Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:15 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,371,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
Well, I'd be careful relaying such a questionable opinion. He probably couldn't transfer his medical insurance to PR and finds it is more convenient to go to Florida. Either that or he has no private insurance and he isn't poor enough to qualify for public hospitals. PR has equal medical facilities as the mainland, I just find the stupid private insurance system sucks.

Do you want me to post photos of all the hospitals, public and private in PR, to let the readers of this forum judge for themselves, seeing as how your friend has a preference to hospitals in Florida?

And no offense, but that thing about him flying to Florida sounds like utter bull. Who would pay to fly multiple times a year just for checkups? It's obvious there is more to this story you're leaving out. If not, then your friend probably shouldn't consider moving anywhere outside Perfectsprawlville, Florida.
I know someone who gave up a very high paying job because their spouse could not get decent medical care here in PR. If you think you will have medical issues you should realize that PR's medical system is not very accessible. Doctors refuse to give appointments. Instead, you are given an appointment day and must arrive and put your name on a waiting list. I have never had to wait less than four hours for even a routine appointment and often have had to wait for the entire day. I am always amazed at how many people can afford to waste so much time in accessing medical care but it seems to be an accepted thing here in PR. Now as a healthy person I can do this even though I find it frustrating, but for someone with disabilities who needs multiple appointments and has trouble sitting it can be a deal breaker.

I also have been surprised at some of the differences in medical practices (like how most staff do not use gloves when drawing blood, etc.). Recently when a flim showed suspicious lumps it took me almost two months to get a biopsy and that was only after I threw a fit. The staff told me that usually it takes much longer. BTW I have BC/BS so insurance wasn't the problem.

Last edited by Sandhillian; 08-04-2010 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:38 PM

238 posts, read 1,069,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
I know someone who gave up a very high paying job because their spouse could not get decent medical care here in PR. If you think you will have medical issues you should realize that PR's medical system is not very accessible. Doctors refuse to give appointments. Instead, you are given an appointment day and must arrive and put your name on a waiting list. I have never had to wait less than four hours for even a routine appointment and often have had to wait for the entire day. I am always amazed at how many people can afford to waste so much time in accessing medical care but it seems to be an accepted thing here in PR. Now as a healthy person I can do this even though I find it frustrating, but for someone with disabilities who needs multiple appointments and has trouble sitting it can be a deal breaker.

I also have been surprised at some of the differences in medical practices (like how most staff do not use gloves when drawing blood, etc.). Recently when a flim showed suspicious lumps it took me almost two months to get a biopsy and that was only after I threw a fit. The staff told me that usually it takes much longer. BTW I have BC/BS so insurance wasn't the problem.
Well then if insurance wasn't the problem, why didn't the doctors give you the biopsy? Maybe you should find better doctors. There are tons of them in PR not just the one that lives closest to you. This is private health insurance, administered by the private sector. Long live capitalism.

Also, on an unrelated note, as part of the health reform in PR, the government is requiring a maximum of 1 hour wait time.

And like I said, all of you should find better doctors because my doctors are really good (gloves and all). I just hate private health insurance.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:42 AM

A maximum of one hour wait time in PR - that would be wonderful!! Do you really think it will come to pass? Everytime I go to a new doctor I ask why he/she doesn't give appointments. The answer invariably is that no one would show up. I find this hard to believe since there is always a waiting room full of 30-40 people who have been there for most of the day. I wish they would just charge a premium for an actual appointment time if the doc is worried about people not showing up. I would gladly pay extra to avoid waiting for hours. I'm with you on wishing there was a public health care option though. My HMO in the states (Kaiser) is looking really good to me now. My complaint is not so much with the quality of care in PR (you can find board certified doctors if you take the time to do research) as with the inconvenience and stress of getting it. I just think it is important for people planning on retiring in PR to know that if they have a disability or serious medical issues they may have a hard time accessing medical care.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 PM

238 posts, read 1,069,878 times
What is an HMO?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
What is an HMO?
Health Maintenance Organization (a type of managed care)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories