U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:34 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,728,459 times

Advertisements

What impact do you think there is between the amount of illegal Domenicans, most of which are poor, and the surge of drugs in the Island?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 PM

241 posts, read 1,015,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
What impact do you think there is between the amount of illegal Domenicans, most of which are poor, and the surge of drugs in the Island?
There is no link whatsoever. Dominicans come here to get JOBS.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:31 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,422,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
There is no link whatsoever. Dominicans come here to get JOBS.
Ah the old "they are just doing the jobs we won't do argument". There is a direct correlation between illegal immigrants from Latin America and crime everywhere in the United States including in Puerto Rico. More illegals = more crime pure and simple.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:19 PM

1,864 posts, read 4,323,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Ah the old "they are just doing the jobs we won't do argument". There is a direct correlation between illegal immigrants from Latin America and crime everywhere in the United States including in Puerto Rico. More illegals = more crime pure and simple.
To an extent. In so far as illegal immigration adds to the population of unskilled and uneducated, which by virtue of said status cannot find gainful employment in an island with already horrible labor participation rate, then yes, illegal immigration contributes to the drug violence and general uptick in crime. It is not however endemic to their race or nature. Seems like splitting hairs, just making sure we don't validate xenophobia while calling a spade a spade is all.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,584,631 times
I haven't a clue about the Dominicans living in PR, since you can't ever get a real answer. Some folks here are living in another time in regards to immigration, I mean their dislike/distrust is far more intense than those of mainlanders towards Mexicans. Not everyone but some people. But I know that the drug trade, or the cocaine routes anyway, are international and involve many different players. Speedboats come from either Colombia and Venezuela and they don't always go straight to PR. Sometimes they stop off in Haiti or the DR and then Dominicans bring them across the Mona Passage. So Dominicans are involved in the shipping process, no doubt.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:04 AM

81 posts, read 284,046 times

Can anyone offer input regarding the safety/crime rates of these two towns? To date, I've never felt unsafe each time I've visited these towns.

I live in Aguadilla and the only crime i see here is people with no taillights and they all seem to think its a race

Old 07-10-2011, 03:05 AM

7,612 posts, read 10,874,048 times
I think this whole crime/violence wave is worst in people's imagination than in reality, and the culprit is the media which likes to make things seem much bigger and worst than they really are. All one has to do is crunch some numbers to see the crude reality.

What percentage of Puerto Rico's population was killed last year?

How many of those were due to drugs?

Where did most took place?

Can you calculate what your risk level is of actually becoming a victim of such crime, taking into account not being involved in the drug business, taking minor precautions, and hanging out in the safer areas?

The answers may just open a few eyes, but not in the alarmist direction.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,432,601 times
Stay out of the projects!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories