U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 AM

10 posts, read 31,996 times

Advertisements

I'm being transferred for work, and I only have until this Friday (5/20) to decide between San Juan, PR and Dayton, OH. Perhaps someone can help put my concerns about PR to rest, as I do not have the luxury of time for a visit.

The main things people have cautioned me about are culture shock, island living and language barriers. These are not concerns of mine.

The things that do concern me are the following:

Safety. I hear mixed reports on this one. Most of what I've heard seems to be car related - carjackings, petty theft, etc. Is this avoidable by staying in the better neighborhoods? Also, I own a 2007 Jeep Wrangler (hard top); would it be best for me to ship my Jeep there and take a chance on security, or sell it and buy a POC car when I get there? I'm thinking that the Jeep would be fun on the island, but I still owe on it. Also, what about house break-ins/personal safety? I'd probably live in a condo or something at first until I learn the lay of the land and where the safer places are. (I'd be working at the international airport.)

Pets. I have two dogs and two parrots. I know that the dogs simply need up to date rabies shots and a health certificate immediately before the move. What about birds? Is there any quarantine or anything special for them? Also, do I need to be concerned about my animals getting stolen?

Bicycles. My husband and I have fairly expensive road bikes. We'd like to have them there to be able to explore the island a little, but would we be better off to sell the good bikes and buy cheap ones once we get there?

Household goods. Is it better to ship as much as possible (I'm not planning on living there more than a few years), or to sell your stuff and try to find a furnished place?

I know this is a lot, but I only have a couple of days to decide, and I'm freaking out a little. PR is the better option for us overall, but I want to make sure that it is the smart choice. Thanks in advance for any information!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 AM

355 posts, read 654,750 times
Crime is an issue but from my experience a good awareness of where you are tends keeps you away from trouble. Don't know about the birds but I'd definitely take your road bikes. There's a couple of good bikes shops in and around SJ and you'll see a lot of serious riders out on weekends. Check out "La Vuelta", it's an annual fully supported ride around the island. I'd like to do it but the daily mileage is more than I'm up to.

La Vuelta Puerto Rico, a 3 day 375 mile group bike ride around the island.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:10 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,419,167 times
I would take San Juan over Dayton in a heart beat. Bring your Jeep and bikes as long as the company is paying for the move. Don't forget your bike armor...and bring an air horn, riding here could be hazardous to your health...driving is certainly different here...verrrry aggressive.

As an outsider from the country in midwest (and new arrival at that), I see the decorative ironwork used by homeowners to cover every window, air conditioner and door, as well as the carport and entire yard a little odd. I'm told it is more for a "Spanish" feel, than for security (but everybody does it)...but it sure looks like a way to provide a measure of security for your "stuff".

If I can be of assistance with further info to help with your decision, please PM.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-17-2011, 02:43 PM

Good info so far, thanks. Unfortunately the move is at my own expense.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:45 AM

241 posts, read 1,003,579 times
Like you said, more petty theft then homicide, but always be aware. I also doubt of any break-ins if you live in a condo, and your car won't get stolen as long as it is somewhere safe.

Bicycle awareness is an upcoming issue in PR, as Complete Streets legislation and mayors announcing their plans for bicycle lanes, so 2012 will definitely be interesting.

Also, the beaches. You. Will. Love. THem.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
Like you said, more petty theft then homicide, but always be aware. I also doubt of any break-ins if you live in a condo, and your car won't get stolen as long as it is somewhere safe.

Bicycle awareness is an upcoming issue in PR, as Complete Streets legislation and mayors announcing their plans for bicycle lanes, so 2012 will definitely be interesting.

Also, the beaches. You. Will. Love. THem.
Haha... definitely looking forward to the beaches. We live on North Padre Island now and our beaches, while convenient, are, shall we say... unkempt?

Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 PM

6 posts, read 18,338 times
Whoever told you those gates were more for decoration than for security was either not being totally truthful with you or in complete denial. Yes, the ironwork around windows and such can be merely decorative (usually only happens in "el pueblo"), but it's mostly for security. Something you'll notice quite easily, the more crime ridden a neighborhood is, the more decorative ironwork around windows and porches you'll see.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 PM

6 posts, read 18,338 times
Living in a condo will really reduce your risk of being victims of break-ins and such and as long as you mind where you park, your car should be fine (they go more for sedans here anyway).

As for your pets, I don't know about the birds but dognapping is not that common. However, if you have expensive dogs, keeping them inside would be advisable, though it's a completely moot point if you're moving into a condo.

With regards to your appliances, it's always a roll of the dice when you look for houses or apartments that come with them included. Still, unless you could ship yours very cheap, I would personally recommend leaving them behind and trying to find a residence that comes with the appliances. If push comes to shove, you can always rent or, if you'd rather buy, they're pretty well priced here.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmysapiens View Post
Living in a condo will really reduce your risk of being victims of break-ins and such and as long as you mind where you park, your car should be fine (they go more for sedans here anyway).

As for your pets, I don't know about the birds but dognapping is not that common. However, if you have expensive dogs, keeping them inside would be advisable, though it's a completely moot point if you're moving into a condo.

With regards to your appliances, it's always a roll of the dice when you look for houses or apartments that come with them included. Still, unless you could ship yours very cheap, I would personally recommend leaving them behind and trying to find a residence that comes with the appliances. If push comes to shove, you can always rent or, if you'd rather buy, they're pretty well priced here.
Thank you, this is very good information. Condo life will take some getting used to again, it's been a while since I've lived in a condo/apartment. But I will definitely feel safer that way!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:24 PM

24,671 posts, read 64,717,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmysapiens View Post
However, if you have expensive dogs, keeping them inside would be advisable, though it's a completely moot point if you're moving into a condo.
I'm assuming you mean that it's hard to find a condo which will accept dogs? That's certainly the case here in the VI. Some will accept one or two cats but I don't know of any which will accept dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories