U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 12:17 PM

122 posts, read 197,899 times

Advertisements

I keep reading about the crime situation happening in PR. My assumption is that Colombian/Mexican cartels have decided to re-route their drug trade through PR, since it makes it easier to come into the USA.

Why isn't the Government doing something about it, and requesting USA help? I saw a map here with a multitude of murders that covered most of the Island, and most are drug-related.

And why aren't the Puerto Rican people demanding this from their Government? Are they waiting until the cartels take hold of the island, like they did in Mexico, to do something about it?

How long isn't going to take for the people and the Government to realize that they have a problem they cannot solve alone?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 PM

25,058 posts, read 25,648,666 times
A lot of the police in Puerto Rico are on the take and so are the politicians so it makes it difficult to combat this problem. The criminal justice system in Puerto Rico also leaves something to be desired. I don't know how others on the island feel but I used to live there and I'm thinking of moving back in a couple years (not sure though) and I personally wouldn't trust the police or the judges to do their job right. Corruption is rife in Puerto Rico (worse than Chicago and Illinois) and it's not gonna get any better.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 AM

7,801 posts, read 9,329,504 times
The United States can't do anything in a Puerto Rico without the approval of the territory's government. It's written into the constitution that was passed in 1952. I believe the other territories have similar clauses in their constitutions. As a result we cannot intervene in cases of corrupt cops and politicians unless the Puerto Ricans ask for our help. This isent like British Overseas Territories where the British government can suspend a territory's government and impose direct rule as they did in the Turks & Caicos in 2009 in response to government corruption.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:08 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,531,238 times
I don't think the drug trade has gotten much heavier in terms of product, in fact they've tightened up in the Caribbean so much, that's why Mexico is the main shipment point. I just think the economic squeeze is causing more guys to get into the game which results in more competition for the same amount of product= a lot of shootouts.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 AM

199 posts, read 329,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post
I keep reading about the crime situation happening in PR. My assumption is that Colombian/Mexican cartels have decided to re-route their drug trade through PR, since it makes it easier to come into the USA.

Why isn't the Government doing something about it, and requesting USA help? I saw a map here with a multitude of murders that covered most of the Island, and most are drug-related.

And why aren't the Puerto Rican people demanding this from their Government? Are they waiting until the cartels take hold of the island, like they did in Mexico, to do something about it?

How long isn't going to take for the people and the Government to realize that they have a problem they cannot solve alone?
Johnny, politics has been the poison of Puerto Rico since Spanish rule. when it was established as a colony in the 1400s, Spanish continentals corrupted and suppressed efforts of self-governance by the island's inhabitants until the U.S. occupation in 1898, which was not much better as it brought repressive, "eminent domain" style military occupation upon the island until 1941.
From 1949 to the mid-nineties Puerto Rico enjoyed a relatively linear increase in quality of life and prosperity, mostly from being allowed to redact a constitution and elect it's own statesmen, yet government cliqueism, self-serving party politics, McCarthyist-style U.S. intervention and low standards for public education always acted as a damper to what could be considered to have been a golden time on the island for all kinds of development.
Mid nineties-to-date, political corruption and malfeasance on the island has run amok, local press has tied island legislators with large campaign contributions from notorious drug kingpins. Several public housing project have had to be put under National Guard surveillance, as drug gangs have taken them over, the U.S. Justice Dept. has had to run sting operations to weed out law enforcement officers on gang payroll The local economy, completely dependent on the U.S. by law, is taking a dive for a crash landing. Many people in P.R. have taken a 180-degree turn in their political views and refuse to vote, as they ponder the future of the island with helplessness and frustration. True unemployment is close to 30%. There is an anti-government sentiment in the air there reminiscent of the late twenties/early thirties in the U.S., when organized crime, suicide and other social problems started to flourish. Many skilled and professional residents (myself included) pull up tent and move stateside after better opportunities, prompting the government of P.R. to declare a "loss of human assets," whatever purpose for, no one knows. Those who stay on the island are too elderly to make that kind of a change, too underprepared to derive any gain from it, too young or too tied in with interests on the island, all of them complain about the decline, but no one knows what to do about it. I know this sounds extreme, but perhaps independence from the U.S. and takeover by a dictator somewhere between Francisco Franco, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk and King Abdullah II of Jordan would be best for the island.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:25 AM

166 posts, read 579,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriado View Post
Johnny, politics has been the poison of Puerto Rico since Spanish rule. when it was established as a colony in the 1400s, Spanish continentals corrupted and suppressed efforts of self-governance by the island's inhabitants until the U.S. occupation in 1898, which was not much better as it brought repressive, "eminent domain" style military occupation upon the island until 1941.
From 1949 to the mid-nineties Puerto Rico enjoyed a relatively linear increase in quality of life and prosperity, mostly from being allowed to redact a constitution and elect it's own statesmen, yet government cliqueism, self-serving party politics, McCarthyist-style U.S. intervention and low standards for public education always acted as a damper to what could be considered to have been a golden time on the island for all kinds of development.
Mid nineties-to-date, political corruption and malfeasance on the island has run amok, local press has tied island legislators with large campaign contributions from notorious drug kingpins. Several public housing project have had to be put under National Guard surveillance, as drug gangs have taken them over, the U.S. Justice Dept. has had to run sting operations to weed out law enforcement officers on gang payroll The local economy, completely dependent on the U.S. by law, is taking a dive for a crash landing. Many people in P.R. have taken a 180-degree turn in their political views and refuse to vote, as they ponder the future of the island with helplessness and frustration. True unemployment is close to 30%. There is an anti-government sentiment in the air there reminiscent of the late twenties/early thirties in the U.S., when organized crime, suicide and other social problems started to flourish. Many skilled and professional residents (myself included) pull up tent and move stateside after better opportunities, prompting the government of P.R. to declare a "loss of human assets," whatever purpose for, no one knows. Those who stay on the island are too elderly to make that kind of a change, too underprepared to derive any gain from it, too young or too tied in with interests on the island, all of them complain about the decline, but no one knows what to do about it. I know this sounds extreme, but perhaps independence from the U.S. and takeover by a dictator somewhere between Francisco Franco, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk and King Abdullah II of Jordan would be best for the island.
You really were able to hide your identity as a troll for a while with this post.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 PM

81 posts, read 281,928 times
i will say that the coast guard does a wonderful job controlling the water here and if you search for it you will find that they are constantly getting ships that are loaded with drugs. as far as the cops and drugs, there are always operations that involve the local police and the us military that net many tons of drugs and alot of arrests. i have been here for over 10 years and if you are not looking for trouble you will not find it. all the murders you read about are deals gone bad not innocent people in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 AM

199 posts, read 329,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
You really were able to hide your identity as a troll for a while with this post.
You've never actually lived and worked in Puerto Rico for any extended period of time, have you???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories