Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Housing and Safety
There are Good Quality cheap Housing 8 57.14%
There are Poor Quality cheap Housing 3 21.43%
PR is Safe to Live 5 35.71%
PR is Not Safe to Live 6 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:33 AM

44 posts, read 109,869 times

Advertisements

I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered again and again, BUT please bear with this old man and help me out here.

1. Where is the best place to find a very cheap place to live and still be nearby the beach?

2. What are the costs like for the basic items to live?

3. What is security like for a older single man?

I have lived in the Northeast, Texas and Midwest. I'm tire of winters and already left all my ex's in Texas long, long ago.

I spent 10 years in Southeast Asia; Malaysia and the Philippines. I loved the Islands of the Philippines BUT now wish to stay within America.

I have a small pension and need to keep my costs down so I can enjoy the rest of my life.

So how about your best advice and assistance. Thank you in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 06:41 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
My impression is that beach housing is cheapest on the west side of the Island, north of Mayaguez. Groceries are pretty high on the island but it all depends on what you eat. If you are looking for the most beautiful beaches and low crime, I would check out Culebra, but I don't know what the housing availability is there.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 PM

26 posts, read 113,925 times
To be near the beach, it will be cheaper out of San Juan...maybe out by Rincon, west or north west. There is less crime out of San Juan...groceries, electricity are expensive, compared to the states. Here is more on Rincon

Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 PM

Thank you both for these initial responses. I will focus on those areas for now.

Maybe you will have some information on health care on the island?

Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 PM

puertoricoistheplace Just came from the site you referred me to and it's great! Thank you again...

Old 02-02-2011, 10:14 PM

81 posts, read 301,471 times
For me the best place to be is NorthWest (Ramey BAse area) Aguadilla. Milk is $6 a gallon and gas is .80 per liter or $3 a gallon. housing is cheap and you dont have to worry about your saftey to much considering there is a police officer around every corner.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:56 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
I'd say in general the west coast is "where it's at". The rents cheap, it's beautiful, there's always a beach nearby, and the people seem a lot friendlier, on average, than the San Juan area. I don't want to overgeneralize too much because PR is a friendly place, but when comparing San Juan to the West you're basically comparing a big city to less population, that often equates in the courtesy department, same as if we were in the CONUS. I live in the southwest because of school but sometimes I'd rather be in the Northwest, it seems better off economically and has more to do.

In terms of groceries, sure, often you will have to be stuck paying more for things because they've been shipped. But hopefully if you come with an open mind and you're willing to buy local, you will find that you can make your budget work for you. I don't eat a lot of meat, which of course is a huge expense with groceries everywhere. I love the avocados here, I'm content to eat beans and rice every day, fresh fruit is abundant and cheap, locally grown lettuce can be bought at stoplights, no need to get out of your car! I mean sure, if you want to keep your same list from the States and insist on eating things that have all been shipped, it will cut into your budget.

The safety situation here seems to very much be a "mind your own business" thing. It honestly reminds me of when I lived in New Orleans. Horrible things happen, often tied into drugs or domestic violence, and some people can't stomach hearing about it on the news..and rightfully so. But in the end it seems like most people won't make trouble with you if you don't go looking for it. So while the image may be that things are really bad, it doesn't mean it affects the average person.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 PM

91 posts, read 337,930 times
Keep in mind that Rincón is nice, and you may find peers there, but it is not particularly cheap, due to it's name. Try Aguada or Añasco. Cabo Rojo is wonderful, but not sure about prices right now. Culebra, on the other hand, is probably cheaper than Rincón, but it's a tiny island accessible only by boat or plane (depending on you, you may bore to death).
I suggest you look also at Patillas-Yabucoa-Maunabo areas (probably cheaper, and nice views also).

Old 02-04-2011, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 9,980 times
1) It depends. Are you looking for a mostly isolated locale, or are you interested in something more lively with like-minded people? Either way, I strongly recommend that you live in the west area, as it is completely different than living in the Metro area, where the way of life is just like any city: people rushing around, crime, congestion, density, etc.

In the west, you'll find quite disparate places, ranging from quiet, laid back beach towns to more active urban and suburban areas. Mayaguez is the principal city in the west, and even though, yes, it is a city, it is pretty small compared to the San Juan area and the people are different.

I spent a year living in Rincon, an active -- yet quiet -- tourist community in the NW section, but also spent a considerable amount of time with my girlfriend in her SW town, Cabo Rojo, which has the best of everything if you're seeking relaxation AND convenience. Cabo Rojo has an array of beautiful beaches, all types of housing choices, a great roadway network, and has many similar suburban "comforts," like multiple shopping centers, proximity to a major mall, fast food, etc.

Boqueron is a destination section of Cabo Rojo. It's a small beach community with a great little village type "downtown" area with a mix of restaurants, bars, cafes, etc. There are also a lot of retired Americans there, so that could help to ease the transition. I highly recommend Boqueron!

2) From my experience, with the exception of supermarkets, mostly everything is cheaper here. Your biggest concern will be, of course, housing and utility costs, and both are cheaper than most parts of the states (especially housing -- check this: Real Estate Puerto Rico ,Bienes Raices en Puerto Rico Clasificados Alquiler Online). Outside of Rincon (THE tourist destination in the west), you'll generally pay $1-2 (closer to the lower ranger) for a Medalla Light beer in the west. That's a good indication of the overall costs of things.

3) It's very, very safe in the west. While there is a share of property crime (especially with cars near the beach), violent crime is very low, and is almost always concentrated near housing projects. Rincon and Boqueron are both very safe.

Message me with more specific questions about the west. I'm more than happy to help!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:29 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebucats View Post
Thank you both for these initial responses. I will focus on those areas for now.

Maybe you will have some information on health care on the island?
Health care on the island is very frustrating to me. It's not so much that the quality of health care is lacking, although you do see things you wouldn't see in the states (no gloves used when taking blood in many labs, no lead apron for dental x-rays, etc.). The main complaint I have is that very few doctors give appointments. Instead you are given an appointment day and have to arrive at the office and put your name on a list. You can usually expect to wait 3 or 4 hours for an appointment. Lab results take a lot longer than in the states and usually require a separate visit or visits to a lab or office that does shots, x-rays, ultrasounds or whatever tests you need taken. Generally you will have to go back to get the lab results and then take them in hand to the doctor who ordered them. All of this results in extra fees and time delays. I have been lucky enough to have never needed emergency or hospital care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories