U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM

674 posts, read 1,428,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
My first job when I was 14 was at this bagel joint. The manager was a gay Puerto Rican who I got along with ok. Anyway one day we were talking and he said in his country I would be too dark to work in front with customers.

I replied I'm glad we're not in your country.
Puerto Rico is part of the U.S.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 AM

314 posts, read 697,272 times
I agree that many Puerto Ricans are either predominantly European or African decent but the indigenous look is apparent in many also imo

Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM

686 posts, read 1,596,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
I agree that many Puerto Ricans are either predominantly European or African decent but the indigenous look is apparent in many also imo

Most predominantly Euro, very few PR's are mostly black.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:29 PM

24,661 posts, read 36,274,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Excellent post!! I've been reading about this issue in Colonial Virginia.Race really wasn't an organic concept. Many African men married white women. White and Black indentured servants ran off together.

Fascinating pics for a yearbook, some of the kids look straight up Indian, which you don't expect in VA. Others quite dark.

I used to work with this guy in NYC. He looked straight up African. The Africans would sometimes get mad at him because they thought he was lying about being American and having American parents, grandparents etc. His people came from one of the islands off SC. It appears at least with this family no white or Indian admixture. Which is rare with long settled Black Americans.

He ended up getting married to a white girl and although I could care less normally I was kind of disappointed he didn't keep his bloodline pure, LOL. He was quite the anthropological specimen.

That is so true about African Americans from coastal SC and coastal GA. The folks there are some of the most unmixed Africans in the USA. Clarence Thomas comes to mind..........

Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 AM

3,348 posts, read 3,780,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
This is exactly my case. My mom's side looks mostly Spaniard with jet black or blonde hair. Family from my dad's side are mostly black or mulatto looking.

During family gatherings on my mother's side, my brother and I stand out for being the only dark ones. We are. . ."los negritos de Monin." But, as most of us know, being called "negrito" in Puerto Rico is a term of endearment. I so love that.

I've tried explaining this to my African-American acquaintances, and it just baffles them. They cannot conceive that there's a place on this planet where the word Negro carries a positive connotation. I am extremely proud of Puerto Rico for redefining what is normally considered a negative term everywhere else, into a beautiful and positive thing.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:37 PM

22 posts, read 27,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
This is exactly my case. My mom's side looks mostly Spaniard with jet black or blonde hair. Family from my dad's side are mostly black or mulatto looking.

During family gatherings on my mother's side, my brother and I stand out for being the only dark ones. We are. . ."los negritos de Monin." But, as most of us know, being called "negrito" in Puerto Rico is a term of endearment. I so love that.

I've tried explaining this to my African-American acquaintances, and it just baffles them. They cannot conceive that there's a place on this planet where the word Negro carries a positive connotation. I am extremely proud of Puerto Rico for redefining what is normally considered a negative term everywhere else, into a beautiful and positive thing.
The word "negro" in America comes with a lot of historical baggage. I am not fond of the word either.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Most predominantly Euro, very few PR's are mostly black.

I'm sure alot of Puerto Ricans are predominantly European(specifically the elites like most Latin countries) but I don't know about most....Based on the Puerto Ricans I've seen personally and random pics alot of Puerto Ricans(even those with light skin) look mixed or like people of color more so than predominantly Europeans/whites.

http://puertorico.media.indypgh.org/...iblings540.jpg

http://blog.silive.com/transportatio...uertorico.jpeg

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/N...ehXE0XRgVl.jpg

http://rodonline.typepad.com/rodonli...nrparade10.jpg

http://www.fahnenkontor24.de/FOTW/images/p/pr_coq.jpg

Last edited by brother's keeper; 01-24-2011 at 06:49 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

Yeah but even alotta of Spanairds have African lineage due to the Moors ruling Southern Europe which explains why many Southern Europeans(including Spaniards) have dark exotic looks in comparison to the rest of Europe...

Sound like you have an interesting family..Personally I don't care for the word negro cause it sounds racist....I guess it depends on perspective..

Last edited by brother's keeper; 01-24-2011 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyfrompr View Post
As a Puerto Rican I laugh when I hear Ricans in the United States claim they are 100% Taino indian, or even a 3rd. It's impossible.

All Puerto Ricans are:
-fully White or mostly White (MAJORITY) [ricky martn, benicio del toro, Dayanara Torres, Denise Quiñones, Zuleyka Rivera, sonia sotomayor, Daddy Yankee, Baby Rasta y gringo, wisin y yandel, Joaquin Phoenix, marc anthony, mayra matos, jennifer colon, cynthia olavaria, charlotte ayana, noelia, susie castillo, nina sky, ect ect]
-mostly Black [think tego calderon, roberto clemente, bernie williams]
-about equal [rosario dawson]
-strong indigenous look [Luis Guzman]
-theres also some Asian Puerto Ricans but are usually highly mixed but they are a small minority.

Puerto Rico is a TINY island in the Caribbean where:
-European (and some Arab/Persian) explorers came, and brought along disease.
-Taino population was originally small, and virtually wiped out early on by disease and genocide.
-Island was White washed by immigrants from Europe many times over for centuries. Spaniards, Portuguese, Germans, Italians, British, French, Greeks, ect.
-Blacks who were brought to replace the lost Taino slaves were not allowed to mix with the Whites for some time. There was never a huge Black population anyway.

That is the truth, it's common sense.

Here are some examples in PR:

Moderator cut: copyright photos

Vast majority of people look southern European.

And in NYC, large PR population:

Same.

I disagree..I see alot of ethnic/non European looking faces even on many of the lightskinned Puerto Ricans in those pics.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post

And that is kind of the point. She looks European, but what is “European” looking? Her name is Jamila Wideman and she IS African American. Here is a picture of her with her father, famous African-American author John Edgar Wideman.

If I would have said she was Puerto Rican no one would have questioned her nationality. But are Puerto Ricans any different than African Americans? Quickly look at the link to this high school. In the upper right corner of the page you will see images of the school and its students and you would probably think it is a typical inner-city high school with black and hispanic students.

But it is not. It is Charles City High School in rural Virginia. Charles City County is one of the oldest communities in all of the United States and was created just up the road from Jamestown (the oldest permanent English settlement in the United States) in 1619. This county has been around for nearly 400 years and has a small, tight-knit population. Look at these senior year photos from Charles City High if you can keep from laughing at the 1970s and 1980s haircuts! When you look at each of these classes on the social network site, you have to click on the name to see the photos. As you are ROTFL at the hairstyles, ask yourself why for such a small high school, the majority of all of the students only have 10 different last names: Adkins, Bradby, Brown, Charity, Christian, Cotman, Crawley, Crewe, Jones, and Whitehead. These last names (except Brown and Jones) are not particularly common. Why do so many of the students have these last names? If anything else just look at the pictures for the last name Adkins. And the Whiteheads too.
Why is like 10% of every graduating class last named Adkins? They all can't be brothers and sisters, there are too many of them in every grade. Are these Adkins black? Hispanic? Are the people with the last name Whitehead white?

Actually, many of these students (particularly the Adkins) are part of the Chickahominy Indian Tribe. But it is clear that they are not full-blooded Native American, African American, and certainly not European American. Very early on in American history, there was no concept of race and Indians, Africans, and Europeans mixed freely. However, when this mixed race population began to be too large (and thus powerful), in the 1660s Virginia passed laws called slave codes that attempted to keep Africans from intermarrying with whites and Indians. To all new coming Africans it was successful except for those black women who were impregnated by their masters. But for those communities that predate the laws, you can see that the population is racially ambiguous.

This is just like Puerto Rico. Borinquen was an island where all the populations have a high rate of admixture. Had whites in America not passed the slave codes "African" Americans would look very much like Puerto Ricans or all look like these Adkins in the 400 year old Charles City County. But what do you also notice? With the exception of the Whiteheads, there aren't very many "white" looking Charles City High students. But if you look at the students from 1963, Charles City High was completely white. Where did all of the European Americans go?

What Puerto Ricans need to understand, is that no matter how light your skin or eyes, how light or straight your hair, if you have any other ancestry besides European you will not be considered white. Despite all of the people being multiracial and having European last names, almost all of the "white" Charles City High students left after the school integrated because of their disdain for people of mixed race heritage. Notice the white Charles City students don't share the same English last names as the Chickahominy (there is not ONE white Adkins?). As long as Puerto Ricans are on the island, they don't have to choose a race just like these Chickahominy people as long as they stay in Charles City County. But when Puerto Ricans come to the mainland, they will never be accepted as white due to their African and Native American heritage.

I agree with most of your post excluding the revisionary story about mass mixing between blacks and whites in the US until Virginia laws against mixing race in the 1600s...Even before the creation of those laws considering the hostile relationship between blacks and whites in the country mixed race unions were very rare.

Last edited by brother's keeper; 01-24-2011 at 06:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories