Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,378,920 times

Advertisements

There's an interesting article in the Daily Sun today about the problem of dead animals left on the road and how PR loses about 15 million on tourism because of it. One of the issues is how to get municipalities and governmental agencies to comply with a law already on the books for the well-being and protection of animals

The abuse of animals is not something I have ever been able to get used to here - seeing all the stray dogs and cats (there are an estimated 100,000) as well as the mistreated horses and yes, the disgust of seeing rotten animal carcasses week after week on the road. It wasn't that long ago that we had the scandal of employees from an animal control agency caught throwing 80 animals off a bridge. With only 8 shelters for the entire island and the common practice of **** fighting and pastimes leading to places like "dead dog beach" one wonders what it will take to change the public apathy or acceptance of animal abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 11:39 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,038,067 times
Yeah it seems to be a serious problem! When I drive around I think, "Every municipality must have a salaried job where someone goes around all day picking up animal carcasses". It's not only sad with the strays, but it can be dangerous and nerve-wracking. I can't tell you how many dogs I've had to convince to not attack when I first moved.. they're obviously smart enough to pick up on the fact that I am from somewhere else and they don't like it one bit! It's especially sad because I love dogs

Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 PM

91 posts, read 338,101 times
Well, no law in the world will work when it's counter-culture. Traditionally, Puerto Ricans are not particular dog lovers; most are rather afraid and/or rude to them. And many who have dogs do it simply for protection, to scare off intruders, or to be alerted when someone comes by.

That said, I think this could be a product of the island's colonial past; Europeans brought dogs to hunt down slaves. Somehow, the idea of dog either as enemy or as utilitarian is there ingrained in the collective psychology of the people.

[LEFT]"Juan Ponce de León, in his position as governor of Puerto Rico, used his dogs to put down slave rebellions and instill fear into the native population. His favorite war dog, Becerrillo, became notorious throughout the settlement."
Read more at Suite101: War Dogs of the Spanish Conquistadors War Dogs of the Spanish Conquistadors
[/LEFT]

Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,900,286 times
Very sad but this is true. Although I do hope this will change someday!

Old 12-08-2010, 05:50 AM

355 posts, read 717,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler00 View Post
That said, I think this could be a product of the island's colonial past; Europeans brought dogs to hunt down slaves. Somehow, the idea of dog either as enemy or as utilitarian is there ingrained in the collective psychology of the people.
Are you serious? What a ridiculous concept.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage1 View Post
Are you serious? What a ridiculous concept.
So what's your take on it? What's your unridiculous concept?

This is my theory from living 40 years in the island, always having a dog. I compare this to the experience of living 2 years in the mainland (with dog), where people treat dogs quite differently.

Puerto Rico is not a particularly dog-as-a-pet-loving society, period. Perhaps you want to argue otherwise.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:44 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,754 times
i agree with traveler00 somewhat. after living in pr i moved to nyc and lived in wash heights for years. dominicans were the same way with dogs. Ponce de Leon had a vicious war dog that would rip your nuts off and i believe this was documented in by that one friar. he's pretty historically famous i just cant think of his name right now. de las casas maybe.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
i agree with traveler00 somewhat. after living in pr i moved to nyc and lived in wash heights for years. dominicans were the same way with dogs. Ponce de Leon had a vicious war dog that would rip your nuts off and i believe this was documented in by that one friar. he's pretty historically famous i just cant think of his name right now. de las casas maybe.
Bartolomé de las Casas.

I would say that most Latin Americans are similar in this respect (having very similar background and similar current situation).

Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM

355 posts, read 717,396 times
No argument. I am saying that your statement about the dog's lack of popularity in Puerto Rico being due to Ponce de Leon having an attack dog and that because of this millions of Puertorrequeños have a negatively biased collective psychology towards dogs is....an entertaining theory.

You are correct in saying that dogs have a less that ideal status in PR, but it's quite a stretch to blame it on Ponce de Leon.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,754 times
entertaining theory you say???? the streets will flow with the blood of the nonbelievers! Our attack dogs will rend your genitals. then you will believe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories