U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,762 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to travel w/ my husband to St Croix VI for a 3 month job (hopefully moving into full time on island). I have to bring my dog, and have all info EXCEPT cannot find online an extended stay that is pet friendly.....no Best Western or La Quinta, so no clue what to look for and having no luck!

All I have found is resorts, and really not wanting to pay 175$ a night for 3 months. Does anyone know of an extended stay (or I don't even need kitchenette....I'll eat sandwiches!) that allows dogs 35 lbs and fully trained? Should I just look for a short-term condo lease and are those fully furnished????

Please help guys....This came about last week, and we got accepted for the job today, so leaving any day now.

Thanks for anything anyone can tell me =)

Aly
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:16 AM

3,643 posts, read 4,519,688 times
Try VRBO.com. We found our 3 month rental in San Juan on VRBO....private home, fenced yard, carport, all inclusive..$2K/month.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-06-2011, 01:42 PM

24,671 posts, read 65,055,421 times
Hopefully better late than never. Suggest you go to:

USVI Moving Center - The Ultimate Resource for Relocating to and Living in the Virgin Islands where you will not only find an active forum but a ton of basic information about moving to and living in the VI AND a classified section where you may find a suitable rental.

It is NOT a good idea to take any rental sight unseen and my suggestion is to leave the dog with family or friends until you get settled. Just FYI, condos throughout the USVI generally don't accept dogs period. Some accept cats but few accept dogs. Also check into airlines where your dog's travel is concerned. Airline transportation of animals is severely restricted during the summer months because of heat.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the USVI and hopefully you'll have a great time here - the VI Moving Center will be a huge help to you. Cheers!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:47 AM

Default Thanks Alot!

STT Resident:

Thanks so much for the response. We actually got the job full time, so will be moving there SOON...my husband will be there no later than Oct 31, and I won't be far behind...have to store everything here, since everything there is fully furnished.

I can't leave the dog (don't have anyone) and am sick thinking he may not make it...but have no options...a job is a job and its tearing me up. We did find a huge place thru the site you reccommended, and Virgin Island Rentals. Do you know anything of this company? The pics are great, and the location will be looked at by my husband...timing is just not on our side. They take dogs, and like u said, noone else really does. They obviously won't hold apt for us w/out money, and I just hate to think of this as a Craigslist scam....not sure what to do...hopefully they will have other properties in case this one goes. I know we are pushing the tourist rental season, but being long term maybe they'll consider just hanging on for a week or two for us.

I read STX has racism issues. Do you know what those are? I hate it anywhere, but in a new place as isolated as STX, its a little worrisome.

I appreciate the help, TONS
Aly

Old 10-12-2011, 04:30 AM

Calm down, I'm sure everything will work out just fine! I'm not familiar with a company called Virgin Islands Rentals but I'm sure your husband will find it very easy to take care of everything when he gets here.

Do read through all the information on the site I linked. You'll find that STX is a very welcoming community and I'm sure you won't have a problem settling in but that site will certainly help enormously with the adaptation. It may sound "quaint" but one of the biggest pieces of advice I can offer you is to learn how to greet people. Before you open your mouth to ask anyone anything whether it be in the bank, the PO, a store - anywhere - smile and say, "Good Morning/Day/Afternoon/Evening/Night" and then wait for the person to respond back likewise before getting down to business. You'll soon get used to it and will end up not thinking twice about walking into the bank line, for instance, and offering a general "Good Morning" as you do so.

You'll be here before you know it and it's very sensible to leave your stuff in storage. Whatever you initially miss will soon fade from your memory and you'll find you'll easily get used to making do with less. Living here is much simpler in many respects. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:20 PM

Being a Southern girl, I LOVE that I will be among people who actually are cordial and polite! And I totally agree...everything left behind will be out of sight, out of mind. I am not a packrat and have always figured all I need is a bathing suit, pair of Levis, and my dog and I'm good!

I did find out Virgin Island Rentals is the URL domain name for Casita Properties. They are extremely nice and helpful, and I am sure it will be fine. I always assume the best of people, and sometimes get burned...part of life

Thanks again for the help, and I can't wait to get back to the water!!!

Old 10-12-2011, 04:06 PM

3,643 posts, read 4,519,688 times
"pair of Levis"...

never wore mine in 3 months, except for the flight to and from.....bring shorts and flip flops. Ship snorkel stuff if you have it, bulky items via USPS....travel light. If you clip your dog, get that done before you arrive, get your pet up to date on shots, favorite dog food....ship it. Like flavored coffee ?....ship that too, doubtful you will find any on the island.

Have fun
Gemstone1

Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 AM

Bring your jeans! I have several pairs and wear them a lot, particularly in the evening when out for dinner by the water when the breeze can be quite chilly. Not to mention they protect from mosquitoes which love to hover under outside dining tables waiting for legs to chew on!

I think the cost of shipping dog food here wouldn't be cost effective. Between KMart, Cost U Less (both of which carry a large selection), pet stores and vet's offices you shouldn't have any problems. Do make sure your dog is on a monthly flea, tick and heartworm regimen.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories