U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,576 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I have been offered a job on Anderson AFB as a CONTRACTOR for about $105 ~ $110K a year. However, I have been living in Japan for a very long time (civilian, no military base access) and I would like to know if this income is good or not for someone in my situation. As far as I know, I will not be able to use the on-base facilities such as the BX and Commissary.

My stats: Male, mid-thirties, single (but have a girlfriend), no bills, no special needs, and have never been to Hawaii much less the west coast.

Concerns:

1. Living situation - How much is a "nice" place? "Nice" meaning, ease of access to base, low crime, cleanliness, space, upfront costs, parking, etc.

2. Transportation - Will I absolutely need a car? If so, how much for reliable used cars?

3. Utilities - Is electricity reliable? What type of Internet access is available and how much does it cost? Smart phone (i.e. iPhone) data costs?

I have been to Guam before but only for 4 days near the duty-free shop and K-Mart and I felt like I was in Japan.

Anyway, I understand that people have different preferences but from the info that I gave above, I would appreciate any advice especially "gotchas" that newcomers are blindsided with and end up leaving.

Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 12,746 times
Probably a bit late, but I'll answer.

1. Living Situation - Just to use us as an example, we live very near base with 3 bedrooms and a garage in a newer, safe home and pay $2450/month. There are plenty of areas with single family homes and all are reasonably safe. Parking is only an issue in the resort area, really, and even there if you have a rental you're going to have dedicated parking. If you're looking for inexpensive, one place you might look into is Perez Acres. It's a gated community with reasonably nice condos, rents will be a bit lower than ours, it's within a few minutes of base, etc. There are some very nice apartments/condos with ocean views closer to/in the resort area which will run you close to the same, I'd imagine, and give you a less than 30 minute drive. Real estate agents here are happy to drive you around and help you find something as they get a reasonable commission for rentals. Other popular places to look are Ladera towers for apartments/condos (15-20 minute drive), Paradise Estates for single family homes (15 minutes), or really anywhere in Yigo - does not have to be an established community to be safe.

2. If you're working on Andersen, you will need a car. The public transport is not reliable. In theory, you could live very new base and ride a bike, but with the heavy rains in the wet season and the overall bicycle friendliness, it's really not advisable. There's not a lot to do in Yigo in terms of restaurants and entertainment either, so if you ever want to go out, you'll need to be able to drive. Taxis are not cheap. Used cars are abundant due to the number of people moving on and off island, and the fact that military will ship cars in for service members. Usually the prices run pretty close to blue book, but sometimes they are a bit higher since some vehicles are harder to find than others. The local paper is a good place to look for used vehicles. You can find their classifieds here: http://classifieds.guampdn.com/osfor...tationVehicles Each base also has a used car lot where individuals park cars they are trying to sale, and there are a number of virtual garage sale pages on facebook where people often post vehicles.

3. Reliable is a relative term. In three years it has not caused us any real issues, but the power does go out without warning. Anyone who has lived here through a typhoon (we have not) will tell you that you need a generator, as with major storms it can be wiped out for long periods of time. The longest power outage I recall was not more than half a day. Internet speeds are a bit pathetic as compared to other places I am used to, but it works. You can look up rates online - the two major companies for internet are Marianas Cable Vision (MCV) and GTA Teleguam. For phone, there are those two and Docomo, also a company called iConnect I recommend you stay far away from. Data costs are quite high as compared to the mainland US, but I'm not sure how they compare to Japan. Our bill with MCV is $135 a month with two very basic cell phones - no data, no text message plan, a home phone for local calls only, and 2.0 Mbps internet.

Anyway, guessing OP has made a decision by now, but wanted citydata to have some answers in the archives!

Last edited by WanderingShoes; 03-13-2012 at 11:47 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 02:46 PM

517 posts, read 934,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingShoes View Post
Probably a bit late, but I'll answer.

1. Living Situation - Just to use us as an example, we live very near base with 3 bedrooms and a garage in a newer, safe home and pay $2450/month. There are plenty of areas with single family homes and all are reasonably safe. Parking is only an issue in the resort area, really, and even there if you have a rental you're going to have dedicated parking. If you're looking for inexpensive, one place you might look into is Perez Acres. It's a gated community with reasonably nice condos, rents will be a bit lower than ours, it's within a few minutes of base, etc. There are some very nice apartments/condos with ocean views closer to/in the resort area which will run you close to the same, I'd imagine, and give you a less than 30 minute drive. Real estate agents here are happy to drive you around and help you find something as they get a reasonable commission for rentals. Other popular places to look are Ladera towers for apartments/condos (15-20 minute drive), Paradise Estates for single family homes (15 minutes), or really anywhere in Yigo - does not have to be an established community to be safe.

2. If you're working on Andersen, you will need a car. The public transport is not reliable. In theory, you could live very new base and ride a bike, but with the heavy rains in the wet season and the overall bicycle friendliness, it's really not advisable. There's not a lot to do in Yigo in terms of restaurants and entertainment either, so if you ever want to go out, you'll need to be able to drive. Taxis are not cheap. Used cars are abundant due to the number of people moving on and off island, and the fact that military will ship cars in for service members. Usually the prices run pretty close to blue book, but sometimes they are a bit higher since some vehicles are harder to find than others. The local paper is a good place to look for used vehicles. You can find their classifieds here: Pacific Daily News Classifieds: Vehicles Each base also has a used car lot where individuals park cars they are trying to sale, and there are a number of virtual garage sale pages on facebook where people often post vehicles.

3. Reliable is a relative term. In three years it has not caused us any real issues, but the power does go out without warning. Anyone who has lived here through a typhoon (we have not) will tell you that you need a generator, as with major storms it can be wiped out for long periods of time. The longest power outage I recall was not more than half a day. Internet speeds are a bit pathetic as compared to other places I am used to, but it works. You can look up rates online - the two major companies for internet are Marianas Cable Vision (MCV) and GTA Teleguam. For phone, there are those two and Docomo, also a company called iConnect I recommend you stay far away from. Data costs are quite high as compared to the mainland US, but I'm not sure how they compare to Japan. Our bill with MCV is $135 a month with two very basic cell phones - no data, no text message plan, a home phone for local calls only, and 2.0 Mbps internet.

Anyway, guessing OP has made a decision by now, but wanted citydata to have some answers in the archives!

You helped me. I will be interviewing for a few different jobs, Guam is one, but right now, Miami, and Pago Pago seem more appealing to me.

Cheers
Qazulight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories