U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 AM
 
6 posts, read 38,834 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

As a Puerto Rican I laugh when I hear Ricans in the United States claim they are 100% Taino indian, or even a 3rd. It's impossible.

All Puerto Ricans are:
-fully White or mostly White (MAJORITY) [ricky martn, benicio del toro, Dayanara Torres, Denise Quiñones, Zuleyka Rivera, sonia sotomayor, Daddy Yankee, Baby Rasta y gringo, wisin y yandel, Joaquin Phoenix, marc anthony, mayra matos, jennifer colon, cynthia olavaria, charlotte ayana, noelia, susie castillo, nina sky, ect ect]
-mostly Black [think tego calderon, roberto clemente, bernie williams]
-about equal [rosario dawson]
-strong indigenous look [Luis Guzman]
-theres also some Asian Puerto Ricans but are usually highly mixed but they are a small minority.

Puerto Rico is a TINY island in the Caribbean where:
-European (and some Arab/Persian) explorers came, and brought along disease.
-Taino population was originally small, and virtually wiped out early on by disease and genocide.
-Island was White washed by immigrants from Europe many times over for centuries. Spaniards, Portuguese, Germans, Italians, British, French, Greeks, ect.
-Blacks who were brought to replace the lost Taino slaves were not allowed to mix with the Whites for some time. There was never a huge Black population anyway.

That is the truth, it's common sense.

Here are some examples in PR:

Moderator cut: copyright photos


Vast majority of people look southern European.

And in NYC, large PR population:







Same.

Last edited by Keeper; 07-02-2010 at 05:59 AM..
Rate this post positively

 
Old 06-24-2010, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,070 posts, read 11,071,624 times
Reputation: 977
I was just talking about this in some other threads not long ago.

I read an article a while ago where they took blood/DNA samples in Puerto Rico and found that over 85% of the population in PR were at least part Taino. Most of the Tainos were wiped out but I heard it's a myth that there were no traces of them left after that, many mixed with the Spanish and Africans. There are more than likely no pure Tainos left, but many Puerto Ricans are part Taino.

Here in the Cleveland/Lorain area there are a lot of Puerto Ricans and I'm also half Puerto Rican myself. There were also a lot of mixed race people where I grew up, mainly mixed with Black and White. I don't know if it's just the Spanish mix in Puerto Ricans, but I can easily tell the difference between a regular Mixed Race person in the area and a Puerto Rican. I believe this difference is due to the Taino in Puerto Ricans which gives them a distinct look from other Mixed Race people.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-24-2010, 03:47 PM
 
8,749 posts, read 16,836,079 times
Reputation: 4168
I would say that using PR's standard of what 'white' is...it is probably 75% white population...and using the rest of the world's version of 'white' (specifically the US), it would be about 10%. Overall I would say that PR is one of the only true mixed race countries on the planet (Brazil would be the other), and there has been alot of study on that topic in both countries.

There is rarely a true anything on the island, other than varying degrees of mixed this way or that way.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-24-2010, 05:35 PM
 
6 posts, read 38,834 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
I was just talking about this in some other threads not long ago.

I read an article a while ago where they took blood/DNA samples in Puerto Rico and found that over 85% of the population in PR were at least part Taino. Most of the Tainos were wiped out but I heard it's a myth that there were no traces of them left after that, many mixed with the Spanish and Africans. There are more than likely no pure Tainos left, but many Puerto Ricans are part Taino.

Here in the Cleveland/Lorain area there are a lot of Puerto Ricans and I'm also half Puerto Rican myself. There were also a lot of mixed race people where I grew up, mainly mixed with Black and White. I don't know if it's just the Spanish mix in Puerto Ricans, but I can easily tell the difference between a regular Mixed Race person in the area and a Puerto Rican. I believe this difference is due to the Taino in Puerto Ricans which gives them a distinct look from other Mixed Race people.
The problem with the DNA study is that it does not mean indigenous Taino features will show since it is so minuscule. It was maternal DNA, 61.1% to be exact. The only thing that tells us is that at some point and time, 61.1% of the test batch had an indigenous ancestor at some point in the past. Could have been one person 6 or 7 generations in the past. The same test data indicated by the Y chromosome, showed over 70% of Puerto Ricans could trace their ancestry to male European ancestors.

That doesn't really mean much in an island White washed to death, where the Taino population was wiped out very early in the modern history of "Puerto Rico".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would say that using PR's standard of what 'white' is...it is probably 75% white population...and using the rest of the world's version of 'white' (specifically the US), it would be about 10%. Overall I would say that PR is one of the only true mixed race countries on the planet (Brazil would be the other), and there has been alot of study on that topic in both countries.

There is rarely a true anything on the island, other than varying degrees of mixed this way or that way.
The rest of the world does not share the "one drop" rule. The rest of the world follows "If you look White, your White". Most people around the world don't even know where Puerto Rico is. There are only an estimated 10 million Puerto Ricans world wide. The majority of people will pass for White even in Europe.

Last edited by someguyfrompr; 06-24-2010 at 05:45 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-25-2010, 05:53 AM
 
Location: SXSW
640 posts, read 1,610,018 times
Reputation: 612
Quote:
Here's my annoyance with Latinos and their obsession with how/what they are mixed with: NO ONE CARES. If you're not fully white, you are not considered white in this country so get over it.
However, people in the US DO care if you:
a) don't act low class/ghetto
b) graduate high school, college, etc.
c) have middle class values
d) have a job that gives you status
e) live in a nice neighborhood and have the means to "keep up with the Jones's"...even if you don't.
f) don't have babies you can't afford
g) are legally here
h) don't use entitlement programs for extended periods of time
i) are courteous and respectful
j) are proud to be American.

Latinos need to stop thinking that to be of Euro descendancy is what makes one better. It is the contributions to society one makes that matters. Look at the East Asians, look at the African immigrants, look at South Asian immigrants. All three of those groups have been in the US for a lot less time than Latinos yet accomplish more in one generation than what many Latino families accomplish...ever. That's why Latinos face discrimination like they do.
I still don't get why so many Latinos care so much that they have to prove their "Euro-ness." Latinos in the US by and large are associated with poverty, classlessness and apathy for education. Americans care about money and status far more than they will about race. There may be "white privilege" or "light skin privilege", but it will do nothing for you if you act like trash. Keep in mind that most white American people put down the "trash" of Appalachia as well. Whiteness alone doesn't make you look good. I've seen threads like this started by PR people so much. I will they would discuss some of the social pathologies and how to shame those people into doing better for themselves, not how mixed with white they are.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 PM
 
6 posts, read 38,834 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
Not only did you steal my photos, but the first one is mislabeled. That's not a bus, it's the Tren Urbano.

I'll be waiting for your response.
Found the pictures on Google images. I was not trying to pass them as my own. Apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideandseekforever View Post
I still don't get why so many Latinos care so much that they have to prove their "Euro-ness." Latinos in the US by and large are associated with poverty, classlessness and apathy for education. Americans care about money and status far more than they will about race. There may be "white privilege" or "light skin privilege", but it will do nothing for you if you act like trash. Keep in mind that most white American people put down the "trash" of Appalachia as well. Whiteness alone doesn't make you look good. I've seen threads like this started by PR people so much. I will they would discuss some of the social pathologies and how to shame those people into doing better for themselves, not how mixed with white they are.
In the USA where the terms Latino and Hispanic stereotypically mean those from Latin America with mixed raced ancestry or the assumption that any short White racially looking person with tan skin, black hair, and brown eyes or a Spanish last name is Latino Hispanic. I know plenty of people especially from southern Europe that are even automatically classified because they fit the description.

This American term has long been negative for our people because it groups so many together and has so many negative stereotypes. I wish it would cease it's use all together.

As for the one drop rule many mention when talking the USA, unprovable, so many people in the USA and even Europe are multiracial but still considered White (Look at Megan Fox for instance), you pretty much "choose a side" when you introduce yourself also depending on how you look. If the term Latino/Hispanic did not exist, most "Latinos/Hispanic" people would simply be classified White. When I travel to Europe, even though I explain I am from Puerto Rico I am still considered White by everyone I talk to. I have Black hair, brown eyes, olive skin.

I do agree what is more important is social status, money and the way you present yourself. In Puerto Rico there are so many social problems and negative stereotypes, it is even worse in the USA especially in NYC/Philly/Hartford areas. I am very proud of the Puerto Rican population especially in Florida which is fast growing and has stepped out of poverty. I only hope things improve for those stuck in the large east coast cities but it is, just slowly.

Last edited by someguyfrompr; 06-25-2010 at 03:26 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-25-2010, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Scranton
1,384 posts, read 2,880,905 times
Reputation: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyfrompr View Post
In Puerto Rico there are so many social problems and negative stereotypes, it is even worse in the USA especially in NYC/Philly/Hartford areas. I am very proud of the Puerto Rican population especially in Florida which is fast growing and has stepped out of poverty. I only hope things improve for those stuck in the large east coast cities but it is, just slowly.
The big difference between Florida and NY/NJ/CT/Philly is that Florida doesn't have liberal Democrats bent on keeping Puerto Ricans dependent on government assistance. On those cities, the .gov makes it too easy to be on welfare, but extremely difficult if you want to work your way out of poverty.

In Florida, the .gov stays out of your life for the most part. People have to work and end up living more productive lives and reaping the benefits of their work. You'll see that Puerto Ricans are finding lower costs of living and a better quality of life by moving to traditionally Republican states (FL, GA, TX) than by moving to traditionally Democrat states (NJ,CT,NY,MA).
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-26-2010, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,477,187 times
Reputation: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
The big difference between Florida and NY/NJ/CT/Philly is that Florida doesn't have liberal Democrats bent on keeping Puerto Ricans dependent on government assistance. On those cities, the .gov makes it too easy to be on welfare, but extremely difficult if you want to work your way out of poverty.

In Florida, the .gov stays out of your life for the most part. People have to work and end up living more productive lives and reaping the benefits of their work. You'll see that Puerto Ricans are finding lower costs of living and a better quality of life by moving to traditionally Republican states (FL, GA, TX) than by moving to traditionally Democrat states (NJ,CT,NY,MA).
Lol i'm sure this isn't a biased assessment at all!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-26-2010, 03:14 PM
 
140 posts, read 415,281 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by hideandseekforever View Post
I still don't get why so many Latinos care so much that they have to prove their "Euro-ness." Latinos in the US by and large are associated with poverty, classlessness and apathy for education. Americans care about money and status far more than they will about race. There may be "white privilege" or "light skin privilege", but it will do nothing for you if you act like trash. Keep in mind that most white American people put down the "trash" of Appalachia as well. Whiteness alone doesn't make you look good. I've seen threads like this started by PR people so much. I will they would discuss some of the social pathologies and how to shame those people into doing better for themselves, not how mixed with white they are.
So true. Too many bend over backwards to prove they are as a "white" nation. I have noticed this with a lot of Brazilians. Don't say the b-word (black) to a lot of them because "oh no no no. We are a WHITE country. Only 7% of the population is ummmm black." Okay whateva. It's a joke in Brazil that the only people who will admit to black ancestry are those who are blonde and blue-eyed. It's a game. When they mention my grandma is black you are supposed to say "no way. Who would have guessed." If you agree with them and say that you can definitely see some African ancestry they will pass out LOL.

Seems like these attitudes exist all over the Latin world. They are a little quick to prove their whiteness and the percentage of blondes in their society.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-26-2010, 07:11 PM
 
1,821 posts, read 4,181,924 times
Reputation: 4911
This is nothing new. We live in the western hemisphere. The western hemisphere is in aggregate euro-centric. It is a social currency of value to be white. As such, these descriptors are highly sought after. Anybody who says otherwise, particularly in the good ol US of A, is drinking the koombaya koolaid...

And yes, the majority of the world does not abide by the " one drop rule" . The world is collectively " you are what you look like". It is what it is, no pun intended...
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top