Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 12:13 AM

5 posts, read 10,912 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be traveling to Puerto Rico at the end of August to explore the island to discern the best location to relocate our family to in Puerto Rico. We are "mainlanders" but we speak Spanish nearly fluently and our children were adopted from a spanish-speaking country as well.

We desire to live in an area that is NOT touristy and/or over-populated with "mainlanders". We don't want to live in/near San Juan. We would prefer to live in an area that is more traditionally Puerto Rican, but where there would be hope for us to get jobs (my husband has his MBA, I have my BA degree in Education...we both speak English fluently and Spanish nearly fluently) and a place that would be safe and affordable for our family to live.

What suggestions do you have for areas for us to check out while we are there in a few weeks? What type of jobs would be most likely to hire people with our background? I'd be looking for part-time, my husband for part-to-full-time work.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:11 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times
Aibonito immediately comes to mind. While I cannot boast about personally knowing a whole lot about this town, I've heard nothing but great things about it. It's slightly east of the central mountainous region, and is known to have Puerto Rico's coolest weather. See link below.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Click on the "Aibonito Panoramio Photos" link at the above site.

The other place that comes to mind is the north western town of Isabela. I go there each year precisely because it's a non-tourist destination. The locals are genuinely nice and down to earth. The town is clean and safe.

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:49 AM..

Old 08-06-2010, 07:15 AM

238 posts, read 1,071,365 times
I would honestly recommend Dorado (again). Dorado has English speakers, but not overflowing, although it will be hard to find a place overflowing with Angloparlants, unless it's touristy, which Dorado technically is...

Just go to Dorado My recommendation

There are many areas of PR that have concentrations of bilingual schools (Dorado is one of them) and in these areas you will find Puerto Ricans and the youth speaking English.

I had a Canadian friend who came down here to live though and he learned Spanish perfectly with the same Boricua accent.

You could also try the West coast, other forumers can go more into detail about that region.

And finally, there is Ponce. It is a really beautiful city in the same league as San Juan, but it's like a hidden secret and is not overloaded with tourists.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 10,912 times
Thanks for the advice! I'm adding those places to our list to check out!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:16 AM

32 posts, read 106,119 times
Cabo Rojo, in the southwestern part of the island. A big town/little city, low crime rate, good infrastructure, only about 10-15 minutes from Mayagüez Mall. Cabo Rojo have good beaches and some areas are touristy but only the areas to the coast. The downtown is far from these areas and its recreation quare (plaza) is a very good place to stay, good environment, some cafes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories