Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 02:12 PM

6 posts, read 13,041 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 year-old son and I will most likely be moving to Puerto Rico in 6 months. I am concerned because we have heard that you must attend private school in order to get a decent education and I don't think we will be able to afford that for our son. Also, I have heard that the only private schools are catholic, and we do not practice catholocism. We will not move there if my son's education and future would be in jeopardy. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,372,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMThompson View Post
My husband, 2 year-old son and I will most likely be moving to Puerto Rico in 6 months. I am concerned because we have heard that you must attend private school in order to get a decent education and I don't think we will be able to afford that for our son. Also, I have heard that the only private schools are catholic, and we do not practice catholocism. We will not move there if my son's education and future would be in jeopardy. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Lots of non Catholic students attend Catholic School. They have to religion classes but aren't forced to take communion or participate in other sacrament.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,369,978 times
As EdwardA said many non-Catholics attend Catholic schools because of the quality education they provide and just opt out of any Mass attendance. There are other religious schools available in some areas of the island if that is your preference though.

We were warned not to put our kids in public schools before we moved here due to the poor quality of education and frequent closures.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the replies! Financially we'll have to see if the move would be feasible. Any idea what private primary education costs at a reputable private school there? Any particular towns I should consider/stay away from for education? Thanks!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:34 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,369,978 times
Grade school is between $3,500 to $4,000 per year (including books and uniforms) at the school my kids go to in Ponce.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM

That's not as expensive as I had thought, thanks once again!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:22 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,651,323 times
Yeah private school is not as expensive with what you're thinking of in terms of CONUS "private school". Furthermore, as a product of private catholic education in PR myself, I can tell you in terms of drawing parallels, private education in PR is tantamount to a decently funded public school district in the states. Perhaps with dated island physical infrastructure, but otherwise academically equivalent.

And yes, in an island almost homogeniously catholic, being non-catholic is not even a requisite to attend catholic private school. Not an issue at all. If the ethics or "religion" class in most of these schools' curricula bother ya too much, try public school and see how that fares ya. Probably a mere inconvenience in the big picture. Beggers can't be choosers ya know, this is PR we're talking about, not much in the way of choice when it comes to education.

Public school is primarily geared in PR as a social refugee camp and baseline prep to make it to UPR, which is not hard to do, nor is it even much relevant anymore seeing how they're about to lose accreditation because they can't keep a dozen so 7-year freshmen down there from closing down the campus and screwing up the year for the rest trying to get a degree. I digress.

If any level of private tuition is undoable for ya, don't move to PR, you'll simply won't have any level of acceptable public education outlets available to you, judging from your original thread and the expectations of education you have, which seem to be very CONUS-biased (not a bad thing, just very 'American' in attitude). The island educational system has a very different beat than you're accustomed. Go private or don't go. Good luck to you and the family!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,677 times
Default schools in PR

My husband and I are from the Midwest and I'm a teacher, but with no school-aged kiddos yet. I believe in public schooling an am normally an optimist, but I do have to say the public school system in PR is in extremely rough shape. The Governor laid off something like 20K govt employees last year and cut funding for the Univ of PR so education took a hard hit. There is a plethora of social issues that contribute to the downward spiral from quality education as well, due to lack of ideal family/community environment like crime, drug use, domestic violence, teenage pregnancy. Don't let it scare you away, but it's good to know what you're dealing with. St. John's, Robinson and Buchanan charge in the ballpark of 8-12K/yr (a lot for PR standards; in fact they're what many consider to be elitist). As far as quality...our friends send their kids to Buchanan and say that, while it's one of the better schools PR has to offer, the curriculum is very average (compared to US standards; although people say it's like comparing apples to oranges). I do believe there to be other much more affordable schooling options for you out there. I wish I could recommend some...

(ps--Many schools say they're bilingual but technically they're not. A bilingual school is one in which instruction of every subject is given in both languages, alternating days and not essentially repeating content...here they'll call them bilingual when they have English instruction, thus aiding in the formation of bilingual individuals as a whole bc they speak Spanish outside of school. It's kind of confusing.)

Best of luck to your family. Puerto Rico is beautiful and a nice place to live in many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMThompson View Post

Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 PM

238 posts, read 1,069,572 times
I wouldn't agree that Buchanan is the best in PR. At least from an outsider's perspective, they didn't particularly stand out at academics' competitions. Maybe I missed something, but I went to a lot of Math Bowls and other academic events.

And btw, Catholic schools are a thing of the past. I would argue there are equal amount if not more non-religious schools in PR than there are Catholic schools.

It really is a pity this public school dilemma. But I would argue it is the issue most responsible for a decaying Puerto Rican society. One with no values, rampant crime on its hands and one that is selfish and does not respond to a sense of community.

Still, there are some public schools that are decent. The language barrier might not work out though. Some public schools that look nice are located in Arecibo and Mayagüez. If your student is more art-oriented, consider the Central High School in Santurce, or if he/she is leaning on math/sciences, I hear University High School is good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories