U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:56 PM

215 posts, read 378,912 times

Advertisements

José Celso Barbosa (First Puerto Rican with an American medical degree)

"Dr. José Celso Barbosa (July 27, 1857 – September 21, 1921) was a medical Physician, sociologist, and political leader of Puerto Rico. Known within Puerto Rico's New Progressive Party as "The father of the Statehood for Puerto Rico movement",[1] Barbosa was also the first Puerto Rican earn a medical degree in the United States."

-José Celso Barbosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 08:03 PM

Millito Navarro (First Puerto Rican to play baseball in the U.S. Negro Leagues)

"Emilio Navarro (September 26, 1905 – April 30, 2011), better known as "Millito Navarro", was the first Puerto Rican to play baseball in the Negro Leagues. At the time of his death, at age 105, Navarro was also the oldest and last surviving living professional baseball player to have played in the Negro Leagues."

Millito Navarro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-17-2012, 04:19 PM

8,749 posts, read 16,845,578 times
The reality is Puerto Rico was a mulatto population, until the 1800s when Spain pushed for greater control of the remaining colonies by granting free land to any Europeans which swore allegiance to Spain.

As most countries in Latin America and the carribean had already revolted and were independent, the only countries to receive the significant European migration were Cuba and Puerto, the last colonies loyal to Spain. As a result, there was dramatic "whitening" of these 2 countries through 1899 when the US took over and Cuba became independent. They also received substantial waves of Spanish loyalist throughout the 1800s as each Latin American country gained independence...those Spanish loyalist fled to Cuba and Puerto Rico.

So the Dominican Republic remained mostly mulatto and increasingly africanized due to Haiti and its independence, while Puerto Rico and Cuba became "whiter", and as of the census of 1898 (if I remember correctly) PR and Cuba were about 67% white, with the rest either mixed or colored. Much of Latin American became heavily indigenous to varying degrees with the lack of European migration after their independence in the 1800s, and European migration of any significance never resumed.

However there is still a substantial African presence in PR and puerto rican population, and I believe the 20% average is accurate. Some have much more, some have much less, but I think 20% is about correct...with the remainder being European (70%), and negligible (10% or so) indigenous. There are puerto ricans as black as Wesley Snipes, and as white as "Snow White" =) and everything in between.

SuperWario is right in that if Puerto Rico and Cuba managed to become independent in the 1800s like every other Latin American/Carribean country, the population would have never received the influx of Europeans in the 1800s, and would have resembled the Dominican Republic, mostly mulatto and africanized population. Interestingly, the impact of the Dominican Republic illegal immigration into PR is "blackening" the population somewhat, so there are still changes happening to the population.

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-19-2012 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 AM

5,719 posts, read 18,553,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The reality is Puerto Rico was a mulatto population, until the 1800s when Spain pushed for greater control of the remaining colonies by granting free land to any Europeans which swore allegiance to Spain.

As most countries in Latin America and the carribean had already revolted and were independent, the only countries to receive the significant European migration were Cuba and Puerto, the last colonies loyal to Spain. As a result, there was dramatic "whitening" of these 2 countries through 1899 when the US took over and Cuba became independent. They also received substantial waves of Spanish loyalist throughout the 1800s as each Latin American country gained independence...those Spanish loyalist fled to Cuba and Puerto Rico.

So the Dominican Republic remained mostly mulatto and increasingly africanized due to Haiti and its independence, while Puerto Rico and Cuba became "whiter", and as of the census of 1898 (if I remember correctly) PR and Cuba were about 67% white, with the rest either mixed or colored. Much of Latin American became heavily indigenous to varying degrees with the lack of European migration after their independence in the 1800s, and European migration of any significance never resumed.

However there is still a substantial African presence in PR and puerto rican population, and I believe the 20% average is accurate. Some have much more, some have much less, but I think 20% is about correct...with the remainder being European (70%), and negligible (10% or so) indigenous. There are puerto ricans as black as Wesley Snipes, and as white as "Snow White" =) and everything in between.

SuperWario is right in that if Puerto Rico and Cuba managed to become independent in the 1800s like every other Latin American/Carribean country, the population would have never received the influx of Europeans in the 1800s, and would have resembled the Dominican Republic, mostly mulatto and africanized population. Interestingly, the impact of the Dominican Republic illegal immigration into PR is "blackening" the population somewhat, so there are still changes happening to the population.

I have only stated facts. What do you disagree on?

Fact:

- Puerto Rico's Cedula de Gracias was an attempt to increase European immigration to the island so as to whiten the island.

- Puerto Rico sterilized black and mulatto women, so as to control the population of these afro-admixed people. So while the white population increased dramatically, the black population decreased, because you had more deaths and less births.

Spain and the US wanted Puerto Rico to be the whitest island in the caribbean. All the above applies to Cuba. 2 wings of a bird as they say.

The average Puerto Rican is about 23-24% black, which is substantial, and goes to show how black Puerto Rico was. I think it was something like 50% black and mulatto.

Yes, it would have probably been like the Dominican Republic. The only thing is that in the Dominican, we actually experienced white flight. Every time Haiti took over, you had waves of white Dominicans leaving the country for Puerto Rico and Cuba. We had the Jewish immigration in the 1940's, but that is off set by the constant crossing over of Haitians to DR, who affect our genetic makeup.

Where do we disagree my good friend?

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-19-2012 at 11:57 AM..

Old 05-19-2012, 11:32 AM

5,719 posts, read 18,553,624 times
I love Puerto Rico. You should feel honored that I consider you guys my brothers. Lots of beautiful women, and a culture that is very similar to mines. I have Puerto Rican cousins, sisters in laws, etc etc...No hate for you guys.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:56 AM

35 posts, read 171,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I love Puerto Rico. You should feel honored that I consider you guys my brothers. Lots of beautiful women, and a culture that is very similar to mines. I have Puerto Rican cousins, sisters in laws, etc etc...No hate for you guys.
Thats nice to here, thats the same way I feel about Dominicans, Dominicans are the most similar ethnic group to us Puerto Ricans. were the same nd have very few differences. great people, great country. infact my wife is dominican

Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 AM

DINGA AND MANDINGA by Fernando Fortunato Vizcarrondo (Puerto Rican Poet)

And your grandma, where is she?

Yesterday you called me Negro,
And today I will respond to thee:
My mom sits in the living room,

My hair is kinky,
Yours is like silk,
Your father’s hair is straight,

Your color came out white,
And your cheeks are pink;
Your lips are thin,

You say that my lips are big
And they’re always red?
But tell me, in the name of the Virgin,

Since your girl is white,
You take her out a lot…
And I feel like yelling to you:

You like Foxtrot,
And I like ‘Bruca Manigua’,
You display yourself as white

You are white on the outside
and got into High Society
Fearing that someone may get to know
The mother of your own mami.

Here, who does not have Dinga has Mandinga ha ha ha haaa!
So again, I ask you,

Yesterday you called me Negro,
Wanting to embarrass me.
My grandma steps out to the living room,
And yours hidden from everybody.

The poor woman is dying
Seeing herself so abused.
Even your dog barks at her
If she ever steps out to the living room.

And I know her very well!
Her name is Mrs. Tata
You hide her in the kitchen,
Because Negro is really… she.

DINGA Y MANDINGA by Fernando Fortunato Vizcarrondo

Old 07-20-2012, 06:58 PM

3,226 posts, read 8,300,774 times
Puerto Rican, Dominican are all Afrikan and so is most Mexican.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 PM

355 posts, read 638,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Puerto Rican, Dominican are all Afrikan and so is most Mexican.
Let's all thank imaterry78259 for the Tea Party's position and insight.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:43 PM

3,226 posts, read 8,300,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
Let's all thank imaterry78259 for the Tea Party's position and insight.
I am talking about descendants from the Moors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories