Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:06 PM

128 posts, read 347,509 times

Advertisements

to be a state.

I'm from Guam (living in Maryland) but I have to be honest--it's just too small in population to be a state. There's no way Congress will give Guam two U.S. Senators for 170,000 people. Even after all the military build up, it will still be less than 220,000 people on the island.

HOWEVER, something needs to be done about the status quo. It can't go on like the way it has, with what seems at times a cavalier, who-cares-about-you-or-what-you-think attitude by Washington (with regard to self-determination).

The Guamanians have spoken on more than one occasion by plebiscite that they want to be a commonwealth. But, one excuse after another and it just sits there and sits there unresolved. "Unincorporated U.S. Territory" might have been appropriate in 1950 and the ensuing years, but it's time for political progress, people.

It has been stated before: Guam has some of the most PATRIOTIC AMERICANS anywhere in the U.S. It's also near the top if not at the top per capita in the number of its young men and women serving (and dying) in the U.S. Armed Forces. That should count for something to these tone-deaf national political leaders.

So...being a state is somewhat unrealistic, but we have smart people we vote (and pay) for to come up with something else that makes sense. And I hate it when I hear Americans from the mainland say something like "get rid of them, we don't want to pay for them!" Guamanians are not "them," they are Americans, if not full-fledged in their political privileges (like true representation in Congress or a Presidential vote), just like they are. Disgusts me to no end! (These are the some of the same people who can't even name their state capital, much less a little piece of America 10,000 miles away.)

To end on a positive note...GOD BLESS AMERICA--both in Guam, Where its Day Begins, and everywhere else in this great land of ours!

Last edited by RFinDE; 01-01-2008 at 08:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:21 AM

6 posts, read 47,802 times
RFinMD says it right, Guam is too small to become a state by itself. It would have to join with other island nations the way the Hawaiian Islands were joined.

Others are right too, most statesiders do not understand the issues on or about Guam. I call myself a 'reformed' statesider. Guam has not had any real chance to decide its fate. It does (now) govern itself to a large degree, but only because the US Congress allows it under its Organic Act (not the one for healthy foods). Guam does not have its own constitution like states do and its economy, which depends on Asia, not US has not done well in years. There is little room for industry, other than tourism, so it is rich in beauty more than cash. Guam does get to keep the taxes for persons employed here.

Guam pays no US tax (we do have to pay into FICA and Medicare) because it has no representation in the US government. Remember your American history of the Boston Tea Party? Same concept. No taxation without representation. While Guam does have a Congressional representative, currently Madeleine Z. Bordallo, her vote has no power. Same for USVI and Samoa but I'm not sure about PR. Last year, through their efforts, the House finally passed a measure that allows them to 'vote' but only if it doesn't affect the outcome of whatever is being voted upon. I love living on Guam, but because it is not a state, I had to give up my right to vote for the US President. Think about being forced to make that choice. How would you feel?

Still the Chamorro people are fiercly patriotic and they graciously and gratefully each July 21 celebrate their liberation from the Japanese occupation with little to no mention that the reason the island was taken over was because the US failed to defend it. During the occupation, families here were forced to suffer unspeakable acts that were never endured by statesiders. Children watched their mothers raped and their fathers beheaded. They fled their homes in terror and hid in caves. If the caves were on the beach they were forced to stand silently as the tide rose about them. When the Japanese came, they forced those of Japanese heritage to go back to Japan whether or not they had Chamorro spuses and children. If they managed to escape the Japanese they were put into concentration camps by the Americans. And yes, many woman there were made to perform 'comfort services' for military - and i don't mean they fluffed pillows!

The US will never leave Guam, nor will it leave other island nations such as the FSM (Federated States of Micronesia) or the Marshall Islands because they are valuable military resources. US gives some money, but not really enough when you consider the amount of land it has taken from the people (and you can bet its the best land to be had) and the ecological and sometimes social damage it causes and has caused. Because Guam is not a state, US makes laws, regulations and policies that affect Guam, without considering how they affect the people here. Immigration is a prime example. The US, not Guam, decides who can come here from foreign nations. In exchange for military use of their land, the US grants certain rights to citizens of the FSM and other places to travel freely. Do you think they go far beyond Guam? Do you think Guam has enough money to pay for their schooling and health care? Think again.

So, statehood, no. Independence, I don't think so. Status quo seems to be the order of this day. Besides, we just got that Home Depot and Ruby Tuesday . . .

If you are interested in the real history of Guam, there are many fine books and other materials. Unless and until you do understand, ask questions but please don't make assumptions or cast aspersions. Respecto!

Old 01-04-2008, 12:42 PM

128 posts, read 347,509 times
Default Great grasp and understanding, momonguam...

I believe I read one proposal was to make Guam a county of the State of Hawaii, but it was deemed too impractical--too far away.

I know there have been musings of uniting Guam and the Northern Marianas into one political entity, but there has been some lingering controversies related to the supposed allegiance and loyalty (or lack thereof) of people in the north during the Japanese occupation of the Marianas, adversely affecting the people in Guam--if I'm remembering this correctly.

Anyway, good job clearly stating the "real" situation on Guam's status and history.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 16,752 times
Default 54 States ... hmmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
We could always add two while combining the Dakotas and Carolinas. That keeps it at 50.

Also, don't forget the State of Jefferson. That's really the only one I know.
NO!!! As a Tar Heel born and bred (NORTH Carolina native and resident), I know I don't want to "The Carolinas" to be one state.

North and South are different. (North is better! )

If we add Guam, Puerto Rico and the Marianas, we could make a North California and a South California. That would give us 54 ... an EVEN number at least. That would give us 6 rows of 9 stars! Problem solved!!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadaKaye View Post
NO!!! As a Tar Heel born and bred (NORTH Carolina native and resident), I know I don't want to "The Carolinas" to be one state.

North and South are different. (North is better! )

If we add Guam, Puerto Rico and the Marianas, we could make a North California and a South California. That would give us 54 ... an EVEN number at least. That would give us 6 rows of 9 stars! Problem solved!!
I like South Carolina, beautiful places, smiling faces. However supposedly California will be split along the San Andrea fault several centuries down the road and become it's own country, as Californians have always imagined. That would be 49 states room for 1.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:23 AM

65 posts, read 292,283 times
I'm all for statehood if it means that Internet retailers will finally put GU in their pulldown menus for shipping addresses

Seriously, though, I think the status quo seems to be working just fine.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 16,752 times
I didn't even know GU was the code for Guam.
That's how much we learn in HISTORY class!!
But I think that's another thread!

Old 06-30-2008, 04:46 PM

15 posts, read 63,357 times
I think Guam needs to get their act together before even considering statehood. They need to streamline their government, they have way too many senators (for a tiny island) and what is the deal with having Mayors and Vice Mayors for every village? It smacks of Spanish colonialism; the Government of Guam (aka GOVGUAM) is too busy creating jobs and not meeting the needs of the people they serve. Guam wants statehood so they can get their hands in the big Federal cookie jar, so they can continue operating the way they have been doing since 1968. Right now they are just waiting for the US Marines to come to the island so they get a share of the billions of dollars that have been set aside by the US and Japan to relocate the US Marines from Okinawa. Until that day arrives public schools are in disrepair, the infrastructure needs to be upgraded, and our medical facilities is suffering. Giving Guam statehood is like giving a teenager who doesn't know how to drive well the keys to the family's new car. GovGuam needs to show it can govern itself and serve the people well before they even petition to ask for statehood!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,236 times
I don't know that much about politics, I'll be the first to admit but I did just return from 10 days of vacation on Guam and I loved every minute of it. I was surprised to see how poor it was though and I am very disappointed in our country for not taking better care of it. I think the US government should do more for the country and the people. Do I think they should become a state? I don't know. I did ask that question to a few of the locals on my trip and they all answered yes to that question. But they were all part of the younger generation as well.

As for the comment on the Marines that are being transferred there from Okinawa. Just so you know, the Marine's are being kicked out of Okinawa. As a military wife myself (not a marine's wife) Its a shame and an embarrassment to the entire US Armed Forces.

And for splitting up California, Never! Hahahaha California should rule the world! There's a reason our population is so large. It's because we are so awesome! LOL

Old 07-12-2008, 01:54 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
US failed to defend it.
Actually we did, the US Marine garrison and the Guamanian Insular Guard were prepared to fight the Japanese invasion force but the territorial governor ordered a surrender after a 4 hour battle for fear that the fighting would bring harm to the civilian population. Remember there were only about 150 US Marines, 270 US Naval personnel, and about 150 Guamanian Insular Guardsmen against about 6,500 Japanese ... not exactly good odds even more so when you consider that more then half of your force is made up of sailors with minimal infantry and small arms training. The Japanese also had about 2 dozen vessels against a single US Navy minesweeper.

I will agree with you, US territories do have very little in the way of defense, American Samoa for example just has a few Army reservists while the other 4 territories all at least have an Army and Air National Guard but only Guam has an active duty military presence ... I think active duty forces all left Puerto Rico as a snub to their economy over the Vieques issue. Ever since Roosevelt Roads closed and put 10,000 people out of work they have been begging for the US Navy to come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories