U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:23 PM

2,624 posts, read 6,397,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
We could always add two while combining the Dakotas and Carolinas. That keeps it at 50.

Also, don't forget the State of Jefferson. That's really the only one I know.
No need to go to all that trouble. If the U.S. adds Guam as a state, some Hawaiians (http://www.opihi.com/sovereignty/sovereig.txt - broken link) wouldn't mind seeing Hawai'i be a sovereign nation again -- that would also keep the number of states at 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 AM

3,742 posts, read 7,138,381 times
Combining the two Virginias back together would allow us to add three new territories as well. Like that would ever fly with West Virginians

Old 11-08-2007, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 21,707 times
I just thought I write a little on my opinion. This is about to very different people...well call them "Americans" and "Chamorrus" Reading what people have to say about Guam just gets to me, heres why....Many people have a lot to say about a place like Guam in which they have not even visited and seen for themselfs....take it from me, I am a chamorru but i was born and raised in the state of California. I lived in Cali for 13 years then ive moved to Guam. I have lived on the beautiful island of Guam for 6 years and counting. To be honest, living both stateside and islandstlye....we as islanders have a lot of respect for many people. Now Im not trying to say bad things about statesiders because remember i was once one....but unlike Guam, theres not too many statesiders who have a great amount of respect for others. If you look at Guam's traffic accidents of 2006 and 2007 youll realize that many of the accidents are caused by military personal, "Americans". They come to Guam go out, drink, have fun then they drive like they own the roads. Its like they dont respect the other drivers or the people on Guam. Im not saying anything about them or anything like that im just defending my island. People should realize that we do live like people in the states, we just have our little differences. We are all equal...we as chamorrus are not better then americans and the same for "Americans"...they are not better then Chamorrus...WE ARE ALL EQUAL!!!! WE ARE ALL in one way or another AMERICANS!!!! So when you say that Guam is a problem to the US because of money issues...I have to disagree with you on that. Im sorry but this is how i felt while reading what everyone had to say about GUAM. If i offended any of you in any way, Im sorry. That wasnt my intention. With much respect....A CHAMORRU....from GUAM!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:10 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,160,099 times
I think if we were to see a new state in the next 10 years, it would be Cuba.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:42 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,652,893 times
Exclamation This thread is on Guam

This thread is on Guam, the forum is on U.S. Territories...anything else needs to head on over to World. Let's stay on topic, shall we?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:15 AM

1,298 posts, read 3,937,799 times
This is interesting. I'll have to ask my dad, born and raised on Guam, what he thinks of the idea of statehood.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 PM

884 posts, read 968,460 times
I'd just like to say that I was born on Guam and spent many of my childhood years on Guam... I love the island and everything about it. I really think that Guam would be happier not having statehood, so that they may have more autonomony than the 50 states do. The governor of Guam can run Guam just fine without too much U.S. intervention, although it is a territory. I also think that it is terrible for a nation to say "you're a territory, Guam" and we own you so dont think about making your own laws. This is just a synonym for institutional slavery...meaning that the U.S. can make Guam do what it wants but not allowing it to benefit from statehood like the other 50 states. U.S. needs to make up its mind....state or no state so there will be no more confusion. Guam is a beautiful place... I think it will stay that way if the U.S. does not claim it for a state.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:06 AM

6 posts, read 47,582 times
Well I think that we as Americans are to centered in what a typical American should be, white or black. But there's a lot more out there, the residents from Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam are Americans just like us living in the mainland. We should end these territories and make them states.

I know that in Puerto Rico statehood is a huge deal, and should be a walk in the park if they go that way. As American I wouldn't mind adding a few states to this great nation after all the only originals here are the Native Americans, we are a great melting pot, and that's what makes America the greatest nation in the world. After all its only fair to them since they go to the same wars we do, they raise the US flag, and they all have been part of this country for a while now.

Cheers!

Old 12-17-2007, 11:52 AM

15 posts, read 84,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truetomine View Post
i would rather give them independence got enough people to support in the usa
What makes you think they need the support of the U.S. they have a good economy

Old 12-21-2007, 08:01 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,634,317 times
Thumbs up Why statehood?

Why does Guam need Statehood? Do they really want it? I am neither for it nor against it but I don't see a reason for us to make Guam a State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or