Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 PM

81 posts, read 301,348 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else feel that? 2:06am 5.3 magnitude in the Mona Passage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 06:19 AM

737 posts, read 2,586,818 times
Magnitude 5.3 - MONA PASSAGE, PUERTO RICO (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/pr11351001.php - broken link)

You can subscribe to this for free. Yep, definitely one you would have felt.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
We're on a major fault line here and earthquakes are a very regular occurrence with most of them unfelt. Over 40 years ago, a seismological study was done in the area and the prediction was that within the next 20 years there was a high probability that a major earthquake would wreak devastation. Well, so far it obviously hasn't happened and the devastation from hurricanes has been way more severe!

The most I've ever experienced was some major rattling of pots and pans. The last one I felt to any degree was earlier this year when the rumbling noise woke me up and was strong enough that I was poised to jump out of bed and make a quick dash to get myself into a doorway under a retaining wall. But by the time I had my bleary wits about me to make the move it was all over.

In the mid 19th century a huge earthquake created a tsunami which rolled into the St Thomas harbor and rolled out again leaving countless sailing vessels stranded on the bare ocean bed. Reading first hand reports of that event are fascinating. There was very little loss of life but property damage to the numerous warehouses fronting the harbor was significant. This was obviously way before all the present-day waterfront development.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:11 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Well, Haiti is on the same fault that was "due" for a major quake and that obviously came about in a horrific manner.

Just because there hasn't been a major quake during a short window of time geologically speaking or even anecdotally over one's life time on an island hardly reduces the threat.

Many areas have the potential for a major quake, but due to the relative infrequency, people don't take the threat seriously.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Well, Haiti is on the same fault that was "due" for a major quake and that obviously came about in a horrific manner.

Just because there hasn't been a major quake during a short window of time geologically speaking or even anecdotally over one's life time on an island hardly reduces the threat.

Many areas have the potential for a major quake, but due to the relative infrequency, people don't take the threat seriously.
No point being made here about which to argue. I was simply relating facts for someone probably new to the area who's not used to the prevailing seismic activity.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:16 PM

10,057 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Just to clarify that Haiti is not on the same fault line as Puerto Rico due to two reasons:

1. There are more than one fault line crossing Haiti.

2. Not a single major fault line directly crosses Hispaniola and Puerto Rico.

3. Look at the map (not only are the major fault lines shown, but also the epicenters -marked by years- of the major earthquakes ever recorded):

http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/project...p_USGS_big.jpg

As can be seen on the map, PR is close to major fault lines, but not necessarily on one. There might be many minor fault lines crossing the island, though.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:40 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Not to mention houses are not made out of mud and scrap metal like Haiti...building codes save lives

Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 AM

355 posts, read 1,046,926 times
Haven't felt any of the latest quakes. I think there is somethin wrong with me.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:28 AM

81 posts, read 301,348 times
i never feel the 3's just the 5's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories