Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 11:54 AM

354 posts, read 385,309 times

Advertisements

Super long wait times, absolutely no acknowledgement from anyone in a restaurant for a looooong time, sometimes being completely ignored altogether and not getting any service at all. Restaurants not opening on time, food and even a simple drink taking so long. We are white and speak some spanish...

I thought maybe its a covid thing but it really just looks like horrible service, and almost a discriminatory thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 11:57 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
Super long wait times, absolutely no acknowledgement from anyone in a restaurant for a looooong time, sometimes being completely ignored altogether and not getting any service at all. Restaurants not opening on time, food and even a simple drink taking so long. We are white and speak some spanish...

I thought maybe its a covid thing but it really just looks like horrible service, and almost a discriminatory thing...
So.... all of PR is awful?

Old 06-25-2021, 11:59 AM

We havent been to every side but we have been to san juan, culebra, rio grande. Both higher end places and lower end. The best service we got is the fruit stand on the side of the road.

Old 06-25-2021, 12:13 PM

245 posts, read 341,913 times
Quote:

I'm actually heading to San Juan in a couple of weeks. It sounds a bit concerning. Did this take place in San Juan? Any particular restaurants to look out for?

Old 06-25-2021, 12:45 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
There is nothing disconcerning. It doesn't matter where you go south of the United States, customer service is lacking. It isn't that they are intentionally giving 'bad' service, but rather that that is the normal expected way of doing business. Expecting to be greeted with a giant fake smile and given prompt service is not how it is done, more so in a restaurant. In the islands of the Caribbean it's known as "island time." Could be a culture shock for some Americans used to the saying "the customer is always right."

Judging any restaurant outside of the USA/Canada by the customer service compared to those places is a moot point. One thing has nothingto do with the other.

Puerto Rico is in a gray zone, because on many things it's like the US and on other things it isn't. Customer service is more in tune with the rest of Latin America than with the USA. In other things it can be confusing, such as speed limits is MPH (like in the USA), but distances is in kilometers (not like the USA.) That's Puerto Rico in a nutshell.

If you're asking yourself "isn't Puerto Rico part of the USA?" Like with everything else, the answer is yes and no. Welcome to the twilight zone. lol Why is it like that? Because that's how Puerto Ricans want their island. It really is as simple as that. What may seem weird to you is normal to others. What would be considered 'bad customer service' on mainland USA is normal customer service in Puerto Rico.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-25-2021 at 01:00 PM..

Old 06-25-2021, 04:39 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
I agree with AntonioR. Our group learned this back in 1994 when we were working in PR. One of the ways it was explained to us was the customer was not to feel rushed when ordering or wanting the check to pay for your meal.

Our mentor showed and explained to us a simple wave of the hand alerted your server you were ready to order or you were ready to pay and leave.

Old 06-25-2021, 05:07 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:

I noticed the same thing when I visited San Juan in 2008.

At one restaurant, we told the manager about the long wait time and he got angry at us. LOL

Old 06-26-2021, 09:25 AM

I've traveled to Mexico many times, and I guess I was expecting the same warm welcome. But we did NOT get it.

It wasnt that we weren't being rushed. It was that we were being completely ignored when standing at the counter or after we were seated. The worst offender was Cafe Berlin in San Juan, with several bones to pick on our experience.

Overall, Puerto Rico seems not to care AT ALL if they get any visitor income. The whole experience, even down to the resort which cost thousands, was lackluster.

Add to that the ridiculous mandatory hand sanitizer and temp checks everywhere you go, along with the mask mandates and daily check ins to report your health status...AND the fees on top of taxes on top of fees...

I was planning to have my wedding here but after all this I would NOT subject my guests to this!

Old 06-26-2021, 09:43 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,318 times
if you knew the hoops you had to jump thru to get married in PR you wouldn't anyway. tells me you didnt research or you are a liar. also proves you've never been to europe. lol

please cry some more little person. your tears is why the caribe is so salty

Old 06-26-2021, 10:11 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
I've traveled to Mexico many times, and I guess I was expecting the same warm welcome. But we did NOT get it.

It wasnt that we weren't being rushed. It was that we were being completely ignored when standing at the counter or after we were seated. The worst offender was Cafe Berlin in San Juan, with several bones to pick on our experience.

Overall, Puerto Rico seems not to care AT ALL if they get any visitor income. The whole experience, even down to the resort which cost thousands, was lackluster.

What? Puerto Rico gets more visitors than many islands in the Caribbean and San Juan (particularly the Old San Juan-Condado-Isla Verde corridor) is the epicenter of the Puerto Rican tourism industry.

In a normal year (2010) PR received more than 1.3 million tourists (not including Puerto Ricans visiting the island.) Of so many islands in the Caribbean, PR was surpassed by just Dominican Republic, Cuba and Jamaica.
https://www.onecaribbean.org/content...Lattab2010.pdf

Regardless what anyone wants to think, PR is a major tourist destination in the Caribbean. Plus, unlike the three that surpassed it, PR is a mostly "a-la-carte" destination instead of all inclusive, and it still has the largest luxury hotel options (Ritz Carlton types) of any island in the Caribbean.

Quote:
Add to that the ridiculous mandatory hand sanitizer and temp checks everywhere you go, along with the mask mandates and daily check ins to report your health status...AND the fees on top of taxes on top of fees...

I was planning to have my wedding here but after all this I would NOT subject my guests to this!
Excuse the island for not wanting to continue spreading Covid while on vacation. What type of complaint is this at this time?

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-26-2021 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories