U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 AM

44 posts, read 103,629 times

Advertisements

What is the "on the ground" insight about this recent news on the rising drug gang violence in PR?

What areas are effected?

How does it impact everyday life there?

Any compassion to Mexico's problem?

What are the safest areas to live?

Thanks...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 AM

340 posts, read 909,702 times
Rising drug gang problem in PR?? Remember the 80's and 90's?? It's always been bad. Its nothing new. Growing up in my sub in the 80's we had a neighborhood park we the kids could not use because at some point in the early 80's it was turn into a "punto". The playsets got vandalized and every time they were repaired they were destroyed until the association gave up. Everybody knew what was going on in this park and every once in a while somebody would get shot. Up to this day people still get killed on that park. Couple of weeks ago a 17 year old was executed. But nobody sees anything or calls the police. My heart breaks for PR because there are a lot of good people there, but there also are a lot of people that are just irresponsible. Women having children with men with criminal records, knowing the things they are involved with, harboring family members that are involved in the drug and arms trade, you see this way too many times. Then when a tragedy happens and an innocent is killed everybody blames the police and the goverment.

Just last week the son of a dear friend was killed near my parents house. He was killed inside his car in the middle of a subdivision. He was also just 17 yo. 4 shots to the head, on a residential street at 1 AM but somehow NOBODY HEARD OR SAW ANYTHING, it makes me absolute mad and sick.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEng View Post
Rising drug gang problem in PR?? Remember the 80's and 90's?? It's always been bad. Its nothing new. Growing up in my sub in the 80's we had a neighborhood park we the kids could not use because at some point in the early 80's it was turn into a "punto". The playsets got vandalized and every time they were repaired they were destroyed until the association gave up. Everybody knew what was going on in this park and every once in a while somebody would get shot. Up to this day people still get killed on that park. Couple of weeks ago a 17 year old was executed. But nobody sees anything or calls the police. My heart breaks for PR because there are a lot of good people there, but there also are a lot of people that are just irresponsible. Women having children with men with criminal records, knowing the things they are involved with, harboring family members that are involved in the drug and arms trade, you see this way too many times. Then when a tragedy happens and an innocent is killed everybody blames the police and the goverment.

Just last week the son of a dear friend was killed near my parents house. He was killed inside his car in the middle of a subdivision. He was also just 17 yo. 4 shots to the head, on a residential street at 1 AM but somehow NOBODY HEARD OR SAW ANYTHING, it makes me absolute mad and sick.
Thank you for sharing that painful memory in telling "How does it impact everyday life there?".

What area was this?

I have to wonder why the 17 year old was sitting in a car at 1 AM in the middle of a residence area? Seems too young to be out at that time of morning. Just wondering.

OP Quote:

"What is the "on the ground" insight about this recent news on the rising drug gang violence in PR?

What areas are effected?

How does it impact everyday life there?

Any comparison to Mexico's problem?

What are the safest areas to live?

Thanks... "

Old 06-30-2011, 06:12 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,534,032 times
The vast majority of this occurs in the San Juan Metro Area. Coming from the mainland I had this image of somewhat dangerous cities and safer suburbs, but San Juan's suburbs can be just as dicey. Bad stuff goes down in Bayamon, Carolina, Guaynabo, and especially Loiza (not bordering San Juan proper but close by). Ponce, the 2nd largest city, accounts for a good chunk of the statistics as well. The rest of the island can be very hit or miss. My town San German is amazingly safe and calm. When I go back to New Orleans to visit family I find myself watching my back in ways I never did before I moved to PR because San German is the type of place where some people don't lock their doors and one has nothing to fear walking the streets at all hours. A town in my area called Yauco is roughly the same size but seems to be getting more dangerous...so you never know. But there's absolutely no way to compare this to some sort of cartel drug war that is engulfing the place and threatening the government's existence like Mexico of today or Colombia of the past. The comparisons should still be made to places like Detroit, New Orleans, etc...functioning places which can be great to live, but still struggling with some crime problems.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:21 PM

3,643 posts, read 4,521,356 times
From today's paper: 114 nabbed in La Perla drug bust - Puerto Rico Daily Sun - Timely news about Puerto Rico, the Caribbean and the world (http://www.prdailysun.com/news/114-nabbed-in-La-Perla-drug-bust - broken link)

"How does it impact everyday life there?" With soooo much unemployment, dealing drugs is perhaps just another way (maybe the only way for some) to earn a living here...(only 40% of the available work force between 16 and 65 is gainfully employed).

"What are the safest areas to live?" IMO, in the San Juan area, only Isla Verde gets my vote...but that ain't saying much. Not long ago a 21 year old was murdered by a 14 year old in Condado, because he refused to be robbed....

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 06-30-2011 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: added content

Old 07-01-2011, 04:57 AM

3,643 posts, read 4,521,356 times
'My town San German is amazingly safe and calm'...

As a visitor to the island, we find ourselves exploring different parts of the island every chance we get...by chance, we were thru San German, Lajas, Cabo Rojo just yesterday. Granted our very brief tour thru the area was not long enough to see much...I can say that it looked and felt different....safer, can't say, but it had that feel. Calmer, definitely less stressful than the SJ metro area, this area appealed to us far more than any area we've seen. Wide open countryside south of Lajas was a pleasant surprise....

So much to see, so little time

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 AM

Yeah, I love it here. You couldn't pay me to live in the Metro Area.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks folks.

Basically it is the East side of the Island that seems to be the central point of the problem area.

I'm not much for big cities anyways; I prefer small towns and countryside or sea coast areas.

So if I stay over to the West side of the Island all should be OK.?

Old 07-02-2011, 09:01 AM

You're still overgeneralizing too much. San Juan is in the Northeast, yes, but it doesn't mean that places like Fajardo or Guayama are dangerous. Ponce is hot and it's south-central. Aguadilla and Yauco can be rough and they're in the west.

If you're contemplating a visit, if you stuck to the destinations that the guidebook says you'd probably have no sense that crime is a problem here. Probably the worst thing that would happen is someone in El Condado would ask you for money. If you're thinking of moving, you'd have to ask about individual areas. I mean I wouldn't live in San Juan personally but nothing would happen if you lived in certain neighborhoods like Condado, Old San Juan, Isla Verde, etc. despite the fact that that the media seems to portray the whole place as on fire.

Hope that clarifies the situation.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:29 AM

3,377 posts, read 3,823,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
You're still overgeneralizing too much. San Juan is in the Northeast, yes, but it doesn't mean that places like Fajardo or Guayama are dangerous. Ponce is hot and it's south-central. Aguadilla and Yauco can be rough and they're in the west.

If you're contemplating a visit, if you stuck to the destinations that the guidebook says you'd probably have no sense that crime is a problem here. Probably the worst thing that would happen is someone in El Condado would ask you for money. If you're thinking of moving, you'd have to ask about individual areas. I mean I wouldn't live in San Juan personally but nothing would happen if you lived in certain neighborhoods like Condado, Old San Juan, Isla Verde, etc. despite the fact that that the media seems to portray the whole place as on fire.

Hope that clarifies the situation.
Hello all. Should things go as planned, I will be in Puerto Rico within 16 days. Although my family resides in a north central coastal town, I normally stay in the Quebradillas/Isabela area.

Can anyone offer input regarding the safety/crime rates of these two towns? To date, I've never felt unsafe each time I've visited these towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories