U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Puerto Rico's most popular sport as of 2010?
Baseball 11 52.38%
Basketball 6 28.57%
Boxing 2 9.52%
Volleyball 0 0%
Tennis 0 0%
Soccer 2 9.52%
Golf 0 0%
Other (Please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:17 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,353,044 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to start this thread because I think that the sport landscape in Puerto Rico has changed a lot in recent years. For example, baseball, which once was the dominant sport, has lost a lot of popularity throughout the overall population due to Major League Baseball drafting procedure changes that have resulted in less number of Puertorrican players in modern baseball. In contrast, soccer has grown a lot within the younger population due to the success of the Islanders, a second tier US professional soccer team based in Bayamon, and the constant broadcast of European league matches in local TV sport channels which have made players like Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, the new role models for this generation of sport aficionados. Twenty years ago, a soccer ball in a Puerto Rico neighborhood was as strange as a Puertorrican not eating pork in Christmas, today it is not unusual to witness a soccer match in several different public parks around town. Basketball and Volleyball have kept a somewhat constant fan base, basketball being arguably the most played sport at all skill levels, and female volleyball becoming the most popular spectator sport. In the individual arena, tennis has been the leading sport for years, and also the most played at the amateur level, second only to basketball. Golf has also gained much popularity as a result of highly visible competitions like the Puerto Rico Open, and the many state of the art golf courses made available in eastern Puerto Rico. Boxing on the other hand is a very famous spectator sport because of the accomplishments of boxers like Tito Trinidad, and Miguel Cotto, but not too many people follow boxing as a professional sport. Here is my list of the most popular sports in Puerto Rico as of 2010:

1) Basketball
2) Volleyball
3) Tennis
4) Baseball
5) Soccer
6) Boxing
7) Golf

What do you think of this list? Is there any other sport that is breaking ground in Puerto Rico? Have I missed a sport that is very popular in Puerto Rico?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 AM
mym

690 posts, read 1,013,141 times
PRAFF - Puerto Rico American Football Federation

small but there, puerto rico's own semi-pro american football league.

i played for two teams in the late 90's, rio piedras and carolina and it was alot of fun.

we practiced at the parque central until about 9, which was when the automatic gunfire would start at the caserio nearby.

one time we were playing in catano when halfway through the game the national guard shows up in humvees armed to the teeth. they pull up and just start laughing so we took a break to see what was up. turns out someone had heard the commotion and had called the police saying there was a huge gang fight going on. they stayed and watched the rest of the game.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:54 AM

241 posts, read 1,007,802 times
I'd place tennis under boxing. You can find local boxing on TV, you can't find tennis. Plus, I just see boxing being more popular than tennis. In fact, golf might have possibly beaten tennis courts. Those golf events garner a lot of attention because they appeal to tourists.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 AM

132 posts, read 266,890 times
Baseball year round!!!!!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:09 AM

Yeah, I've known of the existence of american football in PR for a long time. I remember the Pee Wee leagues. Though, the sport have never caught on with the majority of the population.

I agree with boxing being more popular than tennis as an spectator sport, but on average I think more people watch/play tennis. In fact I think boxing might be the most popular sport on TV, but I was trying to make a comparison of watched/played numbers. Golf is still seen as a tourist/"gringo" thing.

I want to believe that baseball is the most popular, because that is my favorite sport, but for some reason I only found myself debating baseball with the older population, 50-65.

Thanks for posting, I think is a very interesting topic!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 PM

26 posts, read 109,461 times
Boxing and Basketball have always been on the top, and of course baseball. American football never peaked an interest.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:09 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,732,354 times
I still think it's baseball. Hope it can reach it's heyday again.

G Man

Old 12-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
I still think it's baseball. Hope it can reach it's heyday again.

G Man
I wish that too. I think we have had the richest sport history in baseball. I grew up looking up to some of the best like Roberto Alomar, and Ivan Rodriguez. Locally, I think whoever is in charge of our Winter Professional League is making a real awful job. I've been following it because Caguas Criollos is my favorite team, and they are number 1 this season, but there's no marketing, no interest to catapult the league to its golden year. The website for the league is not even running. I have to say though that the Criollos have a really good website.

I personally think that basketball is a great sport except for the height factor. That alone has made it almost impossible for Puertorricans to shine in the sport.

I do believe that we have a great future in soccer.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 10,929 times
There's no way soccer will be a dominant sport in Puerto Rico. At this point there are no professional players or stars that are Puerto Rican or any in the near future. In order for popularity to increase it must be developed at all levels from children to pro athletes. Although the Islanders have a couple or boricuas in it, USBL is not a premier league. In addition, soccer is boring for Puerto Rican tastes.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 AM

33 posts, read 103,774 times
Soccer over boxing? Are you crazy? I will say that the PR boxers are having kind of a nightmarish season right now but after baseball, boxing is more of the national sport of the Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories