Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 7,657 times

Advertisements

Hello to all and some free advice would be appreciated. We are thinking of moving to Puerto Rice later this year, after a planned visit for a couple of weeks to check things out, and would appreciate advice on good locations to look at. We are retired military and federal government so would like to be close to Fort Buchanan if that is economically possible and also close to the beach if that is physically possible.

We are planning to rent for a year or two to see if we adjust to island life prior to purchasing a home. What can we expect to pay for a nice 2 bedroom apartment in a good complex?

We have a car we are planning to bring when we move which I already have a quote to ship. Since Puerto Rice is an US territory I don't think there should be any problem shipping it from Florida. Am I correct in that assumption?

Any other advice will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
Personally, I would suggest a short term rental, perhaps thru Vacation rentals by owner (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/caribbean/puerto-rico - broken link). 3 to 6 months should give you plenty of time to explore the island and to experience living on the island....not just visiting the island...there is a difference. Permanent relocation to island life can be an adjustment some are not prepared to accept. Are you Spanish speaking ? Does your vehicle have easily replaceable front and rear fenders/quarter panels ? Seem like an odd question, but once you witness Puerto Rican drivers, you'll understand.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-11-2012, 01:12 PM

24,469 posts, read 26,003,936 times
And think about what you are going to do about medical options.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:13 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Personally, I would suggest a short term rental, perhaps thru Vacation rentals by owner (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/caribbean/puerto-rico - broken link). 3 to 6 months should give you plenty of time to explore the island and to experience living on the island....not just visiting the island...there is a difference. Permanent relocation to island life can be an adjustment some are not prepared to accept. Are you Spanish speaking ? Does your vehicle have easily replaceable front and rear fenders/quarter panels ? Seem like an odd question, but once you witness Puerto Rican drivers, you'll understand.

Regards
Gemstone1
LOL. That is so true!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:35 PM

103 posts, read 302,172 times
Go to Clasificados Online Puerto Rico Real Estate, Jobs Autos Empleos , Bienes Raices Puerto Rico you will find there properties for rent or buy at local prices not the inflated prices. Im military too active still, stationed here in PR and also born and raised here.

Im going to be very honest PR is becoming a very big ghetto island and I say that with all the pain in my heart cause I love my island. Unfortunately the economy, the easy living my people like to live, an accepted culture of corruption, lack of morals and ethics is turning this island for the worst with no positive signs in the near future. Crime is at a all time high, we have been setting murder records for the last 5 years and we have a higher murder rate per capita than mexico.

Be prepared to pay through the roof for electricity and water compared to any place in the US. I had a 3 br apartment only for me when I was single and paid on avg $150 a month, when I got married my wife brought her 2 daughters and now is $250.

I wouldn't advice to bring a vehicle because you will have to pay taxes on it, unless you home of record when you join the military was PR, it can be anywhere from 2,000 to 15,000 depending on the vehicle. Mine when i pcs here was $7,200, but it was waived due to being AD military on orders.

All and all I wouldn't recommend PR as a retirement location for anyone that is on a low, middle class budget. And once you buy a property... Good luck reselling it cause the housing market is basically dead and has been for the last couple of years, so if after a couple of years you decide its not for you, you might be stuck with a property you will not be able to sell.

Having my job in the AF has opened me to so many options for places to retire, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Colombia and Peru are my top choices right now. I have been to those countries and I will get more bang for the buck than in PR, plus all of them have top notch medical facilities if that is of your concern.

Finally, if you decide to come and live in PR there are ways you can isolate yourself from the bad stuff, by buying or renting away from the metro area (I always recommend Dorado(north)or Rincon(west))... there is a large american concentration on both town due to the tourist environment and people that come to work here either military or private sector. Im familiar with both towns and they are coast towns, lots of views, nice weather, good restaurants. If you can afford a gated community (most of them start at 250k) even better.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 AM

355 posts, read 1,047,209 times
Bunch brings so many true things about the island that somebody is bound to yell at him for being so negative. lol

As Bunch said, murders are rising every year, the total amount got to 1,000 on 2011. Although it is true that most of those murders were because of drugs, the fact is that, if there are many of shootings in an area, the probability of you getting in the crossfire is higher.

I also second the advice about double checking your idea of buying a house. If you are planning at some time to move, the house may become a hard problem to get rid of. You can expect a good house to be worth 250K or higher.

I hope you speak Spanish unless you are planning on not meeting many people. Contrary to what I've seen in this board sometimes, not may natives speak English. If you are planning on going out a lot to meet people, you will sooner or later have to learn Spanish, not fluently though. You can mix in some English words within your Spanish and people will mostly understand you. That's Espanglish for you.

gemstone1 said: "Does your vehicle have easily replaceable front and rear fenders/quarter panels ? Seem like an odd question, but once you witness Puerto Rican drivers, you'll understand."

This is so true. Do not underestimate PRs reckless driving. I didn't know about the high taxes Bunch referred to.

Overall, I second Bunch by telling you that PR is not that good for retired living. Dorado or Rincon may be your best bet, preferably within a gated community.

Last edited by Sunscape; 01-12-2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 02:45 PM

I hope no one takes me as negative, like I said I love PR...it's my place and I'm proud to say it but people that come here are looking for an honest opinion and we should give them that. I have found that this site offers a plethora of advice to anyone that it's anxious about making what it is a life changing decision and we should have the courtesy of providing honest, accurate and realistic information for those who seek it.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Good info, it is what people are looking for when they post a question about moving to anyplace.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:27 PM

OP...the both towns that I mention have close access to military installations. Dorado is 30 min away from Ft Buchanan and Rincon is 30 away from want once was Ramey AB and there is still a Coast Guard detachment, a DOD school and a small PX but no commisary (Buchanan has a big commisary and AAFES). Also both towns are close to VA hospitals but I definately reccomend Rincon as the VA treatment facility doesnt see as many people as the one in the metro area.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:46 PM

81 posts, read 301,471 times
You can go to this link and check the amount of tax you would have to pay. dont worry its in english
Vehicles Excise Taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories