Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 37,397 times

Advertisements

I am a RN travel nurse in the US, mostly on the East Coast so far but have been thinking about possible asignments in Guam and the Virgin Islands. From reading the posts here I understand the medical care is not what it's like in the mainland, much worse from what I gather. I am concerned with the treatment of the travel nurse, we are valued some places, hated in others, does anyone know of the attitudes towards the traveler there, in general and at the hospitals? My asignment would last from 13 weeks to 26.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 06:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoungoodman View Post
I am a RN travel nurse in the US, mostly on the East Coast so far but have been thinking about possible asignments in Guam and the Virgin Islands. From reading the posts here I understand the medical care is not what it's like in the mainland, much worse from what I gather. I am concerned with the treatment of the travel nurse, we are valued some places, hated in others, does anyone know of the attitudes towards the traveler there, in general and at the hospitals? My asignment would last from 13 weeks to 26.
Scores of traveling nurses come here every year. Some love it and either extend their contracts or otherwise return every year or so, and some hate it and can't wait to leave. The majority I've met have been dedicated hard-working professionals who quickly learn to adapt to island customs (even such a small thing as saying, "Good Morning/Afternoon/Day/Night" before asking a question can make the world of difference.) And I've met a few who, although they may be dedicated professionals while working, turn into run-swilling, foul-mouthed, pant-chasing floozies once they're off duty - and those include members of both sexes!

From many conversations with many of them, the health care system here is as good or as bad as anywhere stateside. There are many stateside facilities much better than those here but also many much much worse.

There is sometimes some resentment in some quarters about the traveling nurses being paid more than the locals but generally the travelers fit in just fine.

Hope that helps a little. Cheers!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 37,397 times
Thanks STT resident! I rarely drink so I don't think that would be a problem for me. I would be bringing my daughter as well. She's 14 and I can't think of a better experience for her, or me for that matter. I have read that the schools in Guam are not the best, do you know how the school system is in the VI? Again, thank you for the reply.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 AM

Having your daughter along with you does put a new perspective on the table. The public school system here has a lot of problems and although there is excellent private schooling available, it's very expensive. I'm sending you some information via direct message which may help. Cheers!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 PM

286 posts, read 1,081,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoungoodman View Post
Thanks STT resident! I rarely drink so I don't think that would be a problem for me. I would be bringing my daughter as well. She's 14 and I can't think of a better experience for her, or me for that matter. I have read that the schools in Guam are not the best, do you know how the school system is in the VI? Again, thank you for the reply.
Do not even think of putting your child in the public school system in the VI.
The schools are located in the ugly, scary and dangerous places downtown and the classes have bars instead of glass windows.
Schools there are just one small step up from the prison system

Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 16,178 times
I'm looking for nursing agencies that have contracts in the South Pacific, Puerto Rico, and U.S.Virgin Islands. I'd also aapreciate the opinions of people who have worked there. [email]wolfjonathanmark@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 07-02-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanW View Post
I'm looking for nursing agencies that have contracts in the South Pacific, Puerto Rico, and U.S.Virgin Islands. I'd also aapreciate the opinions of people who have worked there. wolfjonathanmark@yahoo.com
There is a steady flow of traveler nurses in the USVI and I'm sure if you do a Google using key words, "travel nurse agencies US Virgin Islands or /South Pacific or /Puerto Rico you'll find plenty of information. Cheers!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 45,336 times
I'm in the Virgin Island for the first time. Some are friendly others are not. The public transportation system is not available after sunset. There are taxis that cost about $10 to get from the hospital to your place. Making groceries is expensive. I spend about $100 a week and I'm buying for just one person. All in all it's not bad in the Virgin Island you just have to make adjustments to travel and expenses. I do enjoy the sun and weather. I enjoy the beaches. If you decide on the Virgin Island, you will make a good choice. Be sure to bring light clothing, shorts and sundresses are the attire that most wear. Lots of hills to walk. It has only rained at night. Hope you decide on St. Thomas, it is an experience that I'm glad I decided to do.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 AM

There are several companies represented here. One is Trustaff, which I work for, also PNS, Crosscountry. Look them up.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:09 AM

St. Thomas isn't bad. There's good and bad here. It will all depend on what you make of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories