U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 AM

9 posts, read 22,743 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a student, and I don't really think college is for me. It's fun, but I have an itch to leave my corner of the world and take on a life of vagabondage for a few years, likely returning to college after.
I was thinking, as a way to kick it off, I'd go and spend an extended amount of time in our territorial islands of the pacific, probably about a year. Ideally, I'd bounce from island to island, opting to spend a few months at each. I currently do not have any money, but I have a ski instructing prospect that should land me a couple grand, plus the farm, so I'll probably work up about $5000. That will be chiefly for airfare/food/rent. After that, I'm going to have to find work in the islands.
What is the cost of living like? Rent? How much is a gallon of milk?
Is under-the-table work prominent? Where do I find that? (I'll take low-pay grunt work, I'm a farmer anyway)
What should I know?
I'm looking for the cheapest, closest to the "nitty-gritty" island life I can get, in Guam, American Samoa, Northern Marianas, even Micronesia (I think they are a commonwealth?).

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 AM

3,385 posts, read 3,842,299 times
Wherever you decide to go, do yourself a favor by staying away from a little island named Nuku Hiva. Here's why:

BBC News - French Polynesian mayor denies cannibalism claim

Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 AM

24,671 posts, read 65,233,743 times
My oh my. Fresh out of high school, now a college freshie and the fantasies of moving to "The Great North", Alaska and Norway came to naught and abandoned threads, so now you're moving on to warmer climes and the prospect of "vagabondage" in the Pacific islands.

I was way younger than you are now when I started supporting myself. By the time I was 19 I'd already hitch-hiked around Europe twice, but the world was a vastly different place then. The US territories are very unlike what you're used to in stateside mainland and the COL, price of rentals and cost of a gallon of milk will be the least of your problems.

"Farming" (even if it exists as you know it) is way different in the tropics than that which you're accustomed to and you can proclaim until the cows come home that you would welcome the, "closest to the "nitty-gritty" island life I can get", when the reality is that it'll have you cashing in that return ticket in a heartbeat. If you don't even know for sure that "Micronesia" is a commonwealth and of what country then best you do a lot more basic research.

Better yet, take some time off from college and sign up for the Peace Corps or any one of the countless similar organizations who place volunteers all over the world. I've no doubt they would welcome you with open arms. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 AM

9 posts, read 22,743 times
Hahah, thanks for the heads up!

I just looked it up and found that the US is in a compact of free association with The Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of Palau, and the Marshall Islands, meaning that we as Americans are able to live and work there, sans a visa.
So information on these locations would also be useful, if you happen to know anything about them.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast315 View Post
Hahah, thanks for the heads up!

I just looked it up and found that the US is in a compact of free association with The Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of Palau, and the Marshall Islands, meaning that we as Americans are able to live and work there, sans a visa.
So information on these locations would also be useful, if you happen to know anything about them.
Hahah indeed. You posted within three minutes of my pushing the send button and obviously gobbled down that whole thread in just a couple of heartbeats and even had time to look up "Micronesia" as well before focusing on the one very minor point I made. Even there your minimal research is faulty.

No, I know nothing about Micronesia which would be of any help to you and whatever I do know about living in a US territory in the tropics is not likely to be of any interest to you, so carry on kiddo and good luck in this latest proposed adventure.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:04 AM

109 posts, read 387,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Hahah indeed. You posted within three minutes of my pushing the send button and obviously gobbled down that whole thread in just a couple of heartbeats and even had time to look up "Micronesia" as well before focusing on the one very minor point I made. Even there your minimal research is faulty.

No, I know nothing about Micronesia which would be of any help to you and whatever I do know about living in a US territory in the tropics is not likely to be of any interest to you, so carry on kiddo and good luck in this latest proposed adventure.
Making a point without being condescending or patronizing= wisdom.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farouche View Post
Making a point without being condescending or patronizing= wisdom.
Checking to determine if a query is genuine and that the researcher isn't a rather bored and lazy player before expending time and energy on a response = quite sensible.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:23 PM

32 posts, read 145,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Checking to determine if a query is genuine and that the researcher isn't a rather bored and lazy player before expending time and energy on a response = quite sensible.
Assuming that the query is genuine from the get-go and respecting other people = being a decent human being. Also, you didn't have to waste time and energy on a response period. If you were going to be so rude all throughout, the OP would have been better off if you had decided not to post at all. IMO, it's not worth it to deal with someone SO condescending.

Seriously, you've never asked anyone a question in your life with little to no information before hand? People can do research on their own, but this question is actually complicated. There are only a handful of online job postings for these territories, and a handful of websites detailing life as an American in these Compact of Free Association places. Most people don't even KNOW about the CFA, and it shows based on the lack clear, online information about it. The fact that Americans can live and work there is information buried deep in most online pages; even the State department only mentions it offhandedly.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:49 AM

25,058 posts, read 25,739,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandikes77 View Post
Assuming that the query is genuine from the get-go and respecting other people = being a decent human being. Also, you didn't have to waste time and energy on a response period. If you were going to be so rude all throughout, the OP would have been better off if you had decided not to post at all. IMO, it's not worth it to deal with someone SO condescending.

Seriously, you've never asked anyone a question in your life with little to no information before hand? People can do research on their own, but this question is actually complicated. There are only a handful of online job postings for these territories, and a handful of websites detailing life as an American in these Compact of Free Association places. Most people don't even KNOW about the CFA, and it shows based on the lack clear, online information about it. The fact that Americans can live and work there is information buried deep in most online pages; even the State department only mentions it offhandedly.
The OP hasn't responded to this thread in a year, and has likely moved on and not moved out anywhere. It was just a fleeting fantasy of a 20-something year old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories