U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2011, 01:03 PM
 
1,017 posts, read 2,256,344 times
Reputation: 731

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by username3 View Post
Just walk inside any public housing projects with a camera and see what will happen, ahahaha, you will get so robbed/beat up/possibly killed so fast. If you are suicidal then go ahead. Take a picture of a drug deal in progress and ignore the fac tthat there are about 3 murders a day in PR.

Puerto Rico is just as bad as New Orleans and Detroit when it comes to murders.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2011, 04:51 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,801 posts, read 9,114,552 times
Reputation: 7328
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Puerto Rico is just as bad as New Orleans and Detroit when it comes to murders.
San Juan is the 46th largest city in the United States but is #1 when it comes to homicides and violent crime.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 PM
 
4 posts, read 8,402 times
Reputation: 10
Username 3 and aab7855 got it right, if your moving to PR to sell heroin and crack you will get a dozen bullets in your face within months. But the traffickers and neighborhood guys are goal based they try to create a "safe" environment so people can buy drugs with no worry.. Most projects are acually kind of condo looking and if your there visiting family or to buy drugs you will have zero problems. Why else would you go there??? LLoren Torres is so big that they never got it together and is definitely not safe for outsiders... but it beats the gang infested streets of America, living in NYC and Jersey I would go out to get a gallon of milk and come back with broken knuckles.. They will jump and wup ass just for being in the wrong block or being a dif race.. Guys getting beat on for wearing the wrong color shirts..... Being in PR since 2001 never had any problems hang out late night all the time,, beautiful women everywhere, high heels to go to the supermarket kind of place, The US has a lot of nice states and low crime areas in the suburbs and country, but most cities are **** holes, in the northeast the nicest city is Boston, but then you get hartford, New Haven, Newark, Camden, Philladelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Richmond, DC, and let me not tell you about the south it gets worse with New Orleans, and US chicks walk the streets in pijamas... def some overall higiene issues with the states, many bathe once a day, and skip days, Puertoricans must bathe 2 or 3 times a day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,802 times
Reputation: 24
Yeah maybe for someone who's rough and has some street experience Puerto Rico might not seem that bad. But let a native say a couple things.

I've lived 22 years (all my life) in PR and let me tell you, PR is just a massive scale jungle-dystopia. Imagine if you took one of USA's national parks and put all of the worst people in there mixed in with good people. That's what puerto rico is like in a nutshell. And it's not just the city, even in the mainland there's murders and trouble everywhere. I was born in the mountains inland, now I live in the metro area which for us is the "city". Up there we also had gangs, murders (some were very gruesome like some guy that they tied to a tree and burned alive), robberies (if you win the lottery in PR sometimes you have to escape to USA because they will come after you to rob you), and all sorts of stuff.

In the city nowadays, it's no-mans land. In the past 4 years, I've seen over 10 bodies, heard hundreds, if not thousands, of gunshots from gunfights, "celebrations" and robberies, and two high speed shootouts in highways full of traffic. It's so bad that highways is called "death road" colloquially now. Hell, last week as I was leaving for college, we saw 2 dead ppl in a car that had been shot not even a mile away. Oh and right next to a police station.

Now, I don't live in the "bad" parts of the city. I don't even live near where most of the real nasty stuff happens. I'm middle class, live in a access controlled neighborhood, I'm not involved in any kinds of trouble. But in PR, you don't need to look for trouble, trouble finds you. Even here where I live, they occasionally break in and steal from some of the houses.

Now, I've been to DC, Baltimore, NYC, ATL... and of course, I didn't see any bad things because I wasn't there for a long while. So to all those people that been here for a week or two, it's not enough to judge if it's safe or not. PR is beautiful, good food and all but it's no means safe. Everyone that lives near the city, or in Ponce, is to some extent scared that they might get robbed, or shot , or raped. People won't outright say it, but they discuss it when with friends family. Most people affected by the violence would leave if they had money or the means.

While in USA it's harder to be accepted socially, due to separation between races (blacks live in one area, whites in other, indus in another, chinese in another ect.) people generally respect each other, and don't intentionally give you troubles.

In PR there's no such thing. Ppl only show respect to tourists or someone that could damage your paycheck (boss, co-worker, customer, someone related to your job). To other ppl, they will be rude and agressive for the slightest stupid things, and often just looking at someone will start a fight or they will yell at you "QUE MIRAS ******?" which means what you looking at, f$@er.

This is the truth that I see, the truth you can't make up. It's reality.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 PM
 
355 posts, read 641,666 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwiguitar View Post
Yeah maybe for someone who's rough and has some street experience Puerto Rico might not seem that bad. But let a native say a couple things.

I've lived 22 years (all my life) in PR and let me tell you, PR is just a massive scale jungle-dystopia. Imagine if you took one of USA's national parks and put all of the worst people in there mixed in with good people. That's what puerto rico is like in a nutshell. And it's not just the city, even in the mainland there's murders and trouble everywhere. I was born in the mountains inland, now I live in the metro area which for us is the "city". Up there we also had gangs, murders (some were very gruesome like some guy that they tied to a tree and burned alive), robberies (if you win the lottery in PR sometimes you have to escape to USA because they will come after you to rob you), and all sorts of stuff.

In the city nowadays, it's no-mans land. In the past 4 years, I've seen over 10 bodies, heard hundreds, if not thousands, of gunshots from gunfights, "celebrations" and robberies, and two high speed shootouts in highways full of traffic. It's so bad that highways is called "death road" colloquially now. Hell, last week as I was leaving for college, we saw 2 dead ppl in a car that had been shot not even a mile away. Oh and right next to a police station.

Now, I don't live in the "bad" parts of the city. I don't even live near where most of the real nasty stuff happens. I'm middle class, live in a access controlled neighborhood, I'm not involved in any kinds of trouble. But in PR, you don't need to look for trouble, trouble finds you. Even here where I live, they occasionally break in and steal from some of the houses.

Now, I've been to DC, Baltimore, NYC, ATL... and of course, I didn't see any bad things because I wasn't there for a long while. So to all those people that been here for a week or two, it's not enough to judge if it's safe or not. PR is beautiful, good food and all but it's no means safe. Everyone that lives near the city, or in Ponce, is to some extent scared that they might get robbed, or shot , or raped. People won't outright say it, but they discuss it when with friends family. Most people affected by the violence would leave if they had money or the means.

While in USA it's harder to be accepted socially, due to separation between races (blacks live in one area, whites in other, indus in another, chinese in another ect.) people generally respect each other, and don't intentionally give you troubles.

In PR there's no such thing. Ppl only show respect to tourists or someone that could damage your paycheck (boss, co-worker, customer, someone related to your job). To other ppl, they will be rude and agressive for the slightest stupid things, and often just looking at someone will start a fight or they will yell at you "QUE MIRAS ******?" which means what you looking at, f$@er.

This is the truth that I see, the truth you can't make up. It's reality.
You live there and without a doubt your experiences are valid. As a young person I hope you will share some ideas about how or what can or will change the heading PR has taken.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,801 posts, read 9,114,552 times
Reputation: 7328
It's a cultural problem .... similar to the one that has overtaken the Black community here on the mainland.

Only they (the people of Puerto Rico & the youth in particular) can fix their cultural problem ... no amount of US Border Patrol agents, FBI SWAT teams, or Federal grants can fix this.

Do you know that the k-12 public schools have a 42% dropout rate?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2015, 04:50 PM
 
1 posts, read 998 times
Reputation: 10
I live in Puerto Rico. I've been to the housing project llorens torres many times. Yes there are drug points as with anywhere else and murders as with anywhere else. 95% of the time if you just go on about your business, Noone messes with you there. Again mind your business you'll be ok. I don't see any damn different crap here than what I saw living my whole life in Florida. Same stuff especially in Miami and Orlando. Just mind your business when you go places you'll be perfectly fine...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2015, 11:19 AM
 
355 posts, read 641,666 times
Reputation: 616
Whether stateside or en isle you can mind your own business all day long but when the bullets start flying you can find yourself "collaterally dead" or grievously injured like so many thousands have across the country. And who wants to live this way, look at someone the wrong way, wear the wrong color or witness something you weren't supposed to see. Tolerating living this way has become the new norm... why, these are murderous drug dealing thugs who choose the life for the easy money rather than educating themselves and building a future. I'm fed up with it, they are the dregs and they are dragging everyone down with them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2015, 04:48 PM
 
Location: todo el mundo!!
1,590 posts, read 1,352,150 times
Reputation: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
Whether stateside or en isle you can mind your own business all day long but when the bullets start flying you can find yourself "collaterally dead" or grievously injured like so many thousands have across the country. And who wants to live this way, look at someone the wrong way, wear the wrong color or witness something you weren't supposed to see. Tolerating living this way has become the new norm... why, these are murderous drug dealing thugs who choose the life for the easy money rather than educating themselves and building a future. I'm fed up with it, they are the dregs and they are dragging everyone down with them.
claro, y its also the police corruption and bad government cuz the peoples have no access to jobs or money, then the bangerz shoot them up wen they don’t pay back the drug dealers. its disgusting. todo barrios en PR has bullets flying.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
41,598 posts, read 51,480,424 times
Reputation: 72094
I got a lesson on how things work in Puerto Rico from my DIL, who grew up there. It was mostly about how corrupt and chaotic the political structure is. It 78 (or 58?) separate political entities, in a 100x35 mile area.
Also, almost everyone graduates from high school and college, so there aren't enough high paying jobs to go around, so young people leave in droves.
She has a Masters in architecture, so she will never go back to PR, because she would only be able to get a low paying job there. Her brother is a lawyer and he will probably leave too.
She told a story about how her grandfather, who had a city block of commercial buildings with an adjacent parking lot. The corrupt mayor, who is now in jail, took the parking lot by eminent domain to build a building that has never been occupied. With no parking, her grandfather's commercial space is useless.
It sounds like a god awful mess there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top