Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, is there any reason why DTOP in Puerto Rico doesn't install any Specific Service signs on the tolled Autopistas (PR-22, PR-52, PR-53, and PR-66)? For those who were wondering what I was talking about, here is what I mean:

While the program was originally designed for rural areas, some states have expanded their use to urban areas. I think such signs would be useful for tourists traveling the Autopistas. This would be especially useful for the planned PR-22 extension to Aguadilla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 06:34 PM

91 posts, read 337,844 times
Do you know what are the parameters for placing a particular business in public highway signs in the U.S.? Is it only for chain and franchises, or is it also for smaller businesses and independents? It would be interesting to know this before attempting to answer.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler00 View Post
Do you know what are the parameters for placing a particular business in public highway signs in the U.S.? Is it only for chain and franchises, or is it also for smaller businesses and independents? It would be interesting to know this before attempting to answer.
Anyone can have their logo up, as long as they pay the fees to the state transportation department. That includes both chains and small local businesses.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:38 PM

Well, one thing I know for sure is that there culinary landscape in the island is different to the U.S.'s, meaning, that there are probably much more fonditas and cafetines (small eateries and coffess shops) than franchise or chain businesses. This fact alone would probably make it more difficult. Also, fast foods or franchise/chain restaurants, to most Puerto Ricans, are no match for the great culinary tradition of the island. I get the feeling that even with the push of the franchises and chains, there would be some resistance in having the logos of Burger Kings and KFC on the scenic highways.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Well, one thing I know for sure is that there culinary landscape in the island is different to the U.S.'s, meaning, that there are probably much more fonditas and cafetines (small eateries and coffess shops) than franchise or chain businesses. This fact alone would probably make it more difficult. Also, fast foods or franchise/chain restaurants, to most Puerto Ricans, are no match for the great culinary tradition of the island. I get the feeling that even with the push of the franchises and chains, there would be some resistance in having the logos of Burger Kings and KFC on the scenic highways.
And as I said, as long as these fonditas and cafetines pay DTOP if they had such a program, they can have their logos placed on these sign panels.

Note that Food is not the only category of Specific Service sign. Other categories include Gas, Lodging, Camping, and Attractions.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Yep, I guess it would do some good, especially to tourists. Locals just know they can get off anywhere and find a Burger King, a panadería (bakery + deli), or a Gulf anywhere.

The government does have small signs for Paradores (govt. sponsored small inn program) and for Mesones Gastronómicos (same for select restaurants). But these are mostly used by locals.

Maybe some reader can point to where this suggestion could be effectively addressed.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Yep, I guess it would do some good, especially to tourists. Locals just know they can get off anywhere and find a Burger King, a panadería (bakery + deli), or a Gulf anywhere.

The government does have small signs for Paradores (govt. sponsored small inn program) and for Mesones Gastronómicos (same for select restaurants). But these are mostly used by locals.

Maybe some reader can point to where this suggestion could be effectively addressed.
I posted it on DTOP's Facebook wall. I am still awaiting a response from them. I agree completely that it would be useful to tourists, however, it would especially be useful on the future PR-22 extension to Aguadilla, since it will be located in a more rural area that will be a bit further from PR-2.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I posted it on DTOP's Facebook wall. I am still awaiting a response from them. I agree completely that it would be useful to tourists, however, it would especially be useful on the future PR-22 extension to Aguadilla, since it will be located in a more rural area that will be a bit further from PR-2.
Still waiting for response... sounds familiar. Well hopefully the will answer indeed, at least an automated courtesy reply!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 AM

Update: I finally got a response from DTOP. Here is their response (translated):

Quote:
Greetings Christopher, First of all we thank the interest you have shown for citizens and tourists who visit us, may have the fullest information possible to reach certain destinations. For this reason, your recommendation will be referred to the Regulatory Area Transit DTOP, for information, evaluation and appropriate action. We are always at your command! "

Old 04-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Better than nothing, I guess.

If they see the money potential, you bet they will go after it; in PR, even government buildings have gigantic commercial ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories