U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 PM

138 posts, read 295,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That's all good and well but in the pics of the beautiful women above they don't look white in the American sense.
Really depends on the person. Many Puerto Ricans fought in many of the conflicts the United States has been involved in for instance, alongside Anglo-American personnel. Many Puerto Ricans play Anglo-American roles in Hollywood.

Race is very complicated, few people are truly not mixed if any. It has been found that even Negroid is obsolete (Divided into Congoid and Capoid). Most people would feel the least mixed places would be found in Sub-Saharan Africa, Northern Europe (Scandinavia, Iceland, Denmark), and Far East Asia (Korea, Japan). Still even these places have seen immigrants and intermixing in their long history.

That's why I am puzzled by racism, truly a form of bigotry resulting from lack of education. In other words racist are stupid.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-23-2010, 06:38 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,961,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ALTAWK718 View Post
Really depends on the person. Many Puerto Ricans fought in many of the conflicts the United States has been involved in for instance, alongside Anglo-American personnel. Many Puerto Ricans play Anglo-American roles in Hollywood.

Race is very complicated, few people are truly not mixed if any. It has been found that even Negroid is obsolete (Divided into Congoid and Capoid). Most people would feel the least mixed places would be found in Sub-Saharan Africa, Northern Europe (Scandinavia, Iceland, Denmark), and Far East Asia (Korea, Japan). Still even these places have seen immigrants and intermixing in their long history.

That's why I am puzzled by racism, truly a form of bigotry resulting from lack of education. In other words racist are stupid.
Truer words have never been said.....

Old 12-23-2010, 09:23 AM

69,680 posts, read 96,502,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Truer words have never been said.....
True, but this also shows that race is as much social, if not more so. Keep in mind, you have to think about how race came about and here's a great video about that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Xe1kX7Wsc

Old 12-24-2010, 01:27 PM

98 posts, read 350,270 times
You know what puerto ricans are? They are black Americans in reverse

Pr's are mostly euro with some west African with a little Taino Indian thrown in there

Black Americans are mostly west African with some European and a little native American thrown in there

Old 12-24-2010, 03:19 PM

686 posts, read 1,597,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
You know what puerto ricans are? They are black Americans in reverse

Pr's are mostly euro with some west African with a little Taino Indian thrown in there

Black Americans are mostly west African with some European and a little native American thrown in there
In many cases NA ancestry comes pretty close to equaling african ancestry in PR's.

In a study done on Puerto Rican women born on the island but living in New York by Carolina Bonilla, Mark D. Shriver and Esteban Parra in 2004, the ancestry proportions corresponding to the three parental populations were found to be 53.3±2.8% European, 29.1±2.3% West African, and 17.6±2.4% Native American based on autosomal ancestry informative markers. Although autosomal markers tests seem to draw a more broad picture than that of single, gender-based mtDNA and Y-Chromosome tests, the problem with autosomnal DNA is in the archaic cateogries used: "European", "Sub-Saharan African", "East Asian" & "Native American". "Asian" (South, North or East) & "North African" are not included. These generalised categories may not take into account the complexity of migratory patterns across the Old World.
More interesting was to see how much of the population showed any markers of each region. From the women sampled, 98% had European ancestry markers, 87% had African ancestry markers, 84% had Native American ancestry markers, 5% showed only African and European markers, 4% showed mostly Native American and European markers, 2% showed only African markers, and 2% showed mostly European markers.[17]
These findings are consistent with the historical record that the native male Taino population was virtually wiped out shortly after the arrival of the European settlers to the Island.[

Old 12-26-2010, 11:51 PM

7,412 posts, read 9,177,551 times
There is some racism in Puerto Rico, based on what I have observed and learned. My family is from PR and we visit every once in a few years. My grandpa didn't want his daughters [including my mom] to date guys who were "too dark" even though my grandpa is part black himself. But what I love about Puerto Rico is how inter-racial it is; most people seem have lots of different blood and that is a good thing in my opinion.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:27 PM

18,598 posts, read 17,910,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
There is some racism in Puerto Rico, based on what I have observed and learned. My family is from PR and we visit every once in a few years. My grandpa didn't want his daughters [including my mom] to date guys who were "too dark" even though my grandpa is part black himself. But what I love about Puerto Rico is how inter-racial it is; most people seem have lots of different blood and that is a good thing in my opinion.
My first job when I was 14 was at this bagel joint. The manager was a gay Puerto Rican who I got along with ok. Anyway one day we were talking and he said in his country I would be too dark to work in front with customers.

I replied I'm glad we're not in your country.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:45 PM

674 posts, read 1,429,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
I
disagree with much of this list,
Christina Aguilera, Jessica Alba, salma Hyack, selena gomez, Frankie Muniz and fergie don't have any black in them. where are you getting this false info from.
They don't look white either, except Frankie and Christina.

Last edited by Darbro; 01-02-2011 at 11:56 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 11:46 PM

674 posts, read 1,429,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykeroutoftown View Post
Look White? And what would that be? You do realize race in the Unites States is different than in Europe. The American racial classification system is flawed. It's White, Black, Asian, Indigenous, and Pacific Islanders. Most Americans would include Hispanics/Latinos and Arabs which can be of any race or a combination, probably even a category for Mexicans if they could.

You could not be more wrong. Benecio Del Toro was born in Puerto Rico of SPANISH AND ITALIAN DECENT. He is 100% European.

It seems many Americans often forget this. Race is a social construct. It's existence disputed among anthropologist. One thing is for sure, it's not as simple as White, Black, Asian, Indigenous, Pacific Islander. It's a lot more complex than the American definition.

False. If someone of Puerto Rican decent comes to the United States and looks "White" they will be considered White. Especially if assimilated. Puerto Rico is a mixed race society very similar to that of Brazil. In Puerto Rico however things do lean much more to the White side of the fence for most than to the Black or Indigenous. So much immigration from Europe even as recent as WW2 (Jews throughout Europe) and when Castro took power (Jews from Cuba originally from Europe).

However, look at all the Americans who are Mixed Race and still considered White or Black. From Megan Fox and Johnny Depp to Halley Barry and Barrack Obama.

You seem to forget only 2 or 3 generations ago Irish, Germans, and Italians were not considered White. Even the terms Hispanic/Latino are American terms which have only been in use for a few decades. Before that many if not most mixed race people from Latin America were simply considered White. Look at Desi Arnaz from "I Love Lucy". Mixed Raced couples were unacceptable at that time (This is in the days of "Whites Only entrances") and it was widely known he was Cuban and there he was the star of a TV show in a relationship with a European decent American women. Genetically most Puerto Ricans have most in common with Southern Europeans but most do have Black and/or Indigenous ancestors. Believe it or not, many Europeans (Yes, those in Europe) have non-White ancestors in their lineage too.

Here is a list of some more multiracial celebrities you may have always thought were just White or Black:

-Nicole Richie (White/Black)
-Carmen Diaz (White/Black/Indigenous)
-Johnny Damon [NY Yankees] (Asian/White)
-Kim Basinger (White/Indigenous)
-Cher (White/Indigenous)
-Carmen Electra (White/Indigenous)
-Shannon Elizabeth (White/Indigenous, possible/most likely Black down the lineage due to Middle Eastern [Lebanon/Syria] decent)
-Brett Favre (White/Indigenous)
-Vanessa Anne Hudgens (White/Indigenous/Black/Asian)
-Enrique Iglesias (White/Asian)
-Shakira (White/Black/Indigenous)
-Adriana Lima (White/Black/Indigenous)
-Soledad O’Brien (White/Black/Indegenous)
-Bob Marley (White/Black)
-Stacy Dash (White/Black/Indigenous)
-Faith Evans (Black/Indigenous)

That's just a few to blow everything you thought you knew about race out the water.
Mariah Carey too. She's white, black and brown.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 AM

17,747 posts, read 21,055,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
most people seem have lots of different blood and that is a good thing in my opinion.
I agree, diversity is overrated.

But seriously, what is wrong with having people of different races and cultures? I find it makes the world a rich and exciting place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.