Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 12:32 PM

78 posts, read 517,188 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about moving to Puerto Rico in the near future after I finish college, so roughly about 4 to 5 years. I've been reading alot of threads from this forum and other forums online about how Black American men are treated there, so I feel like I've got a good understanding. Suprisingly most were positive, so I might do this. I'm an adventurous/pioneer type of guy so I'm not really scared to uproot my life. I plan on traveling to Puerto Rico a couple of times in the next two years to see if I like it or not.

About Me: I'm 19 years old at the moment, I going to school to be a Mechanical/Robotics engineer. I've always been attracted to Latin women since I was a young boy. Not to come of as an ass or anything but I get alot attention from latin girls my age and latin Women. My mother has Cherokee blood in her and my father has Blackfoot Indian blood in him so I think it because I look a little bit spanish. I get mistaken for Puerto Rican, Domincan, and even a mix between Black and Asian. But that neither here nor there. I'm learning spanish right now regardless if I pursue this or not, so I think I would be a bit fluent if I would plan to move there in that time.

I haven't done any research or anything because I'm just thinking out loud right now.
But is the unemployment as bad as America? I don't think it would be hard for me to find a job because my career field is in high demand but just in case I would like to know? Whats the dating scene like there for a black male? Will the women and locals revolt me because I'm American and have the misconception that all Black Americans are "dysfuntional". Will I be able to make good friends there ( I'm outgoing and a friendly person). Do alot of Black Americans live there? I know the cost of living is expensive there, but would I be able to maintain there with a descent job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 02:40 PM

529 posts, read 1,086,910 times
You'll be most welcome in Puerto Rico but beware, this is not Florida or Hawaii despite both places having a tropical climate. There is a venneer of Americanism, much like there is in Venezuela, but Spanish is the main language and if you expect to fit in, you must learn it!

African Americans are misunderstood on the island, thanks to the nuyorican experience. You'll have to drop what ever you've learned about race in the United States and be prepared to enter a new world of race relations that will baffle you, but in the long run it works better than in the States.

Good Luck! Buena Suerte!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:54 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
You'll be most welcome in Puerto Rico but beware, this is not Florida or Hawaii despite both places having a tropical climate. There is a venneer of Americanism, much like there is in Venezuela, but Spanish is the main language and if you expect to fit in, you must learn it!

African Americans are misunderstood on the island, thanks to the nuyorican experience. You'll have to drop what ever you've learned about race in the United States and be prepared to enter a new world of race relations that will baffle you, but in the long run it works better than in the States.

Good Luck! Buena Suerte!
Not to mention that in my personal experience, most blacks I came across in Puerto Rico where either from the D.R. or the USVI. Not to many African-Americans

Old 09-01-2013, 09:55 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
It's good that you will be visiting a couple of times before you move permanently.

And that you are trying to learn spanish, for that is a big help in living in PR.

You won't have any problems in PR, it is very nice and joyful.

Buena Suerte!!!!(Good Luck)

Old 09-01-2013, 10:04 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
If you have a useful degree, finding a job shouldn't be difficult in PR. Learning Spanish is a must. Many people will know English, but you might venture into areas where people don't speak it on a frequent basis, plus most natives will be more comfortable speaking in Spanish.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoush21 View Post
I was thinking about moving to Puerto Rico in the near future after I finish college, so roughly about 4 to 5 years. I've been reading alot of threads from this forum and other forums online about how Black American men are treated there, so I feel like I've got a good understanding. Suprisingly most were positive, so I might do this. I'm an adventurous/pioneer type of guy so I'm not really scared to uproot my life. I plan on traveling to Puerto Rico a couple of times in the next two years to see if I like it or not.

About Me: I'm 19 years old at the moment, I going to school to be a Mechanical/Robotics engineer. I've always been attracted to Latin women since I was a young boy. Not to come of as an ass or anything but I get alot attention from latin girls my age and latin Women. My mother has Cherokee blood in her and my father has Blackfoot Indian blood in him so I think it because I look a little bit spanish. I get mistaken for Puerto Rican, Domincan, and even a mix between Black and Asian. But that neither here nor there. I'm learning spanish right now regardless if I pursue this or not, so I think I would be a bit fluent if I would plan to move there in that time.

I haven't done any research or anything because I'm just thinking out loud right now.
But is the unemployment as bad as America? I don't think it would be hard for me to find a job because my career field is in high demand but just in case I would like to know? Whats the dating scene like there for a black male? Will the women and locals revolt me because I'm American and have the misconception that all Black Americans are "dysfuntional". Will I be able to make good friends there ( I'm outgoing and a friendly person). Do alot of Black Americans live there? I know the cost of living is expensive there, but would I be able to maintain there with a descent job?
If you just want to date Latin women within Latin culture I suggest you move to Miami. Furthermore, your chances for a job once you are out of college will be much better than in PR.

You probably have a lot in common with afro-puertoricans that live in the states. However, I suspect you will have little in common with afro-puertoricans that live in Puerto Rico and speak no English. Do not assume the islanders will be similar to the ones you have met in the states. In fact, many US afro-puertoricans have little understanding of the island culture.

Lastly, there is still subtle discrimination in PR against blacks. The US will likely elect many more Black presidents before PR decides to elect a Black governor. I vote for Miami.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
It's good that you will be visiting a couple of times before you move permanently.

And that you are trying to learn spanish, for that is a big help in living in PR.

You won't have any problems in PR, it is very nice and joyful.

Buena Suerte!!!!(Good Luck)
thanks

Old 09-08-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
If you have a useful degree, finding a job shouldn't be difficult in PR. Learning Spanish is a must. Many people will know English, but you might venture into areas where people don't speak it on a frequent basis, plus most natives will be more comfortable speaking in Spanish.
yeah i'll have a mechanical engineering degree, but this might interfere with me pursuing my degree in robotics.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Unemployment is extremely high in Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Unemployment Rate | Actual Data | Forecasts | Calendar

I assume that most robotics jobs would be in manufacturing.
Quote:
Manufacturing in Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Manufacturing in Puerto Rico
is the largest economic sector in the economy of Puerto Rico; composing almost half (about 46%) of the gross domestic product (GDP) of Puerto Rico.
Quote:
Puerto Rico Economy
Unemployment Rate: 15.0% (Mar 2012)
Average Hourly Wage: $8.08/hour, well below the U.S. average.
Basic Minimum Rate (per hour): $3.61 to $5.15.
Population Below Poverty Level: 41.4% (2009)
Household income and expenditure:Average family size: 3.6Income per family: U.S. $27,017

Old 11-21-2013, 09:30 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Don't know how much this might help, but here it goes:

Obviously the OP is male and these are women, so there might be some issues that the ladies may face that AA men may not in PR; but, overall, I think they hit the nail on the head on the pluses and minuses about living in PR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories