U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 AM
 
491 posts, read 316,094 times
Reputation: 2004

Advertisements

Amen to that! Let's try to get a Puerto Rico forum started....

 
Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 AM
 
491 posts, read 316,094 times
Reputation: 2004
//www.city-data.com/forum/about...ico-forum.html

I just started this thread to see if we can get a PR forum. We can only try...
 
Old 09-13-2007, 09:33 PM
 
491 posts, read 316,094 times
Reputation: 2004
It seems like it worked out! Check out an administrator's reply to my thread. Let's make good use of it to be able to talk about anything else besides traveling to Puerto Rico...

//www.city-data.com/forum/about...ml#post1489436
 
Old 09-13-2007, 09:56 PM
940
 
13,789 posts, read 7,435,394 times
Reputation: 6878
Congrats purtex...this is a great idea...glad to see a place for chatting about US Territories, especially Puerto Rico!!!

Thanks, Admin!!
 
Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 PM
 
491 posts, read 316,094 times
Reputation: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythspell View Post
mlv311 & purtex,

Thanks again for your replies and information. I really appreciate it. Your responses were definitely what I was hoping to read. The only reason I had any concern is because of a short thread I had seen on another forum (it was from 2005) where someone else was asking about relocation to Puerto Rico and got a reply back from a resident of Puerto Rico part of which said "The basic Puerto Rico local is a nice person, helpful and appreciative, yet there is a lot of anti-american feeling coming to the surface more and more."

Obviously it's never a good idea to rely on just one random posting found on the internet - that's why I wanted to get input from others. So, thanks again. And if anyone else reads this and wants to add their comments, please do - especially if you have any ideas/suggestions/etc about relocating to the mountain/lake region. I think the biggest problem will be if we can manage to move there before retirement. To do that would require my wife to be able to find a job - the good news is that she already knows some Spanish but the bad news is there are hardly any jobs in her field (IT - Information Technology) within reasonable driving distance - e.g. Arecibo or Ponce. So, all of this could be years away but we'll hope for the best.

P.S. - It's really a shame they don't have a dedicated Puerto Rico forum on here like they do for each of the 50 states. If anyone knows any of the site staff or how to make that suggestion, that would be great. Considering Puerto Rico has a population larger than several states and there are a lot of people moving back and forth between there, I definitely think its own forum is justified.
Hey mythspell, we did it! Thank you for the input!! See you there!!!
 
Old 09-14-2007, 05:21 AM
 
59 posts, read 344,071 times
Reputation: 55
Outstanding. See you there!
 
Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 AM
 
1,261 posts, read 5,689,204 times
Reputation: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by purtex View Post
Hey mythspell, we did it! Thank you for the input!! See you there!!!
Thanks Purtex. Great suggestion.
 
Old 09-14-2007, 09:37 PM
 
109 posts, read 305,292 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythspell View Post
mlv311 & purtex,

Thanks for your replies. To both of you, if someone relocated to an inland area up in the mountains - such as Utuado/Arecibo - do you think they could get by in English during the first year until they had a chance to learn some Spanish? For example, typical stuff such as getting signed up for electricity/water/telephone/driver's license/etc. and common activities such as grocery shopping/post office/etc. I have no doubt this would not be an issue in San Juan or tourist areas along the coast but obviously I'm less sure about the area above. Also, do either of you have any experience in that area to know how receptive they are to mainlanders moving there? I only ask because I've read, for example, that in Hawaii there is a certain amount of hatred/discrimination by the native Hawaiians towards mainlanders who move there. Since Puerto Rico is also an island separated from the U.S. mainland by both distance and culture, I wanted to get a sense of whether there was anything like that there as well - especially after Purtex's comment that they are scared to speak English, which gives the impression that there is some discrimination or hatred against english-speakers.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer into what things might be like if relocating to the Utuado/Arecibo area.
Hello there!

I might be able to help you. I've lived my whole life in Arecibo, Puerto Rico. Arecibo is not "up in the mountains" and Utuado does have mountains but is more located to the center of the island. I'm surprised to learn there are people still thinking in the PR of the 50's and here's why: People in PR do speak English for the most part, you will find people who doesn't but is has nothing to do with what part of the island the live at. I've never lived in the states, learned English at school. My sister, same story and she's been teaching English at Austin, Texas High School for 10 years now.

In Arecibo you won't find any discrimination. You can feel free to come and visit or stay. It's normal and legit to have fears when we visit a foreign country. I've visited the states and can relate to that. This island have more complicated issues than the English-language and bilingual people. If you like it here and decide to stay, eventually you'll learn some spanish.

You may find some people that doesn't speak the language, English is not our first language and is not a direct part of our culture and naturally some people hesitate to speak it but this island has evolved a lot and two out of four people without a doubt speaks the language not perfectly though.

We are a "freely associated commonwealth", we are part of the United States and born US citizens, we have a bond with the United States, there's no such thing as hate for English speakers, that I can assure you
 
Old 09-14-2007, 10:16 PM
 
109 posts, read 305,292 times
Reputation: 40
Thumbs up It was about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by purtex View Post
It seems like it worked out! Check out an administrator's reply to my thread. Let's make good use of it to be able to talk about anything else besides traveling to Puerto Rico...

//www.city-data.com/forum/about...ml#post1489436
Thank you purtex, it was about time for us to have where to express ourselves about our beloved "isla del encanto". Well done, see you there
 
Old 09-15-2007, 01:58 PM
 
59 posts, read 344,071 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeanppl View Post
Hello there!

I might be able to help you. I've lived my whole life in Arecibo, Puerto Rico. Arecibo is not "up in the mountains" and Utuado does have mountains but is more located to the center of the island. I'm surprised to learn there are people still thinking in the PR of the 50's and here's why: People in PR do speak English for the most part, you will find people who doesn't but is has nothing to do with what part of the island the live at. I've never lived in the states, learned English at school. My sister, same story and she's been teaching English at Austin, Texas High School for 10 years now.

In Arecibo you won't find any discrimination. You can feel free to come and visit or stay. It's normal and legit to have fears when we visit a foreign country. I've visited the states and can relate to that. This island have more complicated issues than the English-language and bilingual people. If you like it here and decide to stay, eventually you'll learn some spanish.

You may find some people that doesn't speak the language, English is not our first language and is not a direct part of our culture and naturally some people hesitate to speak it but this island has evolved a lot and two out of four people without a doubt speaks the language not perfectly though.

We are a "freely associated commonwealth", we are part of the United States and born US citizens, we have a bond with the United States, there's no such thing as hate for English speakers, that I can assure you
Thanks very much for your reply. I appreciate your comments and information. I do know that Arecibo is not "up in the mountains" but I was thinking of living more in the area in or around Utuado (mountain/lake region) and probably working in Arecibo. I know that as of the 2000 census, Arecibo had a population of a little over 100K. And I've also heard that there are quite a few large U.S. companies (mostly pharmaceuticals?) in the area. So I thought Arecibo would probably be the best bet for my wife to find a job in the I.T. field. If living in the middle of the island then Ponce would be a possibility in the other direction but even though it is a bigger city, I get the impression there are fewer tech jobs there. I don't know that for sure, it's just the initial impression I've gotten. If anyone has any comments or suggestions about any of this, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!!!

P.S. - Anyone spent any time up in the interior mountain area? I've heard the temperatures there are about 10-15 degrees cooler than elsewhere. Would you agree that's accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top