Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,425,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush71 View Post
somebody forgot that Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory for over 100 years and most "whites" that come to Puerto Rico do to invest, either as tourists or business investors. Without them, Puerto Rico's economy would be really bad. If you really want to hurt Puerto Rico's economy keep up with that attitude.

They don't need to assimilate and assimilate to what? to the "charrerias and cafrerias" of some natives in the island?

its funny, if a "white" American said the same thing about a minority, he be labeled a racist and crucified but minorities can make the same remarks and its not racist.
"Rush" after Limbaugh, I presume...

Old 09-20-2013, 04:37 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,283 times
I wish I would've never written this, please just let it die.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:04 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,179 times
It's so easy to be destructive and tear down. Yet, it's a lot more difficult be constructive and build up. Take for example the World Trade Center. It took 7 years to build the towers. Yet, if I'm not mistaken, it took 56 minutes to destroy them.

In similar fashion, it is very easy to tear someone down; to criticize and belittle others. Conversely, it takes a lot more physical/spiritual/mental/emotional effort to build someone up; to find words of praise; to simply say something nice.

Maybe this post doesn't fit too well into the subject matter of this thread. But, it would be kinda nice if we - no matter what we call ourselves (e.g., Boricuas, Americans, US Citizens, etc.,) - did our best to get along with others of the USA. Truthfully, whether we like it or not, the fact is that we're all in this together. We might as well get along. We might as well make the best of what we have.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:35 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
That precisely why the numbers of statehood keep growing, or is it that you really thought islanders really wanted to become Gringos?

However when push comes to shove and Congress sets its conditions for statehood, if ever, let's see what happens. Will Congress want 60%, 75% or 90% voting for statehood? Who knows?

However we deal here as if Gringos were dumb. They already know that if given a chance Puerto Ricans will pick statehood in great numbers, for the reasons you've stated before, not for love of Gringos. It's the BENEFITS dummy.

If Congress really wanted to solve this 115 year old pain in the rear end, they would have payed attention to the results of the last plebiscite, however they didn't even care. One or two Congressmen said something, but of course they know that elections are near and need contributions from Statehood big wigs on the island

The question is will Gringos buy our shtick for statehood or instead give us a kick in our rear end and send us out to swim with the sharks like all people should learn to do.
Hawaii got 90% vote for statehood. PR will never get numbers like that. It is very obvious the island has divided emotions about being a full part of the US. Don't think that will ever change.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perlamaria View Post
Im tired of this look how we have to assimilate into american culture and we are still treated like **** most of the ones that come to puerto rico are white they don't learn spanish nor try to assimilate into our culture I really don't like that,you don't like how we do things here get the f out move back to your farms
Hell ya! You tell them perla! I am an american born and raised but of mexican and spanish decent and it sucks that I have to assimilate into american ways and then i still get discriminated against and told to go back to mexico, when my family was in northern mexico(now texas) longer than most people.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
somebody forgot that Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory for over 100 years and most "whites" that come to Puerto Rico do to invest, either as tourists or business investors. Without them, Puerto Rico's economy would be really bad. If you really want to hurt Puerto Rico's economy keep up with that attitude.

They don't need to assimilate and assimilate to what? to the "charrerias and cafrerias" of some natives in the island?

its funny, if a "white" American said the same thing about a minority, he be labeled a racist and crucified but minorities can make the same remarks and its not racist.
Why do you think we say it? When it comes down to a white person and a minority, who is more likely to be more racist? I'll give you a hint, it's not the minority...

Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 PM

396 posts, read 364,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Why do you think we say it? When it comes down to a white person and a minority, who is more likely to be more racist? I'll give you a hint, it's not the minority...

you base this on what, your own experience?..........racism comes in all colors and cultures.....they all could nasty and hateful but obviously you have a problem with white people in general to make that comment.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 PM

396 posts, read 364,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Hell ya! You tell them perla! I am an american born and raised but of mexican and spanish decent and it sucks that I have to assimilate into american ways and then i still get discriminated against and told to go back to mexico, when my family was in northern mexico(now texas) longer than most people.

who makes you assimilate in the U.S.?.....You can be who you want to be, if you want to wear your mariachi clothes, mexican sombrero and listen to your cucaracha music out loud and eat your chimichangas and re-fried beans, who is stopping you?

if you want to learn about real discrimination, why don't you go down to Mexico and see how Mexicans treat there "compatriotas" up north who are Americans.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
who makes you assimilate in the U.S.?.....You can be who you want to be, if you want to wear your mariachi clothes, mexican sombrero and listen to your cucaracha music out loud and eat your chimichangas and re-fried beans, who is stopping you?

if you want to learn about real discrimination, why don't you go down to Mexico and see how Mexicans treat there "compatriotas" up north who are Americans.
I have been to mexico..and they treat them just fine, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories