas is that we can enjoy a relatively rural setting, while still living close enough to both D/FW and Shreveport to be able to tap into those resources and the events in those larger cities.

I love it here!
1 1/2 hours to Dallas & Shreveport, 3 hours to Houston.

Its great here!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:57 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Within 4 to 6.5 hours from Tyler, you can also be in Austin, San Antonio, Little Rock, Jackson, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and Memphis. I'd say that y'all have some pretty nice road trip options.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Within 4 to 6.5 hours from Tyler, you can also be in Austin, San Antonio, Little Rock, Jackson, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and Memphis. I'd say that y'all have some pretty nice road trip options.
In 3-3.5 hours you can be in hills taller & much prettier than the Hill Country & its closer to Tyler too.

Eastern/Southeastern Oklahoma is highly under rated & completely off the radar from hipsters. I love it.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:49 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,954 times
What cities don't have any nice road trip options within 6.5 hours? Alert, Canada?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
What cities don't have any nice road trip options within 6.5 hours? Alert, Canada?
To cities, Houston is rather limited. All we have is Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and New Orleans. Sure, those are great options, but just not as wide a variety as Northeast Texas has.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
To cities, Houston is rather limited. All we have is Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and New Orleans. Sure, those are great options, but just not as wide a variety as Northeast Texas has.
Houston is much closer to any part of the Texas beach, the hill country, and those cities you just mentioned except Dallas than Tyler is. (Of course I don't know why someone from Houston would want to vacation in Dallas anyway.) As for the other cities you mentioned in your previous post, Memphis is probably the only one with any tourist appeal. Who wants to go to Tulsa or Jackson for vacation?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see it as very brag-worthy to talk about what's within 6 1/2 hours of where you live. That's a hell of a drive. Limit it to three or even four hours and Tyler is within range of the beach (not the best part of the beach though), some of the Ouachita Mountains and two large non-touristy cities. Houston has Padre Island, Corpus Christi, Austin, San Antonio, and at least part of the hill country. They might be comparable but I think Houston wins.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Houston is much closer to any part of the Texas beach, the hill country, and those cities you just mentioned except Dallas than Tyler is. (Of course I don't know why someone from Houston would want to vacation in Dallas anyway.) As for the other cities you mentioned in your previous post, Memphis is probably the only one with any tourist appeal. Who wants to go to Tulsa or Jackson for vacation?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see it as very brag-worthy to talk about what's within 6 1/2 hours of where you live. That's a hell of a drive. Limit it to three or even four hours and Tyler is within range of the beach (not the best part of the beach though), some of the Ouachita Mountains and two large non-touristy cities. Houston has Padre Island, Corpus Christi, Austin, San Antonio, and at least part of the hill country. They might be comparable but I think Houston wins.
To each his own. I love getting around to different cities both big and small. I took countless road trips up and down eastern Texas and Louisiana as a kid, and 6.5 hours is nothing, to me.

Tyler is in a more ideal location, for me. Keep in mind that I was talking specifically about cities and not geographical destinations.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:55 PM

41 posts, read 100,098 times
Quote:
As for the other cities you mentioned in your previous post, Memphis is probably the only one with any tourist appeal.
New Orleans doesnt have tourist appeal?

Old 07-04-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
To each his own. I love getting around to different cities both big and small. I took countless road trips up and down eastern Texas and Louisiana as a kid, and 6.5 hours is nothing, to me.

Tyler is in a more ideal location, for me. Keep in mind that I was talking specifically about cities and not geographical destinations.
Well I guess if that floats your boat... I do like going to cities once to say I've been there and see what's there, but I can't imagine myself going to Tulsa or Jackson more than once unless passing through. Unless it's a very interesting city, I'm more into geography. I grew up in East Texas and I just don't see it being in close proximity to many interesting vacation spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel1291979 View Post
New Orleans doesnt have tourist appeal?
New Orleans was in his second post. It falls into those cities to which I said Houston was much closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler