Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 32,294 times

Advertisements

How are the people here? Are they rude or are they pretty nice?
How many tourists show up yearly?

I work in a job where I get tipped in Myrtle Beach, SC. I can make anywhere from $100 or more a day working 6-8 days straight with one day if none off a week.
Only bad thing about it is that I get laid off in the winter because tourism shuts down here..

Is tourism nonstop in the Virgin Islands or does it end eventually? Are tips about the same as what I mentioned or are they more/less?

What kind of jobs are located on the islands?
I'm planning on moving to St Thomas if possible for a permanent stay. I love the heat, i'm pretty tired of the Winter Season. I love the ocean and all oceans i've seen so far in the mainland are muggy and you can't see 5 inches into the water.
I need somewhere that I can find a permanent year round job where on my days off I can just relax in peace without having any worries. I just want my local grocery store, my place, my job and my freetime.

Would I regret moving to the islands? Are jobs hard to find and i'd end up jobless and homeless?

All information would be GREAT! Thanks much =]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 24,086 times
St. Thomas is a beautiful city! I love it there! A lot of cruises go through there! I would say just be careful with the islanders, they love their island a lot! I would not say you would regret moving there! When I was down there we met a couple that moved there and opened up their own restaurant and loved it there!

St. Thomas is defiantly a good spot. There are a lot of restaurants you could probably get a serving job at! Senor Frogs is always a good spot, it is right by the cruise docks, but I am not sure with how many cruises come in and out. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
This website is designed specifically for people such as yourself and will answer most of your questions, after which you can participate in the active forum.

USVI Moving Center - The Ultimate Resource for Relocating to and Living in the Virgin Islands

Old 08-07-2011, 04:32 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
My wife and I stopped off on St Thomas on our last cruise...there are alot of former residents from the mainland-referring to the upper 48 states-that have moved down there seeking the warmer weather...many work 2 jobs and almost all share a room a room with one or two others...other employment you could look at would be at the pier in one of the many shops catering to the tourists...of course you will not make as much...but better than a box in the rain...as like Nike says "Just Do It"

Old 12-02-2013, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 15,231 times
Hi, I am currently a college student (19 years old) and have always wanted to live on an island, at least for a little while. My family has always been fortunate enough to afford vacations in other countries, mainly Europe, but we have been to island resorts a few times and I loved it. In high school I went on a trip to Costa Rica and fell in love with the whole atmosphere. I have lived on a beach my whole life in a small town but that is obviously very different than moving to an island. I have a friend my age who lives in the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. John) and she absolutely loves it. she describes her days to me and it sounds like a fantasy. I plan on finishing college with a degree in engineering but I want to live my life. We only get one life and I want to spend my early twenties really enjoying the world. I want to live on one of the Virgin Islands for at least a year or two after college. I know jobs are scarce but I have read that its relatively easy to become a bartender there or a waiter, which I have no problem doing. Please tell me why I should or shouldn't do this. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunbara13 View Post
Please tell me why I should or shouldn't do this.
Impossible to answer. Some people come and love it, some come and hate it. Some stay for a few years, some leave after a week. A teeny tiny number make this their permanent home. Who knows ... You'll find a ton of information on the VI Moving Center website.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 15,170 times
The lifestyle, culture, customs, pace of life, etc. are significantly different in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands compared to continental U.S. So flexible people who love the idea of adventure, and a novel community life that is close to nature and its natural beauty, often find St. Croix the "American Paradise" it is known as. However, if not already familiar with St. Croix or US Virgin Island life, renting a transitional home for several months could be a great idea .... which are often fully furnished including dishes, kitchenware, linens, etc (an example of the difference in island life) at a lower rental rate than many US rental markets for unfurnished apartments!

Especially people who have retired, have internet based employment or business, and/or some other independent income can bypass the challenge of finding local employment. Utility costs can be high if you don't have solar or wind power (which can be installed and subsidized by government subsidies or rebates), HOWEVER you do not need to heat your home which in most parts of the US is the biggest portion of utility costs. In fact, the steady trade winds most of the time, and the moderation by the surrounding sea, greatly reduce the need for air conditioning. We don't like air conditioning, preferring fresh air and connection with nature's seasons ... we never use the A/C.

We and many of our local St. Croix friends have found the St. Croix US Virgin Islands the best place to retire on a budget.

Last edited by allegro152; 12-28-2013 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: mis-typed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories