Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:12 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,910 times

Advertisements

You are correct in your assessment however there are different perceptions of race among the NY Puerto Ricans and the island Ricans. Many NY Ricans have never understood why Puerto Ricans think they're white.To many they also act white, which really means they don't act ghetto but are basically middle class in their way of life.

These two perceptions will surely clash and will never understand each other. On the island if you look white, you're white! In the states if you're Puerto Rican, no matter how white you look, you're non-white or black!

Different societies look at themselves and define themselves as they see fit. Dominican blacks define themselves as Indio, ( Sammy Sosa). To most island Puerto Ricans this is ludicrous, but who are we to define how people want to see themselves? NY Ricans identify with Black but that doesn't mean the ones on the island should if they don't want to. That is why in the census most Ricans identify as White, adding to the confusion and anger among NY Ricans

That might also be why Indians consider themselves white although their skin might be as black as coal. Hair texture and features have a lot to do with this perception. In Puerto Rico it's similar. If hair texture is straight and features are basically non-black, you are White even if your skin color is dark and your genetic mixture is not 100% white.

Its about time Puerto Ricans define themselves as they want to and shake off how others want to define them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 08:23 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
Its about time Puerto Ricans define themselves as they want to and shake off how others want to define them!
amen

i dont like this whole 'the other color sucks therefore my color is cool' crap and i remember a time when Puerto Ricans didnt subscribe to it. People need to judge themselves on their own accomplishment not on the perceived failures of others.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 AM

355 posts, read 717,012 times
Quote:
You are correct in your assessment however there are different perceptions of race among the NY Puerto Ricans and the island Ricans. Many NY Ricans have never understood why Puerto Ricans think they're white.

In the states if you're Puerto Rican, no matter how white you look, you're non-white or black!

NY Ricans identify with Black but that doesn't mean the ones on the island should if they don't want to. That is why in the census most Ricans identify as White, adding to the confusion and anger among NY Ricans

In Puerto Rico it's similar. If hair texture is straight and features are basically non-black, you are White even if your skin color is dark and your genetic mixture is not 100% white.

This mindset is of someone stuck in the 60's & 70's. Society in general and specifically PR society/culture has evolved and moved on, not everyone follows and there are always stragglers who drag their issues along with them to the very end.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:41 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
You are correct in your assessment however there are different perceptions of race among the NY Puerto Ricans and the island Ricans. Many NY Ricans have never understood why Puerto Ricans think they're white.To many they also act white, which really means they don't act ghetto but are basically middle class in their way of life.

These two perceptions will surely clash and will never understand each other. On the island if you look white, you're white! In the states if you're Puerto Rican, no matter how white you look, you're non-white or black!

Different societies look at themselves and define themselves as they see fit. Dominican blacks define themselves as Indio, ( Sammy Sosa). To most island Puerto Ricans this is ludicrous, but who are we to define how people want to see themselves? NY Ricans identify with Black but that doesn't mean the ones on the island should if they don't want to. That is why in the census most Ricans identify as White, adding to the confusion and anger among NY Ricans

That might also be why Indians consider themselves white although their skin might be as black as coal. Hair texture and features have a lot to do with this perception. In Puerto Rico it's similar. If hair texture is straight and features are basically non-black, you are White even if your skin color is dark and your genetic mixture is not 100% white.

Well I consider myself a White Puerto Rican. The educated Puerto Ricans know that there are White, Black or even Indian Puerto Ricans.

Indian Puerto Rican

Taino Indians Counted Out Of Existence - YouTube

Black Puerto Ricans

African Pride In Puerto Rico -Indigenous Blacks Taino,Caribs,Garifuna - YouTube

Old 05-03-2014, 01:06 PM

29 posts, read 39,792 times
Interesting conversation. I'd say that in Puerto Rico, most people who identify as black are 80% of African ancestry or more. I'm black and am from Puerto Rico and I only guess I'm about 85% of African ancestry. I was going to post a picture of myself but I don't know how relevant that would be overall to the conversation.

I didn't think African ancestry would cause such a stir of a conversation, either. I'm surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories